"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Sep 20, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #1,876 of 1,906
Yes, i remember. The tubing causes reflections that increases some frequences like 6kHz and 8kHz. With the tubing the SW3 was more sibilant. The older versions witout the mmcx connector doesn't have the tubing and they sound much smoother.

Ahh i see so thats the only difference between the two, I wished I bought the mmcx version instead. Anways Ive been experimenting with this tubes and hopefully I could find the proper length to bump the vocals a bit around 2.5khz-4khz since I still find that the vocals are a bit behind on the overall presentation.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,877 of 1,906
Nice work dude, is that still the default cable you used? How did you managed to change the splitter?
It's still the original cable as I didn't want to open the keggs.
I opened the splinter with a little force. Fiddled into the plastic filling with a metal tip until it was loose and the metal housing could be pushed back.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #1,879 of 1,906
You could block the venthole with some tape or something and use some foamtips to increase the mids. I think this should work. Don't use the tubing, because it causes sibilance.

yeah, I might actually give up on tuning this drivers with tubings right now, as I cannot bear the treble harshness although its not a peak, but a huge bump. Ill try your suggestions thanks.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,880 of 1,906
It's still the original cable as I didn't want to open the keggs.
I opened the splinter with a little force. Fiddled into the plastic filling with a metal tip until it was loose and the metal housing could be pushed back.
btw, does your default cable also have some noticeable microphonics too? I think this is the main problem with the wired versions of sw iii

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,882 of 1,906
hey guys, quick question:

Will this mod affect sound quality?

2559672_f.jpg

Im planning to mmcx mod my keggs too and swap it for some other cables, but im worried if this would degrade sound quality since the original wire is still connected. Theoretically if I make it much more shorter than the pic above this would affect less the sound quality, right?

also what tips do you guys are using right now on your keggs? right now I prefer the spinfit cp145 as it reduces the highs a bit and finally ditched my foamies, but Im also quite interested on those azla sedna xelastec tips, anyone using those?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,883 of 1,906
If the mmcx connectors + the soldering material have more impedance than the cable, it would chance the sound a bit. In think the SW3 should get slightly more bass quantity and become slightly more sibilant, like the mmcx version of the SW3. But maybe you got luck and there is no change.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,884 of 1,906
If the mmcx connectors + the soldering material have more impedance than the cable, it would chance the sound a bit. In think the SW3 should get slightly more bass quantity and become slightly more sibilant, like the mmcx version of the SW3. But maybe you got luck and there is no change.

So the mmcx version of the sw iii is still bassy and sibilant even when removing those damper tubes?

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #1,886 of 1,906
So, I finally modded my sw iii to be mmcx removable, and the changes are very noticeable, I tried various cables that I have with me, most of them have one or two things in common, that which is it gives a louder sound volume and reduced treble response, all of them sound a bit smoother compared to the stock wire that I ultimately went back on using silicon tips for the test (spinfit 145 and stock tips). Most of the cables actually degrades the sound specially the treble and resolution. Surprisingly the cable that actually sounds the best and closer to the stock cable of the sw iii sound quality is the stock mmcx cable that is on my Toneking Ty2 pro, My guess is that both of them uses the same type of wire (6n single crystal spc) but the ty2 pro cable are slightly thicker. I think I need a cable like the nicehck c4-1 to get back the treble up and better resolution. I will also try to fix the stock cable of sw iii to be mmcx removable so that I could complete this experiment.

20201013_000326.jpg

Edit: after more critical listening, I realize some of the cables retains the treble response ( some even more harsh) and resolution of the sw iii, and although the ty2 pro cable retains mostly the stock sound sig, the details isnt as good as the default wire. In my small collection of budget cables, only the **** yyx4887 is substantially better than the stock one. Bass response has more layer, vocals have now more weight to them specially female vocals, treble more or less remains the same, I can still find it fatiguing on some songs. Also a bit better on microdetail retrieval and imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,887 of 1,906
Hi all. Seems like this thread is quite quiet so far. Someone is selling a used SW3 and after reading some reviews and posts in this thread, it seems to be a good IEM. Just wondering how it performs now compares to all other IEM in the market since it's already 2021. And has someone pair it with WM1A?

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #1,888 of 1,906
Hi all. Seems like this thread is quite quiet so far. Someone is selling a used SW3 and after reading some reviews and posts in this thread, it seems to be a good IEM. Just wondering how it performs now compares to all other IEM in the market since it's already 2021. And has someone pair it with WM1A?

If you get a chance to buy a SW3 I would definitely go for it. One of if my all time favourite ChiFi IEM. Had some amazing 3d holographic times with them
I didn't own the WM1A when I had a set of SW3 so cant help there. Its hard to say exactly how well they would pair - depends on what f/w you are using but they are a very good IEM

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,890 of 1,906
Hi pal, I own both SW3 (mmcx no sibilances) and WM1A (CF MrWalkman) and I love the synergy (balanced out, double flange tips), everything what is said about this iems is improved by the dap. Big holographic soundstage, amazing bass (overall great resolution), you will habituate to listen to music out of your head all the time depending on the recordings you listen to. If you like this features I recommend them absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back