***Earbud Guide - 22 Earbuds compared***
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #241 of 611
Comfort isn't anything special but its shaped much more nicely than the mx880 which didn't even fit into my ear.  I have no problems or concerns about fit with the 9waves

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #242 of 611
I've been hoping to try the 9wave studio (metal) but since they wont be easily available for a while, and I get the feeling they wont be my cup of tea anyway -( really no earbuds seem to meet my snobish standards :wink: , i decided to spring for a pair of open back IEM's

I really only wanted earbuds b/c i needed something to hike in the mornings with that lets in enough sound, and doesn't get sweaty, otherwise I would have just stuck with my tried and true sennheiser px100's. 

So i have a pair of JVC- FX700's (woody open back IEM's) coming from Japan within a weekish.. they are rated right up there with the Westone 4's on the giganto IEM comparison list so I REALLY hope they DONT isolate much and will work for me, so i can move on from the OMX980's.

The 980's really are great earbuds, but particularly their lack of impactful sub bass just doesnt quiiiiiite do it for me.  I still find myself pulling out ye ol px100's whenever possible over the 980's.. eq'd of course.

I may still try the 9waves at some point too.  we shall see.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #245 of 611
Lol, ya I am not going to lie or anything like that.  The mx980 is significantly nicer than all of the above mentioned, so if you are looking for a change or different "something" than I would give it a try.  Otherwise, stick with what you have.  The 9wave gear is supposed to go live here in the usa within the next few weeks, hopefully before the end of july as I am told.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #246 of 611
well, hopefully the fx700 will be everything i want it to be..  it gets really stellar reviews.   The level of isolation will make or break it for me.. otherwise i'll be back to roughing it with the 980's :wink:

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #247 of 611
well of course it does, the FX700 is an IEM and generally expensive IEMS are way better than expensive hanging style earbuds :)

If anything is on the level of iems, its the mx980.  

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #248 of 611
Oh also forgot to add that without EQ, the 9wave NW Studio is dull and lifeless and responds very well to eq, its almost absolutely a requirement :p

As an example, I am listening to the 9wave NW studio right now using foobar2000 and a Fiio e9.  The sound is dull and lifeless and noticeably less fun if there is no EQ enabled, with EQ however it opens up and the soundstage definitely improves a lot, bass becomes pretty smooth and such.  But, as I've said a million times the 9waves have average clarity at best and the mx980 is much more clear sounding. If you want budget soundstaging, the NW Studio is the best you can get IMO

when i switch up between my HD598 and 9wave buds, first thing that is noticeable is the stage depth and overall staging qualities of the 9wave, which are pretty good for a $50-60 set of buds.  Make EQ your friend, you will need it if you buy the 9wave models.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #249 of 611
Dang! Sound like the 9wave are perfect for me! I normally use a bit of EQ, and I usually up the bass a bit and the highs slightly as well. Not too different from your U-shape in Foobar2000. Of course the EQing depends on the phones, but most of the portable phones I have experienced sound better with some sort of tweaking.

I have started to consider the MX980, but they'll have to wait for some time. First the 9wave.

It stinks to be a collector! 
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #250 of 611
well, hopefully the fx700 will be everything i want it to be..  it gets really stellar reviews.   The level of isolation will make or break it for me.. otherwise i'll be back to roughing it with the 980's :wink:

I gave up on my mx980 for this very reason. I am also thinking about fx700. Please report back

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #251 of 611
I don't have expensive IEM experience...i dont consider buds that go into your ear and hanging style buds to be in the same category.  I've never used them and odds are incredibly strong any equally priced IEM will sound much nicer than any hanging bud of the same price.

I rave about the 9wave because its very me and something I've wanted for a long time.  Its light, priced right, easily driven, responds to EQ well, great big soundstage with nice separation qualities.  The bass is "meh" until I amp it with an excellent source like a computer and E9.  Then it becomes silky and a very smooth experience.  Out of my Fiio e11 and my rockboxedv1 fuze, the bass quality is still "meh" after I toggled my brains out trying to get it just right for my ears.  So I consider the 9wave NW Studio to have average quality clarity all around.  the Pro version steps it up a bit everywhere, but has less quantity of bass than the NW Studio

but properly amped the Pro version has one of the most smooth and liquid like bass experiences in a bud.  Even the Mx980 didn't have that, it did have a hell of a lot more but it just wasnt a bass of my liking.  The Pro version has a noticeable "Grado" sheen to it, that metallic type sound and is pure awesomness when you are listening to something like Andy Mckee or anything live, even ripped youtube video audio sounds astounding in terms of soundstaging. Also again, that sense of what people call "silky bass" is a few steps up from the budget model when amped right, but both are no where near the QUANTITY of the mx980  

Some people like smooth and tonally enjoyable bass which the 9waves will offer with good amping.  Some people like deep reaching and resonant bass like the MX980 offers.  Two different experiences.  

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #252 of 611

Quote:
I gave up on my mx980 for this very reason. I am also thinking about fx700. Please report back

MX980's experience depends highly on your ears fit. They don't really require elephant ears to sound good, in fact they need to bo placed directly to your ear canals, not the standard earbud way. When properly fit they sound like an IEM, have deep bass and richness of all sounds. If they're placed in a normal earbuds way, they sound kinda dull lacking a lot compared to what they has to offer.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #254 of 611
I know that. I sold it because I couldn't get all it can give.

Quote:
MX980's experience depends highly on your ears fit. They don't really require elephant ears to sound good, in fact they need to bo placed directly to your ear canals, not the standard earbud way. When properly fit they sound like an IEM, have deep bass and richness of all sounds. If they're placed in a normal earbuds way, they sound kinda dull lacking a lot compared to what they has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back