DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #7,966 of 14,084
I just paired my DX90 up with a PortaTube and my JH7's.
Wowzers.
I am in love.
I was just mucking around in jaben and walked out with it haha.

In what aspect does the portatube enhanced the dx90? Any hiss on the iems? And do you think this can power the hungry alpha dogs?

Planning to get a portatube+ too to pair with mine, unfortunately cant try to audition one..

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #7,967 of 14,084
In what aspect does the portatube enhanced the dx90? Any hiss on the iems? And do you think this can power the hungry alpha dogs?

Planning to get a portatube+ too to pair with mine, unfortunately cant try to audition one..

Don't count on it being able to properly drive Alpha Dogs. I have Mad Dogs and about to upgrade to Alphas, and the Mad Dogs (same drivers of course) lose much of the clarity and dynamics being driven directly out of the DX90. It's fine, but it improves significantly once connected to the E12 between the two.

Together with upgrading Mad Dog to Alpha Dog, I'm going to upgrade my E12 to PB2 (2.5W per channel) to have a proper planar (somewhat) portable setup 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: sorry, I just realised you asked about Portatube being able to drive the Alphas rather than the DX90 which I (for some reason) thought you meant at first...

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #7,969 of 14,084
  hello guys...
did some of you tried pairing IBASSO dx90 and ASTELL AND KERN akr02? 
are they a good pair?
please... HELP :)

Why do people keep talking about "pairing"?
The DX90 has great sound quality and very low output impedance so it should should good with any IEM and most headphones.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #7,970 of 14,084
Why do people keep talking about "pairing"?
The DX90 has great sound quality and very low output impedance so it should should good with any IEM and most headphones.

It's about synergy.
Just because you pair a good pair of headphones/earphones with a good source doesn't mean it will sound good.

Also personal taste comes into play largely.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #7,974 of 14,084
Fiio x5 + q701 sounded not good to me. I wouldn't say bad, but it could be a lot better with a better source, especially since they aren't completely neutral.

It's matter of your own taste, if you prefer which source or headphones just grab it

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #7,976 of 14,084
Havent been back to this thread in a while as my DX90 was not working and was sent back to iBasso recently for a repair.

Apparently they said my problem which was - 1. Screen cannot turn on despite changing/charging battery 2. If attempt to switch on, there is a buzz sound from the machine but no light on LCD 3. when connected to PC, can be detected but LCD cannot turn on and cannot be used.

It was apparently a result of some problem in firmware they said.. I am not entirely sure how it is possible for a firmware to completely disable the device like that.. At the time when I was trying to upgrade the firmware by myself, I got an error message and couldnt proceed.

Anyway, my dear DX90 should be on its way back to me and HOPEFULLY shall last much longer than 4 months.. 
Oh I have had to live with poor music quality via my iPhone4 (despite it being ALAC format)..
So HYPED about its return!!

(Hope I dont get charged a fortune by the customs though.. I mean its a used item that was repaired right!?)

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #7,977 of 14,084
In Denmark you don't get charged second time round as long as you can prove that you have paid the first time round and that you have sent it back for repair

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,978 of 14,084
okay, i just got my samsung s3 battery; however, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the battery cover. which makes me feel stupid, but advice? it's extremely tight and i tried pressing on the center and stuff but to no avail.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #7,979 of 14,084
Actually if the source is good and the headphones are good, I can't see how it could sound bad.:confused_face_2:

Its more taste.
If everyone liked the same sound there would be 1 amp, 1 dac and 1 pair of headphones. And everyone would be happy.
I guess an example of this would be the hd800. Fantastic headphone. Pair it with the wrong amp and you aren't going to have a very good day. With the right amp it blows you away. It is not to say those amps that didn't work were not good amps. Just not a good combination.

All this being said I am yet to find anything that doesn't sound good through the dx90 :)

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #7,980 of 14,084
  okay, i just got my samsung s3 battery; however, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the battery cover. which makes me feel stupid, but advice? it's extremely tight and i tried pressing on the center and stuff but to no avail.

Some are a pretty tight fit. It slides off, towards the bottom/end of the DX90 about .5 cm and then it comes off. I use a piece of band (rubber type that is thin but wide) used for working out. It grips the back and then a piece to grip the body of the dx90. For the battery, slap the open case against your other hand/palm, and the battery comes out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back