Dynahi Aluminum (Trans/Heatsink) Panel Group Buy
Dec 7, 2004 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of organizing a group buy for laser-cut 0.118" (or perhaps thinner) aluminum panels that will fit the dynahi boards with the HS-TWS heatsinks. I am envisioning a simple flat panel that the transistors and the heatsink will mount perfectly to, with the holes for transistors, heatsink, and the pcb board cut out perfectly via a laser cutter. So, no t-bars in this case, just one flat panel. The panel will also have holes where the panel can be mounted onto the chassis via spacers to keep the PCB from bending/breaking from stress.

I'm thinking of using e-machineshop, the cost comes out to be 8~9 dollars a piece for quantities around 40. Which is still rather high but I am willing to pay that amount for a panel made to fit the board perfectly without requiring any further work on the builder's part. If the quantity drops below 20, the prices are jacked up to like 20 dollars a piece, which is not worth it.

I will be buying at least 10, since I have 10 boards. So I'm wondering how many people would be interested in such a group buy. If enough people show interest I will go ahead and design the part and post some iterations on this thread for feedback and maybe very early next year the order can be placed.

Once the dynahi psu board design is finalized I am thinking of doing the psu heatsink panels the same way as well.

Shipping I suppose won't be too much using flat-rate priority mail envelopes with some padding.

A few suggestions needed here are:

1. Any other alternatives where we can get such a simple aluminum panel produced economically in small batches?

2. Any serious downfalls of this simple flat panel approach to heatsinking?

3. Any benefits/downfalls of doing one large panel for both boards?

Please don't PM me at this point regarding the group buy as nothing has been set in stone, but please express your interest/disinterest/opinions/insights on this thread. Thank you!

Dec 7, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 54
I'd be interested in something like this...after all the case work I've done with speaker amps in the past, the one thing I've learned is always have as much fabrication done for you as possible
icon10.gif

Put me down for 4 of them to cover the 4 boards I have coming my way...

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 54
Before we do put any money down I will definately run some thermo calcs (perhaps even a FEMLAB simulation) to make sure that the panel will be sufficient enough combined with the heatsink to dissipate all the heat. The heatsink for sure is enough, if mounted correctly, for all the transistors on one dynahi board (if it's good enough for Dr. Gilmore, it's good enough for me
tongue.gif
), and at this point I have no reason to doubt that a simple 6mm/0.118" aluminum board that is mounted properly (with thermal paste/pads where necessary) should have problems transferring the heat from the transistors to the heatsink.

On this page you can see that what Dr. Gilmore does is not much different from what I'm planning, the only difference being the panels are bent and the heatsink is mounted upright:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=30

Heatsink being mounted upright compared to down flat should have better thermal properties but I am not too sure if this will be significant if the chassis is well vented. I will find out later.

But in any case, please keep the interest level up and post feedback if you'd like to see this thing come to fruition.
wink.gif
Thanks!

Dec 7, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 54
Lets see if I understand correctly. With the bracket you're considering it would be possible to mount the heatsink so the fins are pointing upwards? And the bracket itself could be supported with a spacer off the bottom of the case?

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Lets see if I understand correctly. With the bracket you're considering it would be possible to mount the heatsink so the fins are pointing upwards? And the bracket itself could be supported with a spacer off the bottom of the case?

Yes. And the bracket will also be mounted to the PCB, which will also be supported with spacers.

Dec 7, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 54
Count me as interested.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back