DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #11,281 of 14,084
Hey all. I know there's been multiple problems with the new 2.1.8 firmware. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem where after a while the music automatically stops?

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #11,282 of 14,084
Interesting point about my modded DX90, the different gain settings no longer have their own "sound sigs" like stock DX90 had.  Modded DX90 on low gain sounds smooth and balanced, not boring and over-damped like stock DX90 on low gain, and each higher gain setting on modded D90 just gets more "forceful" and "impactful" sounding, but no change in frequency balance like the stock DX90 had, although the gain settings can still be used as iem/hp pairing tools due to smoother vs more forceful traits of different gains. Basically gain on modded DX90 actually functions more properly than stock DX90 imo, I'm loving it.

edit: unless 2.1.8 has something to do with my findings, but I can't be bothered going back to 2.1.5 to check lol.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #11,283 of 14,084
reverted to low gain, I prefer it with 2.1.8, . sounds wonderful to my ears.,punchier and less mid oriented, that with myre600-s is good thinga!

Same for me. On previous versions I preferred high gain

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #11,285 of 14,084
  Just received the 2nd generation Meenova and can confirm that it "just works" with DX90.  Can't comment on battery drain, though, as I just received it.

I got one also but am disappointed that it is larger and sticks out further than the earlier version. I thought they had made it smaller, not larger, which to me is a step backwards. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #11,287 of 14,084
Originally Posted by Paul - iBasso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
  Cool! Glad to know there's going to be some progress:)
Paul, could you tell whether there are plans for auto-switching (when the last track of the current folder ends and the first track of the next folder sarts) between the folders implementation? It would be a huge step forward, I think.
Are there any updates for DX 90 USB-DAC driver expected?

Do you have an example of this from a DAP?

X5 does that. Rockbox also has similar function called "Random folder advance". It plays the files in a folder in the order they are listed then move on to another folder and do the same.

A fully functional and accurate PEQ on DX90 is the only request I have for iBasso. It's all I want.

As above. Do you have an example being implemented?

You can look at rockbox for this function as well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #11,288 of 14,084
  DX90 sound is very good, on par with some 1K DACs, would you believe it or not. For best results I use the slow roll-off filter, and of course have disabled the EQ. Upgraded to 4200MAh battery. The result is much pleasing, even for 250 Ohm headphones, such as my Beyerdynamic DT990.

What FW version you are using and what about the bass in your case - it is not a much for you (with DT 990/250)?

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #11,289 of 14,084
Currently I'm on 2.1.5 L3. I use high gain for Beyer DT990. Bass is punchy. Not muddy, not too much of bass. I like it. The results are surprisingly good. Maybe my double battery has something to do with it. Maybe not :) BTW usually at high gain I use volume 230-250 according to source music.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #11,290 of 14,084
  Currently I'm on 2.1.5 L3. I use high gain for Beyer DT990. Bass is punchy. Not muddy, not too much of bass. I like it. The results are surprisingly good. Maybe my double battery has something to do with it. Maybe not :) BTW usually at high gain I use volume 230-250 according to source music.

I'm on 2.1.5 L2, because with 2.1.8 I heard too much of bass. My (with HG) comfort volume levels are 220-240 no more, but I see it with my HW-modded player. 
Thanks!

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #11,291 of 14,084
  Interesting point about my modded DX90, the different gain settings no longer have their own "sound sigs" like stock DX90 had.

It's because coupling capacitors were removed. With them, the attenuator (which is used as a "gain" switch) also was a filter. Now it is just an attenuator. AFAIR "low gain" position is actually 6dB attenuator related to "high gain". So, ideally, high and low gains should produce the same sound with the volume level difference of 12.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #11,294 of 14,084
  It's because coupling capacitors were removed. With them, the attenuator (which is used as a "gain" switch) also was a filter. Now it is just an attenuator. 

And as I know from author of mod, now is possible to up volume level to its maximum (255) without any problems dependent of sound distortions. It's very suitable for me (with 250 Ohm impedance phones used most of the time :).

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #11,295 of 14,084
We are working on an update to the FW. We are going to hand out nerf balls so they can be thrown at the SW team if they don't get this right. :smile:

Hello Paul,

i found something depending the exFAT problems ( no scanning cache written to SD &
everytime after powering on the DX90 it asks for scanning the card )

First i could confirm, that not the cards are the issue. I've tested this with many
brands like SanDisk, Sony, NoName.
Secound the exFAT filesystem is not the "real" problem maker ( Tracks are allways playing ) :

I started with a complete wiped Card ( ! removed partitions !, wiped with zeros )
This card i formatted under Windows to exFAT ( the exFAT partition is set automatically ).
I looked at the partition table and the ! hole ! capacity is used for exFAT.
( starting from first block to the last )
This formatting / partitioning gives the scanning issue.

I wiped the card one more time like i wrote before, but now i formatted it with
the SDcard.org tool. The interesting thing here is when looking at the
partition table, not the hole capacity is used for exFAT. There is a blank
16MB block left INFRONT of the exFAT partition. This card will work with no issue.

A friend bought a new 64GB SanDisk card and confirmed that it was partitioned
"out of the box" with the SDcard.org method and that there is a free area infront
of the exFAT partition. My Sony cards were shipped with the microsoft
method and give the scanning issue. So the partioning with this free area infront
of the exFAT partition could make the issue. Could be that this free space is used
for swapping or file system caching action and the DX Data Cache is not written
if not detected...

It's up to you to fix this if wanting a better Microsoft compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back