"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #991 of 1,906

cool.gif
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't compare them to the Bigger 8-10 or 12 Drivers, (although I think their Sub-Bass is second to none), but I've A/B'd them to my friends 6 driver Nobles and they are certainly in that league. Just because they aren't a CIEM doesn't mean they don't perform.

Of course this IS personal opinion, and YES I am biased towards the SWIII.....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

tbh I seriously don't think CIEMs hold the kind of regard over universals that people think. Admittedly the beginning and end of my experience is the Sensaphonics shells on my old SE846 but a nice set of foams can do all the filling/sealing you need with the added bonus of being able to shrink/expand as the need may be. With the sensaphonics I kept having the issue of if I yawned or moved my jaw too much it would shift the fit and screw things up. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #992 of 1,906
:cool: Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't compare them to the Bigger 8-10 or 12 Drivers, (although I think their Sub-Bass is second to none), but I've A/B'd them to my friends 6 driver Nobles and they are certainly in that league. Just because they aren't a CIEM doesn't mean they don't perform.

Of course this IS personal opinion, and YES I am biased towards the SWIII.....

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN
How much difference as compared to it's younger brother T013/TK13 (which I'm quite happy with)?

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #993 of 1,906
Now i've realised medium tips do not go well on these? Kills the soundstage and bass IMO. Large tips ftw

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #994 of 1,906
Twin, i know the D2 is banned here, but i'm so curious, is the treble on the SW3 more pronounced or on the D2 (white filters)? Basically, the black filters are surely making the D2 sound darker but i wonder if the SW3 has more treble than white filter D2's.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #996 of 1,906
Report after 2 weeks of use is good...

The burn-in of the earphones/my ears is going really well... Treble sounds very smooth now without giving up on the sparkle at the top. lower mids are still a bit recessed, so I'm still EQ-ing in software to compensate for that.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #997 of 1,906
So uh, I've seen Paulo's review and it has really intrigued me for a while. Anyone got both FLC8s and sw3 for further comparison? Especially with red gray gold, mojo source preferred. Also, how is the wearing down part of sw3, considering the housing does not look too light with 5 drivers. The small silicone tip provided by FLC does well for me because I have small ears and I am worried that fit might be a problem with sw3. If someone could give some technical, sound sig differences between both, it'b be lovely. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #998 of 1,906
How do people wear their Keggers? I only decided to try them over ear today and i think i prefer it that way. Seem to get a better seal especially with those little hook things they give you.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #999 of 1,906
  So uh, I've seen Paulo's review and it has really intrigued me for a while. Anyone got both FLC8s and sw3 for further comparison? Especially with red gray gold, mojo source preferred. Also, how is the wearing down part of sw3, considering the housing does not look too light with 5 drivers. The small silicone tip provided by FLC does well for me because I have small ears and I am worried that fit might be a problem with sw3. If someone could give some technical, sound sig differences between both, it'b be lovely. Thanks.

Yes! - In a nut shell, the FLC8's were phenominal for vocals. especially female but had no 'balls' For me, although I loved them, it sounded like they had forgotten to wire in the dynamic driver.I can see why they tuned them that way. It made a unique sounding IEM but as my experience grows Im appreciating the need for good bass more and more.

The SW III's are a bit more creamy rounded and smooth. a bit thicker across all frequencies. Sounds more fun. I think the stereo field is wider and better.They also have an amazing 3d width. The low end has way more punch and depth than the FLC8's but it only comes through when called for from the track. Its also my only critisism - sometimes, if a tracks bass has not been mastered well the bass can be a little too much . . . however, it doesnt spoil the track!
To get a 10 driver IEM for that price is basically a no brainer!
Also the seperation of instruments and placement of them in the field is very very well done - Listening to a cymbol for example, in the midst of a rock song is not uncommon!

I have a mojo here but not yet had timeto test the SWIII's yet with it  (I use iBasso DX80)
Cant help size as I have large ears but they dont fall out even though they are quite big!

I would have to write a long review to give these superb IEM's a proper write up. They are simply fantastic 

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,000 of 1,906

Yes! - In a nut shell, the FLC8's were phenominal for vocals. especially female but had no 'balls' For me, although I loved them, it sounded like they had forgotten to wire in the dynamic driver.I can see why they tuned them that way. It made a unique sounding IEM but as my experience grows Im appreciating the need for good bass more and more.

The SW III's are a bit more creamy rounded and smooth. a bit thicker across all frequencies. Sounds more fun. I think the stereo field is wider and better.They also have an amazing 3d width. The low end has way more punch and depth than the FLC8's but it only comes through when called for from the track. Its also my only critisism - sometimes, if a tracks bass has not been mastered well the bass can be a little too much . . . however, it doesnt spoil the track!
Also the seperation of instruments and placement of them in the field is very very well done - Listening to a cymbol for example, in the midst of a rock song is not uncommon!

I have a mojo here but not yet had timeto test the SWIII's yet with it  (I use iBasso DX80)
Cant help size as I have large ears but they dont fall out even though they are quite big!

I would have to write a long review to give these superb IEM's a proper write up. They are simply fantastic 

I might as well go for it. Thanks for the comparison. I hope the treble isn't too much, I listen to a lot of trance, modern pop/rock. Bass is already boosted to oblivion on the track. Any sign of sibilance like dunu 1k, 2kj or the gray/green filter on flc8s?

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,002 of 1,906

Yes I felt the same way! It was only when I used the red-black LF filters did I feel it was enough for me.

I just read through this thread and about to take the plunge but was wondering is the general consensus still to go with the non removable cable version? Or is the removable version improved with no connection issues?

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #1,003 of 1,906

Yes I felt the same way! It was only when I used the red-black LF filters did I feel it was enough for me.

I just read through this thread and about to take the plunge but was wondering is the general consensus still to go with the non removable cable version? Or is the removable version improved with no connection issues?

The red,back made it very muddy for me, but it's not like I am fully satisfied with red, gray. Anyway, I hope I can get another comparison between flc8s and sw3 posted soon with Mojo. Really excited for that 3d holographic soundstage everyone is talking about. I just hope it won't fall out of my ears.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,004 of 1,906
  The red,back made it very muddy for me, but it's not like I am fully satisfied with red, gray. Anyway, I hope I can get another comparison between flc8s and sw3 posted soon with Mojo. Really excited for that 3d holographic soundstage everyone is talking about. I just hope it won't fall out of my ears.

cool.gif
They won't. They fit very well and Really are no larger than the TK12 and 13. I wear them downcabled. The soundstage isn't so much 3D as it is 360 degrees AROUND your head.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #1,005 of 1,906

Wish I can help more, but this is based on memory. FLC8 still on loan, but impression-wise (based on red-grey-gold):
Bass: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 has better texture and layering, faster and with more impact, might be a bit too much subbass in some tracks. FLC8 has a good bass which can be bloomy in the midbass.

Mids: FLC8 > SW3
With the gold filter, FLC8 vocals and mids are sublime. SW3 has thinner, faster mids, not as sweet and timbre sometimes not too accurate.

Treble: My memory is the fuzziest for this one, so I'll reserve comment. SW3 has excellent extension and sparkle, not harsh or sibilant in my set.

Soundstage: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 is definitely larger. Wider and taller with similar depth.

Imaging: SW3 > FLC8
While FLC8 is definitely no slouch, imaging and separation is IMO SW3's greatest strength. You hear sounds coming from all directions, every element has its own space and doesn't intrude into each other. You hear each instrument clear as day.

So while vocalheads might still prefer FLC8 with the gold filter, SW3 does everything else a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back