DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #646 of 14,084
  that cable costs more than DX90, INSANE

I'm not above spending crazy money on gear, if I get a crazy audio improvement in return. Case in point:

I tried the Toxic Cables Silver Poison over a couple of weeks and found that the audible improvements were in the 1-2% range at the most and I sure wouldn't want to try a blind test. The Heir Audio Magnus cables I'm currently using are SPC tinsel wire with Kevlar shielding. Stupidly flexible so they win big on ergonomics. I've got the new Noble stock cable ($39, a friggin STEAL!) and it is the very same as the Heir Magnus. Price/performance Nirvana right there.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #647 of 14,084
  I'm not above spending crazy money on gear, if I get a crazy audio improvement in return. Case in point:

I tried the Toxic Cables Silver Poison over a couple of weeks and found that the audible improvements were in the 1-2% range at the most and I sure wouldn't want to try a blind test. The Heir Audio Magnus cables I'm currently using are SPC tinsel wire with Kevlar shielding. Stupidly flexible so they win big on ergonomics. I've got the new Noble stock cable ($39, a friggin STEAL!) and it is the very same as the Heir Magnus. Price/performance Nirvana right there.

My goal this year is to have at least one set of headphones for each type (dynamic, planar, closed, electrostatic) so that I can appreciate sound from each type. I guess I am not that advanced to spend this much on tweaks yet. I can understand after people have collected all, they would spend a lot for that extra mile.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #649 of 14,084

Gold plated would suit those K10s best IMHO.

Agreed. Gold plated silver multifilament would look nothing short of spectacular.

Edit:
Hi, I'm Soren's Visa card. Don't give Soren ideas like that or I will hunt you down and make this hurt you as much as it hurts me. I'm watching you, bro.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #650 of 14,084
  Agreed. Gold plated silver multifilament would look nothing short of spectacular.

Edit:
Hi, I'm Soren's Visa card. Don't give Soren ideas like that or I will hunt you down and make this hurt you as much as it hurts me. I'm watching you, bro.

Well mine ships tomorrow...you know you want one now.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #651 of 14,084
One of each, thats exactly what I have in mind, and I want to do this within 2000 USD as I need to cater for one or two DAPs in between, so this is not going to be easy.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #652 of 14,084

The Magnus is a good cable. But switching to a Silver Widow made my 8.a's sound more open, with a sweeter and more complex sound. Way better than 1-2%. But then again Silver Poison is not Silver Widow....

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #654 of 14,084
Giving percentages is a bit hard to conceptualize...what does 1.86% gain in sound mean?

7 hundreds of a smidgen of improvement precisely...
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #655 of 14,084
Giving percentages is a bit hard to conceptualize...what does 1.86% gain in sound mean?

The way I conceptualize it is that 100% would be the best sound you could possibly hear without any improvement. Most audiophile stuff I consider to be in the 85-98% range of the best possible sound. Depending on what kind of person you are getting to the low 90% range may be just perfect for you, but some people hear huge differences when you spend lots of money to get the extra percentages. So if the IEM set up he has was at a 92% he would now feel that his new set up is at a 94%. 2% closer to that perfect sound. However it is all subjective as I could make my setup exactly the same and I could feel like the cable only adds a .5% change. It is also depends on how much that percentage is important to each individual person. For example I heard a $400 Pro-ject carbon at an audio store which is around a 90% for me, but then I also heard a $15k turntable which I felt was probably around the 97% of the best sound in the turntable world. The 7% may be minute for some (especially considering the price), but that 7% was night and day for me.

I guess I see it as trying to add a scale to convey how much closer you are getting to what you consider the perfect sound. Of course there is no clear answer as all audio is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back