DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 21, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #3,886 of 14,084

Done.  I've learned a lot since I wrote that and I hope this helps someone.  Don't change all of your tags yet! 

After experimentation I recommend the following to anyone having trouble with media scanning.  Put your micro sd card in and do a scan.  Leave it alone!  It may seem like it locks up, and it is definitely taking longer than it should, but eventually it will clear.  Once done, look at your files, in my case they are all shown as "null" and cannot be accessed via "all music" or file directory view.

Do a factory reset.  After this, every time, all music is still hosed...but now you can go to directory view and select a song from any folder you have.  Once you do that it will do a quick scan of all the songs in that folder, and they will all work correctly and show in "all music" etc.  At least I can use it now...but I have over 500 folders....doing them one at a time does not sound like fun.

My other issue is that the DX90 will occasionally not show correctly in usb connect mode.  It shows the internal memory and the sd card as removable drives, but in the case of the sd card it does not recognize the drive size or label.  Usually dismounting and remounting will fix this, or another factory reset. 

Thanks for your research. You must be a very patient person! I will prepare myself for this.
images

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #3,887 of 14,084
I just hooked up my DX90 to the computer via USB and opened the SD card - the songs are sorted alphabetically by track number - all the 01's, then all the 02's (although before the 02's - we have the 1-01 denoting "first disc: first song") - I right click a song to "get info" (this is a Mac) and I get this...

Is there anywhere I can edit to let the player gather the songs on an album together? No matter what style I sort (artist, album...) it always lists each individual song (actually 700+ songs)

It is just a lot of scrolling to play a song out of order.... and sometimes a scroll turns into an inadvertent selection.

Are you not transferring the songs to the dx90 in their own folders?

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,888 of 14,084
I just hooked up my DX90 to the computer via USB and opened the SD card - the songs are sorted alphabetically by track number - all the 01's, then all the 02's (although before the 02's - we have the 1-01 denoting "first disc: first song") - I right click a song to "get info" (this is a Mac) and I get this...

Is there anywhere I can edit to let the player gather the songs on an album together? No matter what style I sort (artist, album...) it always lists each individual song (actually 700+ songs)

It is just a lot of scrolling to play a song out of order.... and sometimes a scroll turns into an inadvertent selection.

Why not just copy the exact folder structure of iTunes to your SD card.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,889 of 14,084
Is it worth upgrading to the dx90 from a dx50? I've heard the amp section is much better but my headphones (Philips Fidelio L2) are low impedance (16 ohm) so do I really need a better amp section? Also, is there a benefit to having to 2 mono dac chips rather than 1 stereo? Thanks for any help!

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #3,890 of 14,084

I'm notMac user, so forgive the following heresy.

There is one sure way that I know of to sort out your problem. That is to get hold of a Windows machine, install mp3tag, connect your DX90 via USB and use mp3tag to sort out your tags.

To use mp3tag on a Mac, read this:

http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/general/3341-mac-os-x-version-of-mp3tag

Enjoy yourself,

Depaor :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,891 of 14,084
Is it worth upgrading to the dx90 from a dx50? I've heard the amp section is much better but my headphones (Philips Fidelio L2) are low impedance (16 ohm) so do I really need a better amp section? Also, is there a benefit to having to 2 mono dac chips rather than 1 stereo? Thanks for any help!

IMHO it's really worth it. II also use a Fidelio L2 (wonderful headphones by the way), and am very happy with the DX90. The DX50 is a good DAP, but the DX90 exceed's it because of it's wonderful clear and detailed sound. I was in love with the DX50 but do not regret buying the DX90 for one moment. I still have some scanning issues with it, but am confident iBasso will have a medicine for that also. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #3,893 of 14,084
You guys use 450 usd dap with 200 usd headphones

I am.not really sure about you anymore

Did you ever listen to the Fidelio L2. IMHO price is really not a good argument for deciding and making an opinion. After listening and feeling the music, is a much more honest instrument. Even with much cheaper headphones, like the Porta Pro the DX90 still sounds wonderful. At least that´s the way I see it, but each can have it´s own opinion of course.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,895 of 14,084
A good source with mediocre headphones will sound better than a poor source with good headphones.

Always been the way with hifi, get the best source you can and build from there. 

Actually I don't agree, the difference in the source (baseline is it can play hi res files) is subtle than headphones. A bad headphone can't just sound good with a better source. IMO, it's difficult to pick up subtle difference between DAPs if you have a crappy headphone. (It already sounded crappy to begin with). However, changing the headphone can give you the biggest gain in SQ and fidelity.

And a very good headphone will definitely sound better with better source.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #3,896 of 14,084
Wh
Just put the DX90 I received on Friday up for sale, http://www.head-fi.org/t/715395/ibasso-dx-90, Going to stick with X5.

What's the reason for ditching the dx90? I'm considering both, and I haven't decided yet, so a reason would give me an idea.

Anyone tried both and is able to give a a/b comparison? Would be very much appreciated :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,897 of 14,084

A good source with mediocre headphones will sound better than a poor source with good headphones.

Always been the way with hifi, get the best source you can and build from there. 

Actually I don't agree, the difference in the source (baseline is it can play hi res files) is subtle than headphones. A bad headphone can't just sound good with a better source. IMO, it's difficult to pick up subtle difference between DAPs if you have a crappy headphone. (It already sounded crappy to begin with). However, changing the headphone can give you the biggest gain in SQ and fidelity.

And a very good headphone will definitely sound better with better source.

Be it as may be, price is not an argument to decide whether a headphone or DAP is good or bad. Only listening to it is the only honest judge. It is possible to have lower priced headphones (Fidelio L2?) and DAP's (DX 50 or DX90), they can be better than higher priced ones. That's the joy of reading posts at Head-fi, to try and find those good priced products. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,898 of 14,084
Be it as may be, price is not an argument to decide whether a headphone or DAP is good or bad. Only listening to it is the only honest judge. It is possible to have lower priced headphones (Fidelio L2?) and DAP's (DX 50 or DX90), they can be better than higher priced ones. That's the joy of reading posts at Head-fi, to try and find those good priced products. 

To be clear I only said better sounding headphone, not higher priced. Usually the price difference doesn't equate to the same SQ difference.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,899 of 14,084

To be clear I only said better sounding headphone, not higher priced. Usually the price difference doesn't equate to the same SQ difference.

You're 100% right with that. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #3,900 of 14,084
It arrived this morning, thanks DHL !!!
OMG this thing to my ears sounds better than ZX1 which is of course in the same league , but even right out of the box the 90 sounds fuller, more dynamic and sooo exciting, bass is awesome!!! ZX1 is clear and detailed, but this thing's got all that plus much much more, audio nirvana right now
L3000.gif

And thats after the ZX1 update last nite, hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back