DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Sep 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #8,071 of 14,084
   Shure is perfect in clearity but sounds a bit like a High End System with a too small sub. 

Edit: Maybe Shure did that 535 that way to make me buy the IE 800 Sennheiser as well 
biggrin.gif

Shure did it so you`d buy the se846 : in-ear subwoofers ! 

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #8,073 of 14,084
I'm sure this has already been asked but how does the DX50 compare to the DX90 is it worth spending an extra £150 for the DX90. I currenly use an Ipod Classic with an E11 and have done for a past few years. It works but now the Ipod is beginning to go wrong and so i am looking to replace it. 

I've been though most of the thread but if someone can summarize the current thoughts of the two that would be of great help (or link me to a post where it has already been done)

beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #8,075 of 14,084
  I'm sure this has already been asked but how does the DX50 compare to the DX90 is it worth spending an extra £150 for the DX90. I currenly use an Ipod Classic with an E11 and have done for a past few years. It works but now the Ipod is beginning to go wrong and so i am looking to replace it. 

I purchased both and the DX90 is significantly better than the DX50, due to the DX90's far superior amp stage.  If you plan to use an external amp with your DAP, the DX50 will be fine, as you would be bypassing the internal amp stage anyway.  Personally, I found the DX90's internal amp so good that using an external amp is unnecessary.  You also don't have to bother carrying around (and charging) two separate devices.  For me, the DX90 is worth every extra penny you pay over the DX50 price (especially at its current sale price on Amazon). 

One footnote: My impressions are based on the DX90 running either lurker0's modified stock firmware or headwhacker's Rockbox firmware.  The stock iBasso firmware (for both of its players) has always been a mess. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #8,077 of 14,084

I purchased both and the DX90 is significantly better than the DX50, due to the DX90's far superior amp stage.  If you plan to use an external amp with your DAP, the DX50 will be fine, as you would be bypassing the internal amp stage anyway.  Personally, I found the DX90's internal amp so good that using an external amp is unnecessary.  You also don't have to bother carrying around (and charging) two separate devices.  For me, the DX90 is worth every extra penny you pay over the DX50 price (especially at its current sale price on Amazon). 

One footnote: My impressions are based on the DX90 running either lurker0's modified stock firmware or headwhacker's Rockbox firmware.  The stock iBasso firmware (for both of its players) has always been a mess. 

I think this sums it up wonderfully! I did also find the DAC section and line out of the DX90 to be a good step up from the DX50 though as well.

For higher tier IEMs, I do find that giving the DX90 a good amp to still be very beneficial but not a must.

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #8,078 of 14,084
I have that combination. It is not bad but personally I think it lacks the mass in the bass department - but hey I pair it with a Burson SL + LCD2.2 so it's probably not a fair comparison :p

I hope I get the stuff today so I can start burning them in. The bass is important to me, but more importantly that it doesent go into the midrange and infects it. I tried Sennhieser Momentum also but they felt much less clear and open.

I hope to have the opportunity to try even better stuff in the future. Audeze, Hifiman for example.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #8,080 of 14,084
okay - Steel Panther doesn't really do fun with the Shure 535 @ DX90 - they could almost play without the bass guitar player Lexxi ...

=/

These Shure are good for classic... but seems like something is missing in the rock tracks I am listening to. It isnt that warm and compressed atlow mid and low end - far to less kicking me out of my shoes...
Eg. Eating Ain't Cheating... 
https :// www . youtube. com/ watch ?v=4Lll964Z1fk 
eg here https://www. dropbox.com /s/v6qjkjioe3q30eg/Steel%20Panther%20-%20Feel%20The%20Steel%20-%2006%20-%20Eatin%27%20Ain%27t%20Cheatin%27.mp3?dl=0
or https: //www. dropbox.com /s/ase6lhyvln0l8c5/Steel%20Panther%20-%20All%20You%20Can%20Eat%20-%2012%20-%20She%27s%20On%20The%20Rag.flac?dl=0

The first part, don't know how to call this guitar stuff at the very beginning, first seconds... that has to be bumpy from deep frequencies directly switching to a clear bright guitar solo...
Sounds totally flat with the Shure 535+ DX90 - while other modern songs like David Guetta - Lovers of the Sun provide relatively kicking bass (to less as well).
When switching over to the bundled in ears of the Lumia, its clearly a step down in separation and trebs, but a step up an kicking my ears @ lower frequencies. 

Even in Songs like Midnight Mover from Accept - I miss "I'm in there" character... sounds like there is a frequency cut of at ~200hz but I cant say if its the Ibasso or the Shure. Will try to verify playing with other devices....

Edit: DX90 does way better than the Sony Z2 ... which seems to add a slight eq
Seems to be related to the Shure inEars in most cases. When I enable EQ the track seems to loose in dynamic and pressure even if i push the lower frequencies in the iBasso.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #8,081 of 14,084
I hope I get the stuff today so I can start burning them in. The bass is important to me, but more importantly that it doesent go into the midrange and infects it. I tried Sennhieser Momentum also but they felt much less clear and open.

I hope to have the opportunity to try even better stuff in the future. Audeze, Hifiman for example.

If you don't like the Senns perhaps you will find what you are looking for on a Beyer or Grado phone. Audeze's to me is the middle ground.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #8,082 of 14,084
Hi guys!

So, after a long break from Head-Fi, my subscriptions page says that I had 2700 unread posts waiting for me in this thread. What did I miss? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #8,083 of 14,084
You are missing the lurker fw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back