DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #11,716 of 14,084

Thorough and well written review.  However, you've missed a key point.  Nowhere in your review do you state which firmware you were running when you evaluated the player.  More so than any other DAP on the market, the sound of the iBasso players varies greatly depending on the firmware you're running.  You can sift through the previous 780 pages of this thread for more details.

I would suggest you listen to your DX90 running Rockbox or Lurker0's modified version of the stock Mango firmware (2.1.5L is recommended) before you reach any conclusions.

Please check the 4th paragraph.  It's v2.1.5.
OK, here's where I start getting myself in trouble.  Yes, I've read the various discussions on firmware affecting the sound profile.  There is a similar line in the X5 thread.  I'm somewhat skeptical.  Without knowing the specifics of the changes - such as is there a change in a DSP algorithm - I hesitate to go down that road.  I would not dispute what anyone says as far as what they hear or experience.  But for me, I would need to understand the vectors involved before I jump in.  Thank you for reading the review and your comments.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #11,719 of 14,084
The musicality,mids and smoothness of treble of the v.2.1.5l2 (especially with slow roll off),the bass of the stock v2.0 and the soundstage and airiness of v2.1.8,now that would make the ultimate end game dx90.Well,a guy can dream
redface.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #11,720 of 14,084
  The musicality,mids and smoothness of treble of the v.2.1.5l2 (especially with slow roll off),the bass of the stock v2.0 and the soundstage and airiness of v2.1.8,now that would make the ultimate end game dx90.Well,a guy can dream
redface.gif

is 2.1.8 even more airier than the 2.1.5 L2 ? wow.

i have not tried the 2.1.8 (as people here have expressed various problems/bugs) , i guess 2.1.5 L2 is fine for now

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #11,721 of 14,084
Yeah the mids are kinda recessed and not so forward in 2.1.8 ,feels like no frequency jumps out on you imo and that makes the soundstage sound bigger.Of course forward mids and big soundstage is a hard thing to do perfectly ,more like fine balancing in most situations.Keep in mind that i'm just taking parts of the strengths of each firmware and magic glue them together,in the real world it's not that simple referring again to the mids and soundstage previous comment.I do miss the almost subwoofer bass impact the ie800 had with stock fw, even though the mids and high have improved with the latest firmwares providing a more engaging and musical dx90 sound.

Yes,the 2.1.8 is buggy unfortunately,those with several mp3 files will have certain songs cut out or resetting dx90 altogether.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11,723 of 14,084
Hey guys, just received my new DX90 today - got a defective headphone jack with the first one -.

What volume level do you recommend to enjoy it while avoiding hear loss risk?

I usually use the 60/60 rule (60% vol for 60mn a day) but in this case 60% means about 150 which is pretty low to me.
But at the same time I don't want to take any risk.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #11,724 of 14,084
Hey guys, just received my new DX90 today - got a defective headphone jack with the first one -.

What volume level do you recommend to enjoy it while avoiding hear loss risk?

I usually use the 60/60 rule (60% vol for 60mn a day) but in this case 60% means about 150 which is pretty low to me.
But at the same time I don't want to take any risk.

That totally depends on the headphones, recording and gain setting

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #11,725 of 14,084

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry I thought I said it on the previous post, but I use the SE846.

For the gain I switch it sometimes, but usually middle or high. and I play most of the time FLAC (usually lvl 5) so 16-bit/44.1kHz.

Just curious about how loud I can go for 1h a day without risk, even if it means a vague answer like "between 150 and 200" or "less than 250". 

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #11,726 of 14,084

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry I thought I said it on the previous post, but I use the SE846.

For the gain I switch it sometimes, but usually middle or high. and I play most of the time FLAC (usually lvl 5) so 16-bit/44.1kHz.

Just curious about how loud I can go for 1h a day without risk, even if it means a vague answer like "between 150 and 200" or "less than 250". 

I have the se846 on high mostly and around 185-190 vol depending the recording and genre of course.If you had a dynamic it would be a bit higher.Age plays a part of course,the younger the louder
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #11,728 of 14,084
Thank you! I usually listen to J-pop/Rock and a bit of classical. I'm 24 and I want to enjoy music as long as I can :)

I don't want to come across as lecturing, but if you seriously want to be able to enjoy music for as long a you can definitely be careful with your listening volume.  I know that it's fun to really crank it up, but I would listen to the lowest volume possible that still allows for enjoyment.  Otherwise you'll damage your hearing before you realize.  Again, not lecturing - just relating personal experience.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #11,729 of 14,084
I don't want to come across as lecturing, but if you seriously want to be able to enjoy music for as long a you can definitely be careful with your listening volume.  I know that it's fun to really crank it up, but I would listen to the lowest volume possible that still allows for enjoyment.  Otherwise you'll damage your hearing before you realize.  Again, not lecturing - just relating personal experience.

That's exactly why I came here and asked what level would be safe, and the reason I said I want to enjoy music as long as I can, because loud music means hearing loss so I would miss X years of music.

Thank you for your concern anyway, it's true most people do not realize headphones danger. I realized it only recently as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back