"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #1,906 of 1,906
Had mine for over a year now, MMCX... sees weekly (but not daily) use. They are definitely on the brighter side, hovering right over the bright/sibilant boundary, changing depending on source and the music. I've managed to tame the high end somewhat, cable and tip rolling (currently using Sony Triple Comforts).
My current devices are my computer, my phone, and iBasso DC05 dongle DAC. I do not own a dedicated DAP but my phone is a Vivo Nex 3s with a AK4377A chip so no slouch in the audio department. Between the 3 options my computer consistently outputs the best sound, both from the built-in soundcard and using the DC05. By comparison my phone suffers from low volume unless I oversample everything to above 192khz.

Other than the controversial tuning for the high end the strengths are all as described by many before me: huge, powerful, unrelenting sound that hits you hard with everything, all the details, all the space. For that reason they can also be fatiguing as you get slapped silly.
It has been said a couple of times here, toneking changed the tuning for the mmcx version to be a more v-shaped sound. The best tuned shockwave are the batches from 2017 wired versions. Although I dont really believe in balance armatures burn-in more than dynamic drivers but I still remember my first impressions on it as thin sounding and lesser low-end than as it is now. I actually modded mine to be mmcx, and the stock cable already sounded warmer than the usual spc cables, the stock cable really gives you the impression of wider staging but bass texture, vocals and imaging suffers a lot. I could suggest you a good eartips to get a more balanced sound tho, check out the Sony EP-EX11 eartips. I actually preffered to use foamies on it a few years ago, but maybe, just maybe the ba burn-in is true, cause I dont like the sound on it using foamies now as it was a couple years back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back