E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Feb 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #438 of 1,326

Quote:
We will freeze the design this week, and send out the trial version  of the PCB. next week we will make some reviewer samples.

WOO! The paper version I made of the e11 is very lonely, it needs a real friend :)

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #441 of 1,326
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #442 of 1,326

Quote:
I asked about this on pg.22 - Post #327 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527342/e11-a-new-start-of-fiio-s-portable-amp/315) and judging from feiao's response, you have nothing to worry about :]

thats good to know that the "in" is in the niddle and the "out" is more lateral to it.... this is gonna be perfect now!

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #443 of 1,326
I own an iPhone4, and L3 works wonderful :)

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #445 of 1,326
I am using E5 and E3 with my headphones, even when playing music in car Pioneer stereo makes very difference in quality and sound. So I really hope final E11 come out soon :) It is not only about amplifying sound/music, but it makes the sound much more enjoyable... The best it would be if there is a 3 position EQ/BASS switch.

Very nice job FiiO. Keep on with this evolution and good ideas

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #449 of 1,326

Quote:
Quote:
BlackbeardBen said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, wow!  So there's tons of headroom for peaks with that chip, since it's capable of 310 mA peak output - the current supply of the battery/power supply is the limit then (you can only feed it an average of about a third of that [111.8 mA at 16 ohms at 200 mW (an average of 1.7885 V)], if my quick estimate is correct).

I'm not that familiar with power supplies and voltage converters - is the the E11 capable of providing the maximum current all the way to the maximum +/- 6 V voltage swing?  If so it would seem it can put a whole lot of power into medium impedance headphones; perhaps enough for portable use of the more power-hungry orthodynamics.  (Hey, I can hope, right?!?)

As I start looking at this I'm beginning to see how truly complicated the design and output of an amplifier can be...

Yes, you are right, in fact, most of time is spend on design a decent power supply! in fact, for any portable device, the power management is very important!

Okay, sorry to go all the way back to this but...

So if it can put out 180-200 mW into 16 ohms; that's roughly 111.8 mA max current supply (optimistically assuming 200 mW) as I noted before (at 1.7885 V RMS).  Since we're not anywhere near the maximum RMS voltage (6 V peak / 1.41 = 4.24 V), as I also noted before that should mean that a whole lot more power at medium impedances if the power supply can maintain that current at higher voltages.  That's a big if - I'd love it if this could be clarified.

Like, say 38 ohms for the Hifiman HE-5LE - which would according to P = I^2 * R would work out to be 475 mW.  Checking that we're not exceeding the max voltage, P = VI = 474 mW.  So peak power is achieved right there, essentially at 38 ohms - a very impressive figure for a budget portable amp; almost half a Watt.

Is my thinking along the right lines?  Or am I making a bad assumption regarding the current/voltage supply, or something else?

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #450 of 1,326

Well that went right over my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back