E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Feb 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #481 of 1,326
this still on schedule for a March release?

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #482 of 1,326
Quote:
my main priority for an amp is for it to have a good soundstage. I have a pair of b&w p5's and monster miles davis both being poorly handled by my iphone 4 but I am expecting the fiio e11 to change those problems hopefully.

I don't quite understand comments like this. Soundstage is about 70% dependent on the recording, 25% on the cans and maybe 5% on the amp. Sure, open cans in particuar may give a better soundstage when properly amped, but in general designing an amp to increase soundstage is kind of difficult, beyond building in a crossfeed. Expecting an amplifier to suddenly give very closed or normally forward and upfront headphones (like Grados) a huge and expansive soundstage is unreasonable and unfair.

Feb 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #483 of 1,326

What exactly a good amp does? Improves the SQ if so by how  much? At one point do we call the change good enough that it will justify expending $700 on them?
Quote:

I don't quite understand comments like this. Soundstage is about 70% dependent on the recording, 25% on the cans and maybe 5% on the amp. Sure, open cans in particuar may give a better soundstage when properly amped, but in general designing an amp to increase soundstage is kind of difficult, beyond building in a crossfeed. Expecting an amplifier to suddenly give very closed or normally forward and upfront headphones (like Grados) a huge and expansive soundstage is unreasonable and unfair.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #484 of 1,326
Quote:
What exactly a good amp does? Improves the SQ if so by how  much? At one point do we call the change good enough that it will justify expending $700 on them?

An amplifier does just that: amplifies. It increases the voltage and current of the audio signal. Improvements are usually down to the amp providing adequate power with the correct amounts of current and voltage for a driver to function at peak capability. Often an amp will add some kind of accidental EQ or 'flavour' to the sound as a result of the amplification - this is why different amps have different characteristics sonically. They may also had some distortion - both can be viewed as musicality, euphonics or colouring the sound, depending on your point of view.
FiiO's E9, from what I've read, is incredibly effective at providing the first factor without the others; it amplifies very neutrally. Why do people prefer other amps? It doesn't seem to be a power issue, so perhaps the distortion of the E9 means that little details can't be picked out as easily, perhaps people don't like the neutral tone or perhaps they feel that the euphonic distortion is missing. Not judging the E9 at all as I've never heard it, just using it as an example.

So broadly, will amp amp improve sound quality? Only if your headphones require more power to function at their best. Is the change enough to justify higher prices? I can't answer that, certainly not in general. Only the individual can decide if it's worth it. Can an amp improve soundstage? Yes, if the headphones in question are already capable of generating a large soundstage. An amp, no matter how expensive, can only deliver power to the drivers as directed. It can not make the sound wider on its own, it can only do this by influencing the drivers to do so. A crossfeed can widen the soundstage and is built into some amplifiers, but the E11 does not have one so it's a moot topic.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #486 of 1,326

Quote:
^thanks clarifies a lot of things

Just to add my thoughts. 

The E9 is exceptionally neutral. But the oomph it adds to the music is amazing. I use Fischer Audio FA-003 which are closed cans that sound like open ones. There is a noticeable difference with and without. Also use the E7 as the DAC, connected to my MacBook. 

But if the recording is poor, the output can be too. Hence why I rip my CDs at 320 bit rate. For me you can tell a lower bit rate sounds poor, but at 320 you reach the balance between good sound and size per track. 

I have found the Fiio E9/E7 combo astonishing value, hence I can't wait to have the E11 as I reckon my FA-003 will rock. I also have the E5 headphone amp which is a great little product. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #487 of 1,326
^I love the E9 amplification power for my ER4S, it really brings the best in them. I just hope the E11 can do that. Frankly I am willing to buy any portable amp which can do what the E9 can do to ER4S. I am just holding myself from not buying a minibox-ES. Ordered the TF10 I think the E7 should handle them fine considering they are only 32 ohms

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #489 of 1,326

Quote:
That's an awesome idea! So you could use just the E9 and an ipod classic,, if you want a boost for the ER4S w/o coloring the sound? Of course, w/ the appropriate line outs, etc.

Yes you can but I mostly use my ER4 as a portable IEM, I just wish I can get the same SQ when I am on the road. The gain switch on the E9 does wonders !

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #490 of 1,326
will this be shielded enough to use with cell phones? the E5 is bad with my cell phone.... constant interference from both the cell radio and wifi. will this be any different in that regard?

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #491 of 1,326
I have an e5 and it sounds awsome in ny s5. I dont need a DAC so i willnot be needing e7. And today is march and e11 will come very soon. Good thing that they remove the dac and focused on the sq and build. Cant wait to buy this or someone give me this for my birthday, which is on this month. Im just a average music lover and i love how fiio price their products.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #492 of 1,326

Quote:
will this be shielded enough to use with cell phones? the E5 is bad with my cell phone.... constant interference from both the cell radio and wifi. will this be any different in that regard?

yes.

Mr felaio mentioned something about them trying to work out the kinks of GSM signals with this amp due to so many people using their cellphones as DAPs these days.  He also said CDMA is fine.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #493 of 1,326
Yes, We will try our best to decrease the interference noise from GSM signal, and the PCB will back soon. But the only solution ( I means there are zero interference ) will be digital connection to iPhone.

I ask our engineer that the noise should be not bigger than E7, and it will less than E5.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back