DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #4,832 of 14,084
Hey Guys

Got my DX90 today its been 4,5 hours of burning in and almost 2,3 hours of play as of now.

Impressions:
I compared the DX90 to my Dell XPS - Audigy 2 on-board audio and to my ears my notebook sounds better:-

Punchy bass - DX90 comparatively sounds muddy and lifeless and bloated.
Low mids - The DX90 has great mids the notebooks mids are quite recessed comparatively.
Highs - I like the notebooks high's are very well placed and just the right sparkle. again DX90 doesn't makes me happy here
Separation - DX90 wins here, Great layering of the instruments notebook is ok relatively DX is great
Soundstage - DX wins just by a margin

Overall feel - I rate the notebook 9/10 DX90 7/10 as of now. The main concern is the bass the M1330 Audigy 2 has exeptional punchy and fast bass, DX90 is not in the same league here.

I love the feel, weight and the built quality of this device.

I hope after a few hundred hours the DX90 comes to life.

Now i have just the Notebook to compare and what matters here is how it sounds to my ears and this is my review and personal opinions.

Thanks

Note - I heard this album recently (VA - The Rough guide to desert blues) Do give it a try.

Update -  after listening the same track 30 times to and fro i concur that the notebook is better in everything except the layering and separation of the instruments.

I wanter the DX90 to sound a lot better then the notebook- but its not the case

Will the SQ improve that much after burn in

Cheers

May 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #4,833 of 14,084
  Hey Guys

Got my DX90 today its been 4,5 hours of burning in and almost 2,3 hours of play as of now.

Impressions:
I compared the DX90 to my Dell XPS - Audigy 2 on-board audio and to my ears my notebook sounds better:-

Low mids - The DX90 has great mids the notebooks mids are quite recessed comparatively.
Highs - I like the notebooks high's are very well placed and just the right sparkle. again DX90 doesn't makes me happy here
Separation - DX90 wins here, Great layering of the instruments notebook is ok relatively DX is great

Overall feel - I rate the notebook 9/10 DX90 7/10 as of now. The main concern is the bass the M1330 Audigy 2 has exeptional punchy and fast bass, DX90 is not in the same league here.

Now i have just the Notebook to compare and what matters here is how it sounds to my ears and this is my review and personal opinions.

Thanks

Note - I heard this album recently (VA - The Rough guide to desert blues) Do give it a try.

Update -  after listening the same track 30 times to and fro i concur that the notebook is better in everything except the layering and separation of the instruments.

Cheers

Mind sharing what headphones you are using?

From basic specifications of the Audigy 2, I dont see how it could sound better than dual ES9018M2K.. But then everyone hear things differently.

May 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,834 of 14,084
May 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4,835 of 14,084
Hey Guys

Impressions:

Thanks

Cheers

Did you turn off all sound "enhancements" in the PC sound drivers? To me, it seems like there could be something like bass boost or similar enabled. Is the EQ switched off on PC?

May 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,836 of 14,084

Mind sharing what headphones you are using?

From basic specifications of the Audigy 2, I dont see how it could sound better than dual ES9018M2K.. But then everyone hear things differently.

Sure, Yes i thought of the same, was a shocker to me

Gr07 Vsonic
ATH-M50 Audio Technica
ATHANC7b AT
Sony NC100D

Most of them are good travel phones but not good phones, but the thing is using the same track and same phones the Audigy to me sounded better , it might be colored and not flat but i was enjoying the sound that came out of it more then the DX90 , that matters to me,

May 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #4,837 of 14,084
Did you turn off all sound "enhancements" in the PC sound drivers? To me, it seems like there could be something like bass boost or similar enabled. Is the EQ switched off on PC?

No i have thing enabled like.
1 db bass boost, -17db Cinema EAX, CMSS 3d and other creative addons. But the thing is it sounds nice to me taking nothing away and enhancing the raw sound just by a bit.

Is'tt that what really matters, The Audigy to me did not alter anything just enhanced the sound a bit that really made it come to life.

The DX90 might be tons better but i prefer the Notebooks sound as of now.

May 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4,839 of 14,084
May 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4,840 of 14,084
i had this clip + that i hated and now this. It cant be true that every online store sends a bad unit to me .. at least i hope its not like that.

Anyways the DX90 is far better from anything else i have but the notebook still trumps it.

I would request you to compare the audigy 2 or other onboard dacs to the DX90 and share your views

May 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4,841 of 14,084
i had this clip + that i hated and now this. It cant be true that every online store sends a bad unit to me .. at least i hope its not like that.

Anyways the DX90 is far better from anything else i have but the notebook still trumps it.

I would request you to compare the audigy 2 or other onboard dacs to the DX90 and share your views

You probably simply like the processed sound from your pc, nothing wrong with that, but in that case I don't think any amount of burn in is going to make you like the DX90

May 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #4,842 of 14,084
You probably simply like the processed sound from your pc, nothing wrong with that, but in that case I don't think any amount of burn in is going to make you like the DX90

I Guess thats that. SAD !

The SAD part is that you realize that after $430.

May 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #4,844 of 14,084
I've heard of equipment requiring many hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I'd give it a week.  I found that playing a white noise file works well for burn-in of audio equipment and headphones.  There are burn-in CD's that work well too.

There is a review of the IsoTek burn-in CD here.

May 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #4,845 of 14,084
My DX90 arrived today! Ordered directly from iBasso website.

I'm listening to it only for a few hours now and of course it would be way too early to say something with substance about the sq...
...but then...I think I like very, very much what I hear
happy_face1.gif
. It sounds impressively lively...so far...and the soundstage is huuuge^^

Test cans:
> AKG K701
> AKG K167
> Sennheiser i8
...evtl more will follow

Test music atm:
> Anne Akiko Meyers - The Four Seasons - The Vivaldi Album [96kHz 24Bit FLAC]
> Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward [96kHz 24Bit Binaural+ FLAC]
> The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings [96kHz 24Bit FLAC]
> and as I write: Amati Quartet plays Haydn: String Quartets, Op.50, No.4 (Der Traum), No.5, 6 (Der Frosch) [44,1kHz 16Bit FLAC]

just wonderful.

Will post more detailed impressions at a later stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back