"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 17, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,006 of 1,906
How much difference as compared to it's younger brother T013/TK13 (which I'm quite happy with)?

The TK13 are a more relaxed listen. The Shockwaves take some effort and can be fatiquing after a while. They are simply WAY more detailed and have SO much going on, it's difficult to process it long term.  It's EXACTLY like comparing Senn. HD650 to AKG K701's. One is Veiled the other Surgically Precise. One is for Everyday, one is for SPECIAL occasion listens.

Just my take on it.  Are they worth the Xtra $$$$?   ABSOLUTELY...... and then some.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,007 of 1,906

Wish I can help more, but this is based on memory. FLC8 still on loan, but impression-wise (based on red-grey-gold):
Bass: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 has better texture and layering, faster and with more impact, might be a bit too much subbass in some tracks. FLC8 has a good bass which can be bloomy in the midbass.

Mids: FLC8 > SW3
With the gold filter, FLC8 vocals and mids are sublime. SW3 has thinner, faster mids, not as sweet and timbre sometimes not too accurate.

Treble: My memory is the fuzziest for this one, so I'll reserve comment. SW3 has excellent extension and sparkle, not harsh or sibilant in my set.

Soundstage: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 is definitely larger. Wider and taller with similar depth.

Imaging: SW3 > FLC8
While FLC8 is definitely no slouch, imaging and separation is IMO SW3's greatest strength. You hear sounds coming from all directions, every element has its own space and doesn't intrude into each other. You hear each instrument clear as day.

So while vocalheads might still prefer FLC8 with the gold filter, SW3 does everything else a bit better.

Thanks. Male or female vocal sounds lovely with flc8s especially with good source, but it seems other advantages of sw3 are worth looking into. I very much agree that midbass can get bloomy on flc8s as I've heard much better/tighter bass. Looks like sw3 will be more fun to listen to than flc8s.

cool.gif
They won't. They fit very well and Really are no larger than the TK12 and 13. I wear them downcabled. The soundstage isn't so much 3D as it is 360 degrees AROUND your head.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Sounds anticipating :D

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,008 of 1,906

Wish I can help more, but this is based on memory. FLC8 still on loan, but impression-wise (based on red-grey-gold):
Bass: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 has better texture and layering, faster and with more impact, might be a bit too much subbass in some tracks. FLC8 has a good bass which can be bloomy in the midbass.

Mids: FLC8 > SW3
With the gold filter, FLC8 vocals and mids are sublime. SW3 has thinner, faster mids, not as sweet and timbre sometimes not too accurate.

Treble: My memory is the fuzziest for this one, so I'll reserve comment. SW3 has excellent extension and sparkle, not harsh or sibilant in my set.

Soundstage: SW3 > FLC8
SW3 is definitely larger. Wider and taller with similar depth.

Imaging: SW3 > FLC8
While FLC8 is definitely no slouch, imaging and separation is IMO SW3's greatest strength. You hear sounds coming from all directions, every element has its own space and doesn't intrude into each other. You hear each instrument clear as day.

So while vocalheads might still prefer FLC8 with the gold filter, SW3 does everything else a bit better.

Can help you out with the treble comparison. When I A/B the SW3 with the FLC8S I immediatelly noticed better treble extension and I confess this was one of the reasons that made me abandon the FLC, after a long time with them.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,011 of 1,906
Man, i ordered these last Tuesday and they said it has been shipped on Thursday and i choose DHL Express Shipping and still no package arrived yet. #feelsbadman #thewaitisreal #justwannahavethem

Did you order from Ali?
You need to send mail/message to seller on a daily basis and ask for tracking number. I don't think your item has left the seller. I had the same problem one of the reasons I don't use Ali anymore.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,014 of 1,906
  how is the sound of Shockwave III compare to good iem like akg 3003 and Flat4 Kaede ?

I haven't heard the Flat 4 but I have a friend with the AKG K3003's, (not Clones), Even HE likes the SWIII better. It's MY sworn duty to remind him that he paid 3 times as much for them....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,015 of 1,906
Oh boy. Did anyone ever had problems with "Easy" the seller? He said, the order had shipped last Wednesday, but the tracking says, they just received the shipping information and nothing else. Contacted DHL and they said, they haven't received anything from the seller yet. How can this be? Easy has a lot of good ratings on Ali.. Would love to hear some experiences with Easy.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,016 of 1,906
  Oh boy. Did anyone ever had problems with "Easy" the seller? He said, the order had shipped last Wednesday, but the tracking says, they just received the shipping information and nothing else. Contacted DHL and they said, they haven't received anything from the seller yet. How can this be? Easy has a lot of good ratings on Ali.. Would love to hear some experiences with Easy.

Hey there. Might want to check out this post :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/30120

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,017 of 1,906
  I haven't heard the Flat 4 but I have a friend with the AKG K3003's, (not Clones), Even HE likes the SWIII better. It's MY sworn duty to remind him that he paid 3 times as much for them....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

+1!
The SWIII (Kegs) have way better overall SQ vs. the original AKG 3Ks.
I bought one of the early versions of the K3s in 2012, and thought they were the most incredible things at the time...sold them a few months ago as they were only sitting on the stand.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,018 of 1,906
Anyone planning to get the phantom master 4 or 6 in the future for comparison? Will be interesting to see comparison on the 4BA+dual DD pull/push although price difference is not small. The phantom master 5 is somehow 500 pounds...damn.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,020 of 1,906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back