"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 9, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #961 of 1,906

cool.gif
THIN never crossed my mind in regards to the EQ of my Pair of Shockwaves. Mine have the Stock "Fixed" cable. Silver

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

to me something was missing with the silver cable call it too bright or thin sometimes now these are amazing straight out any source 
eek.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #962 of 1,906
Thanks all for the info guys. I am running my phone at full volume and whilst loud, just needs a little more to drive those 10 SWIII drivers.

I am torn between the LG V10 and LG G5 with B&O Play DAC

anyone tried both or can compare the DAC chips in each?

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #964 of 1,906
I have Various players including Fiio X1, X3ii, XDuoo X3. I prefer them ALL amped through my Fiio E12 Mont blanc. My fav is the "rockboxed" XDuoo. That software just takes it to a different level.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #965 of 1,906
These are getting better by the day. I have about 30 hours with them. The upper mids tinniness/nasal vocals are almost gone and they continue to perform fantastically with every song I throw at them. Tried some brief tip-rolling with JVC Spiral Dots which increased note body, particularly at the midbass, but gives up a bit of its awesome separation and imaging. Still sticking to stock for now.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #967 of 1,906
I have these on the way after returning my QT5s back to Jim, who was very helpful in making it possible after I wasn't too impressed with the QT5.

I hope to share the same impressions I've been reading.

Yes, Jim of HcKex was great on the whole QT5 returns fiasco, am going to pull the trigger on these soon as well unless a flatter 4+1 surfaces that is as good..

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #968 of 1,906
Hi guys, so I noticed the dqsm d2 thread and review were taken down. I was thinking of getting either that or the shockwave, but now I don't know how the two compare. Can someone who has both give me some information on sound signature, level of detail, soundstage etc? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #969 of 1,906
Hi guys, so I noticed the dqsm d2 thread and review were taken down. I was thinking of getting either that or the shockwave, but now I don't know how the two compare. Can someone who has both give me some information on sound signature, level of detail, soundstage etc? Thanks.

They will have to do it via PM because the IEM you mentioned has been banned.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #970 of 1,906
I can now be added to the "Ear Keg" community. Got my Black Shockwave 3s today after deciding to do the slow post (patient 12 day wait to Australia).
Powered by my Iphone 6 Plus and OOTB, holy crap! Amazing freaken incredible soundstage was the first thing that came to my mind. Really felt like a euphoric wall of sound with almost all my music. Bass impact is strong but only when it needs to be and treble for me extends very nicely. Yes mids are slightly recessed but still satisfactory for me and hope they may come to life with more burn in. 

Very comfortable in the ear with great isolation. I will say tip rolling on this thing is a bit of a bitch due to how big that damn nozzle is. I had a real big trouble attempting to tip roll the silicone tips that came with it. Does anyone have any tips so i literally don't have to spend 5 minutes or so to get the tip in.

Apart from that caveat i am in love with these things and am really impressed with how the iphone 6 plus pairs with it. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #971 of 1,906
Also lastly, is everyone satisfied that the cable is strong and adequate enough durability wise? Mine is non-removable so a bit concerned on the longevity of it. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #972 of 1,906

Very comfortable in the ear with great isolation. I will say tip rolling on this thing is a bit of a bitch due to how big that damn nozzle is. I had a real big trouble attempting to tip roll the silicone tips that came with it. Does anyone have any tips so i literally don't have to spend 5 minutes or so to get the tip in.

Great to know you're enjoying them, I've tried them with the stock tips and prefer the white silicon ones. The other tip I've tried is the JVC Spiral Dots which give them a slightly thicker sound, the bloomier bass is noticeable, but sacrifices a bit on the imaging (thicker notes = less separation). To each their own, but I prefer stock white..

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #973 of 1,906

Great to know you're enjoying them, I've tried them with the stock tips and prefer the white silicon ones. The other tip I've tried is the JVC Spiral Dots which give them a slightly thicker sound, the bloomier bass is noticeable, but sacrifices a bit on the imaging (thicker notes = less separation). To each their own, but I prefer stock white..

Thanks for the tips.

How hard do you find changing tips on these? It is absolutely frustrating on mine.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #974 of 1,906

Also, how on earth did you manage to fit the White tips on these? Having so much difficulty atm.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #975 of 1,906
  Also lastly, is everyone satisfied that the cable is strong and adequate enough durability wise? Mine is non-removable so a bit concerned on the longevity of it. 

ksc75smile.gif
No problem. The cable is great quality and strong as well. over 500 hours on them NO problems whatsoever. They built the Musicmaker stuff to last, all of it.

If you can get Auvio tips (they are available on Amazon) they will easily fit these and being wide bore greatly reduce treble brilliance as does a VERY long Burn-in. 350 Hours is recommended.

It took this long for my Sennheiser IE8's as well, so it's NOT unheard of.

Welcome to Kegland Jeff.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back