DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #11,191 of 14,084
  No, you are not alone! ZverMetel complains about too much of bass with 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic and reverted to 2.1.5L2, and I feel just fine with 2.1.8L0 :)

And I (seriously listened it) - prefer the previous FW just now. Whom how :)
But, in addition - my DX90 is with some modifications... in a little - with the other power capacitors (bigger).

I listen music at the High Gain and the volumes about.. 220-235. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #11,192 of 14,084
Wow, so you can find vinyl rips online? I always seem to be back off a few tracks, not up to speed, off the mark. . . lol 
pirate bay

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #11,196 of 14,084
Tried the 2.1.8.L from the 2.1.5.L but for my ears, with the PM1, the 2.1.5. sounds much more in balance. So I'll keep 2.1.5.L for now . The 2.1.8. sounds to "fat" for my ears. The highs got ugly and the low to much. With 2.1.5 music sounds more open and more musical. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #11,199 of 14,084

DX90 firmware - 2.1.8

- wider sound stage / better separation of instruments
- bass - more present. taken a more domineering role
- highs & mids - along with the bass these seem a lot more live

... had a touch too much 'excitement' added to it.

Hi Jon Parker,

your findings seem the same for me.

You talked about an "excitement" the DX90 sound signature got little to much.
You mean an excitement like squaching the transients of a snare sound ?
For me the 2.1.8 FW sounds like there is some compression. At higher sound levels i could hear some filter noise. And trust me the production i played back has no compression at all.
So that some volume levels are lifted up ( more/harder Bass / mids + highs more live ) for me it sounds like little but subtile compression, because background noise is lifted, too.
The smoothness of the last Firmwares has definetly gone with v2.18. It sounds MORE modern like the Sony ZX2, but it is not bad at all. The separation & clearness is at it's best.

Yes, exactly. Ive mastered a fair amount of music in my time  and if I didn't know better i would say someone has been adding some effects to the sound to make it more appealing to the masses!

Just read some about loudness war and dynamic range stuff. Go to loudness war page and check which records are best in terms of dynamic range. Stuff mastered in 80's and classical music has DR around 10-15. Nowadays its around 5 most of the time. Of course there were bad mastered tracks back then but there are also those mastered well now. Just download DR plugin for foobat2000 and check whatever you have on your cpu. Enjoy! :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #11,201 of 14,084
Just read some about loudness war and dynamic range stuff. Go to loudness war page and check which records are best in terms of dynamic range. Stuff mastered in 80's and classical music has DR around 10-15. Nowadays its around 5 most of the time. Of course there were bad mastered tracks back then but there are also those mastered well now. Just download DR plugin for foobat2000 and check whatever you have on your cpu. Enjoy! :)

I acknowledged that some year ago. Since then I've been using Foobar2000 Dynamic Range Meter plug-in and, unfortunately, I can say that even those modern recordings that posses a DR of 10 dB or higher are not necessarily good in terms of instruments separation, their discernibleness and overall frequency "filling" (presence of low, mid and high frequency signals). Meanwhile all the recordings with DR of 8 dB and lower are mediocre, even if they meet the other mastering requirements (with 5 dB and lower are hardly listenable). So while DR of some 12-14 dB is a must it does not guarantee the other things are good in a given recording
Is it me or has 2.1.8 introduced clicking at the beginning of songs?Definitely wasn't present in previous fws

I have not experienced any clicks on 2.1.8 L0 during a day use

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #11,202 of 14,084
I have not experienced any clicks on 2.1.8 L0 during a day use

tested again, seems to only click when slow roll-off is set. Could you check your settings and compare please?

It clicks at the end of the song and again on the beginning of the next...

OK did a factory reset and tested again. Sharp roll-off, no clicks as with previous firmware, slow roll-out, clicks are introduced. Now here's the weird part which is why some may not notice clicks. Turn gapless on, clicks dissappear on slow roll-out.

If someone can check and confirm this, looks like it's another issue(minor annoyance) introduced in 2.1.8.

The saving grace for this fw, it sounds epic!

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #11,205 of 14,084

tested again, seems to only click when slow roll-off is set. Could you check your settings and compare please?

It clicks at the end of the song and again on the beginning of the next...

OK did a factory reset and tested again. Sharp roll-off, no clicks as with previous firmware, slow roll-out, clicks are introduced. Now here's the weird part which is why some may not notice clicks. Turn gapless on, clicks dissappear on slow roll-out.

If someone can check and confirm this, looks like it's another issue(minor annoyance) introduced in 2.1.8.

The saving grace for this fw, it sounds epic!

I've tried switching between the tracks (automatic,upon the ending of one track and beginning of the next one, as well as manual switching) with DF set to slow (as well as with sharp) and did not hear any clicks (neither I experienced any clicks on previous firmwares). Can't seem to find any advice or suggestion for the solution of your problem:confused_face_2:. I can only remind that the switching between the DF settings itself often generates clicks and, as it was proven by the measurements posted in the Russian forum's thread dedicated to DX 90, previous DX 90 firmware versions had a bug of automatically switching to sharp roll-off setting (disregarding the current DF settings) when starting the playback of a next track. Though, this bug is gone in 2.1.8 FW, according to the measurements by the same forum member, who reported and evidenced it previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back