"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #1,861 of 1,906
Sorry for the late reply but this snuck by me somehow.

Anyways, the stock cable is ONLY 3-wires...left, right, and common ground. So soldering on a balanced jack is not possible. I tried, it's why I'm recabling mine now (well adding MMCX jacks and I'm being SUPER lazy about it). If you want 2.5mm balanced you simply need to recable.
Thanks for this info. Is it hard work to open the Kegs? Any suggestions how to do this?

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,864 of 1,906
Use two wide rubberbands and two pliers to turn and pull the two housing parts apart. They are glued together. The rubberband prevent scratches on the housing. I did this with a old mmcx version to repair it.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions! I am really satisfied with the kegs, but as I want to get them connected to my 9038s, which is balanced, I think to recycle them. E1DA is working on an unbalanced version of 9038s, so I think I will wait until they can deliver. Don't want to destroy the kegs by fiddling with these things.

Regards

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,868 of 1,906
I mean, if you're confident in your ability to do this then I'd say, why not? A little untraditional for sure but if it works it works!
Ok, I found an other way to become the kegs sing balanced. I analyzed the cable of the jack and found out that there are 4 wires, not only 3 like mentioned above. Thought, that mine is an other version with new cable. Measured the cable against the jack and colored the wire regarding polarity. Then cut the cable. Measured the cable against the kegs - recognized, that there are only 3 wires In use. Damn. Only reason could be, that in the y splitter they have soldered the both ground wires of the cables to the kegs. So opens the Y splitter and resoldered the cables. Now I have balanced kegs singing on my 9038s - wonderful
Was a bit fiddling but worth the work. 20200802_114142.jpg

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #1,871 of 1,906
Ok, I found an other way to become the kegs sing balanced. I analyzed the cable of the jack and found out that there are 4 wires, not only 3 like mentioned above. Thought, that mine is an other version with new cable. Measured the cable against the jack and colored the wire regarding polarity. Then cut the cable. Measured the cable against the kegs - recognized, that there are only 3 wires In use. Damn. Only reason could be, that in the y splitter they have soldered the both ground wires of the cables to the kegs. So opens the Y splitter and resoldered the cables. Now I have balanced kegs singing on my 9038s - wonderful
Was a bit fiddling but worth the work.20200802_114142.jpg

Nice work dude, is that still the default cable you used? How did you managed to change the splitter?

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,872 of 1,906
Hey guys quick question, I just recently notice that my driver placements for my sw iii are not identical, Although personally I felt imaging accuracy is quite on point still, but I would ask if this actually affects imaging?20200920_025240.jpg

This doesn't effect the imaging. Put one kegg upsidedown and the other normally in you ear, what do you hear? The Imaging doesn't twist into a 8 or something.

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,873 of 1,906
This doesn't effect the imaging. Put one kegg upsidedown and the other normally in you ear, what do you hear? The Imaging doesn't twist into a 8 or something.

I usually wear my kegs identically, right now im listening to these dts surround sound demo tests
and the imaging is accurate, i guess driver placements is not a problem.

Although in this video: the left front sounded quieter and less forward sounding than right front test and center is leaning a bit more to left, which I also tested on my other iems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back