Dynahi Aluminum (Trans/Heatsink) Panel Group Buy
Dec 9, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 54
Just an update:

1. I think there is enough demand to go ahead with this project
2. I am currently completely swamped with final projects, will be free in about a week or so when exams begin
3. I am hoping perhaps that the psu boards will be finalized soon so that we can do the dynahi psu heatsinks as well for those interested

OK - I will report back again when I have news/initial designs!

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turing
I would be in for 2 dpending on design/price.

Design won't deviate too much from the basic outline explained in words. Flat panel with a bunch of holes precision machined out of a .118" (3mm) thick aluminum panel with a laser cutter through www.emachineshop.com.

Price will be a bit less than $10 per panel (8~9 dollars). Shipping from me will be a few bucks, so the more you buy at once, the more you save, in a way.

The price I think is still a bit steep given that they're very simple panels, so...

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY OTHER MANUFACTURING ALTERNATIVES PLEASE POST THEM HERE!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 54
Front Panel Express wouldn't be a very good choice here...they only do what their name says i.e. front panels. We're talking more about a chassis element. But, perhaps a group buy of a panel design we all like would be something to look at further on down the road
lambda.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 54
Actually, FPE pricing could be competitive depending on the number of panels we order. The problem with FPE here is that they charge per number of holes, etc. so the more complex the design, the more expensive.

But at the same time you get anodized aluminum panels...

When I get the design more or less down, I will try it on both FPE and emachineshop to see which will be cheaper.

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
But at the same time you get anodized aluminum panels...

Anodiozing the surface would increase thermal resistance, wouldn't it? Not sure if it is enough to matter, but it's something to consider imo
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
Anodiozing the surface would increase thermal resistance, wouldn't it? Not sure if it is enough to matter, but it's something to consider imo
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

The HS-TWS heatsinks are anodized.

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ble0t
Front Panel Express wouldn't be a very good choice ... We're talking more about a chassis element. :

Flat aluminum plate with holes. They can do that.

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #27 of 54
Front Panel's work may be anodized, but that's before they start working on it. On all the holes, cutouts and engravings the anodization gets removed. So I'm not sure what the benefit would be (certainly not the isolation).

Usually, people would anodize AFTER processing the aluminum panel, but FP doesn't.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Flat aluminum plate with holes. They can do that.

Hrmmm...I guess I misunderstood the design slightly...my apologies
cool.gif

If this is the case, are you sure a local shop wouldn't be a cheaper alternative? I know of one or two places within 10 miles of me that do some fairly inexpensive machining. All you have to do is get them some decent CAD drawings, and they do the rest. Just a suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back