Dynahi Aluminum (Trans/Heatsink) Panel Group Buy
Dec 10, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 54
So this would have the heatsinks laying flat and fins pointing up (or down)?

That would make for a lower profile, but would take up more space. Also, isn't it better for convection cooling that the fins be oriented horizontally?

-Ed

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #32 of 54
Doob: I think you might be well advised to pick up the phone book and see if there is local job shop that can handle this.
Of course the caveat is you will need a blueprint Vs. a FPD file but that is no biggie.

Either way mark me down for 10 of them.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
So this would have the heatsinks laying flat and fins pointing up (or down)?

That would make for a lower profile, but would take up more space. Also, isn't it better for convection cooling that the fins be oriented horizontally?

-Ed

Yes, the heatsink fins would be pointing up or down, depending on how you want to mount them. I guess you'd only want them pointing "down" if you want the PCB pointing "down", and the fins ultimately pointing up.

It would take up more space and be less efficient but at the same time the panels are much simpler to machine, without the bending procedure...

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Doob: I think you might be well advised to pick up the phone book and see if there is local job shop that can handle this.
Of course the caveat is you will need a blueprint Vs. a FPD file but that is no biggie.

Either way mark me down for 10 of them.

Once the design is finalized I will see some local alternatives. One thing I'll stick firm to is that I would like this done by CNC, not manually.

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 54
Just checking to see if there are any updates on this.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
What do you think?

twoboards.JPG

LOL, the PSU board is bigger than I thought it would be.
tongue.gif

Hey, Doob, why not find out how much it would cost to have the panels bent?

It's alot more difficult for the DIY'er to bend metal vs. drilling holes.

I'm not too concerned, since I have a small bending brake already. Drilling holes is not that difficult. If the price is right, it would be nice to have right angled panels with the holes. Particulary for those building multiple Dynahi's.

-Ed

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #42 of 54
I've been thinking of just trimming off the part of the PCB with the holes for the transistor bolts, mounting the transistors perpendicular to the board and flush with the heatsink without bending the leads. No right angle bracket needed.

The power traces to the output transistors would be removed along with that section of the board. Short jumpers would carry the power instead.

Any thoughts (pro or con) about this idea?

- Eric

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by eweitzman
I've been thinking of just trimming off the part of the PCB with the holes for the transistor bolts, mounting the transistors perpendicular to the board and flush with the heatsink without bending the leads. No right angle bracket needed.

The power traces to the output transistors would be removed along with that section of the board. Short jumpers would carry the power instead.

Any thoughts (pro or con) about this idea?

- Eric

Perhaps instead of actually trimming the board, you could mount a right angle, and use it to support both the heatsink AND the transistors?

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #45 of 54
I'll take a few (possibly 6) if this get's done....thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back