E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Feb 22, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #452 of 1,326

Quote:
The final specification should be decided when we finish the design and test the final version of E11's engineer sample!

Yes, but surely you know by now if the power supply puts out the same maximum current regardless of the output voltage?  That's what I'm asking about.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #453 of 1,326
I am just curious about the overall width of the soundstage it can put out, what its limits are comparable to.  I am desperately hoping it can outperform the sansa clip, or your own new dap that is coming out soon.  

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #454 of 1,326
Maybe Fiio can purchase a license to use the rock box firmware and in that the money used to pay for the license can be used towards rock boxes ventures. Would be a great business venture for both companies and would fill the need for a solid stable DAP
Quote:
+ 1 on a micro SD slot - save the expenses for the components rather than the memory - we can buy our own.

Re actaully HAVING rock box as the firmware... loveley idea... but rb is a non-profit venure and FiiO would be making profit on the dap - not sure it could work out.

But any party looking to get into the dap game should definitely spend a month with a rockboxed clip, using it every day, to understand what an interface should be like...

EDIT:

But then, having said that, I've just seen dfkts post which was enthusiastic and I know he's close to the rb development crew, so maybe it would be possible.

Hell, if it's possible to us RB, Fiio - just do it! :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #455 of 1,326

Do you think those other Line out docks being sold on ebay are really of better quality than Fiio's (LOD) offerings. I mean they are going for $30.00 and up. Not sure if there would really be a difference in sound between these lods and fiios lods. They look to be of higher quality wire and have capacitors.
Quote:
Depends on your budget.
Fiio sells both the L3 and the L1.
L1 being the 'low profile version', ie without the clips to hold it in.

I think I'll be getting the L3 with the E11 in March :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #456 of 1,326

Quote:
Maybe Fiio can purchase a license to use the rock box firmware and in that the money used to pay for the license can be used towards rock boxes ventures. Would be a great business venture for both companies and would fill the need for a solid stable DAP

FiiO decided to use a Wolfson chip which can't support Rockbox.

Quote:
Do you think those other Line out docks being sold on ebay are really of better quality than Fiio's (LOD) offerings. I mean they are going for $30.00 and up. Not sure if there would really be a difference in sound between these lods and fiios lods. They look to be of higher quality wire and have capacitors.

If they make you feel better, sure. But if the amp is only under $100, why bother with a $30 for some wires?

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #457 of 1,326

Quote:
FiiO decided to use a Wolfson chip which can't support Rockbox.

I thought it was that Wolfson the CPU/decoder manufacturer would be developing the firmware with Fiio, and thus would be using their own architecture.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #458 of 1,326
Err...That's a DAC chip not a CPU or decoder chip, right?

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #459 of 1,326

Quote:
Err...That's a DAC chip not a CPU or decoder chip, right?

Actually, yeah, the Wolfson is the DAC chip.  I believe kingpage was referring to the CPU or decoder.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #460 of 1,326
ClienOS did say FiiO was looking into Rockbox support, but I couldn't find any more info about it. So, I could be wrong about the that. But I got the impression that Rockbox is only for rockchip based players and X3 doesn't use rockchip.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #461 of 1,326
I love the modern design of the E11...I hope that the inevitable successor to the E7 also goes in this direction!

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #463 of 1,326
I wonder why the X3 discussion here? Anyway, RB is basically open source software, so no license is needed to use it. However, it is not easy to ask a chipset provider to sell you their firmware SDK because that is the company IP, and they can't just integrate open source software into their own software without making it open first (as that means they are giving up their own IP right), or they will risk a lawsuit. Putting RB on your own iPod / DAP is another matter, as you are basically hacking your own device.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #465 of 1,326

Quote:
I wonder why the X3 discussion here? Anyway, RB is basically open source software, so no license is needed to use it. However, it is not easy to ask a chipset provider to sell you their firmware SDK because that is the company IP, and they can't just integrate open source software into their own software without making it open first (as that means they are giving up their own IP right), or they will risk a lawsuit. Putting RB on your own iPod / DAP is another matter, as you are basically hacking your own device.

Because Fiio never puts out anything that sucks and a lot of people are interested in how the pairing the new DAP will go with the amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back