DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #11,011 of 14,084
I've got about 12 hours of solid play on 2.1.8.

I am noticing a slight difference sound wise from 2.1.5. listening to from high res Warren Zevon to Bach to 2014 Pop Chart Toppers.
It seems to have lost some of its rawer edge of the last. I'm not displeased by the change, mind. Its, more, mature I guess. 

However; personally, I am noticing a huge difference in usability of my device. My media scans went from groan inducing to acceptable, I'll take it. I can now actually open my all music folder, how novel. It has about 12 hours of more or less buggy shuffle, which prior, with this cards collection, the device was grinding to a halt.    

The font sucks ibasso. I'm not sure You're hearing us. The font sucks ibasso. One more time, the font suckssssss.....Hire Lurker and be done with it ibasso. Seriously. 

My setup DX90 > SE846

YMMV **shrugs**

edited to add: I mostly use the directory function to navigate the DX90. I have OTG storage, and use the internal storage. I'm have no hopes my classical collections will ever be handy on a display.   

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #11,012 of 14,084
Hi there,

before having bought an iBasso DX90, I contacted the company support and ask if DFF was going to be supported. "In the next firmware" was the answer. Really? Heh, who needs customer loyalty nowadays...

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #11,013 of 14,084
Wow, I am really getting slam with this bass. Elton John, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (reissue) never sounded better. I don't seem to be having any issue with sorting and scanning so far. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #11,014 of 14,084
I have some issues with scan media too

With 2.15 the media scan was perfect

so i have this issue too, on just 2 of my albums, so i went looking for flac files headers and found out something different in the files that show wrong info. I don't understand what this means but is a pattern that can help the experts figure out whats going on, see pics below : GREEN works fine, RED shows repeated info.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46063992/bugibasso.jpg

i cant attach pictures yet i think. so i uploaded the image to my dropbox

bye
Hope this helps

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #11,016 of 14,084
So, I followed the below instructions in the readme and the manual.  I am going to time my media scan of my SD Card.  Before the update, it took 40 minutes (I know, ymmv), so let's see if it has improved and by how much.  Clock is currently ticking.  And the results....7 minutes!  Much better!  Way to go, Paul.
 Thanks!

Instruction For Firmware update:
1, extract the zip file, and copy the update.img into the DX90;
2, once copied, safely disconnect the DX90 from the computer;
3, select Settings--->Advanced--->System update (the system update option appears only after the update.img is inside the DX90);
4, click OK to start the firmware update;
5, the DX90 will reboot after firmware update completed. 
6, select Settings--->Advanced--->Factory Reset to reset the DX90.  This is to avoid conflicts with residual settings from the previous firmware
7, delete the update.img.

Improvements with this firmware:
1. 10 bands EQ 
2. Improved media scan ability.
3, Quicker startup speed. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #11,017 of 14,084
Well, when I tried to install the new firmware I found out that I'd managed to run my DX90's battery dry listening to it while asleep.  I've recharged it enough to do the installation but haven't actually listened yet.  Initial observation: the media scanning on my $350 DX90 is finally as fast as it is on my $100 FiiO X1.  It took a while but that's pretty spiffy.  (Now let's see if everything [dis]plays properly.)

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #11,018 of 14,084
I think I spotted the bug of duplicate names of files and folder wehen in media view: there's something wrong with Id3v2 tags.
I took a folder that caused the problem, deleted all tags, retagged with mp3 tag and then all went fine.

My tags were written by EAC latest version. See pictures below

1-2: bug in dx90 with these tags id3v2

3-4 after rewriting tags, no more bug

Hope this helps! Since 2.1.5 worked fine, I wouldn't have to change all taggings, it would be a real PIA!

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #11,019 of 14,084
Sound wise. I'm not sure. Im listening with my JH-16 which have a lot of bass, on low gain. Sounds good. Deep. I need to try on my JH-13, which I prefer as they have a cleaner, more neutral sound.

Onto JH-13: sounds deeper, with more bass than before, but I'm going from memory here regarding fw versions. I thought the previous sound was a tad bright, so I'm not bothered by additional bass on 13s, and I'll mix and match my choice of item depending on the music I'm playing. I bought my dx90 to play my hi-rez files from hd tracks that I couldn't play on my iPod, and I generally listen to those, and they sound great with the dx90 compared to non hi-rez tracks on my iPod/pico combo. That is the big difference I'm currently enjoying. I will likely need more time to gauge fw sound differences.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #11,020 of 14,084
  I think I spotted the bug of duplicate names of files and folder wehen in media view: there's something wrong with Id3v2 tags.
I took a folder that caused the problem, deleted all tags, retagged with mp3 tag and then all went fine.

So is the problem fixed then? Is it the FW or is it the way your music was tagged, I am not clear on this and wondering. 

-------

All my music sounds better on this new version of FW. This is much closer to the ZX2, which surprises me. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #11,021 of 14,084

My tags were written by EAC latest version. See pictures below

1-2: bug in dx90 with these tags id3v2

3-4 after rewriting tags, no more bug

Hope this helps! Since 2.1.5 worked fine, I wouldn't have to change all taggings, it would be a real PIA!

I can confirm that the issue happens (only?) with id3v2 tags.

Thanks for the info.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #11,022 of 14,084

The only problem I've had is the first gapless play, after a power on, is missed but all subsequent gapless plays are flawless until the next power on.

Update: Gapless is no longer gapless as of FW 2.18 update. After years of not hearing seams in my music while using an iPod and now my AK240, I'm spoiled and can't go back. Can I safely revert back to 2.15 without bricking the DX90? Waiting months for the next FW update, to sort out this bug, isn't something I'm willing to do.   

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #11,023 of 14,084
The new FW sounds better! More bass slam, more airiness in between instruments and a slightly larger soundstage! :) Actually the 10 band EQ works pretty well too. At least noticeable changes can be detected compared to previous firmwares EQ. Though EQ off is still the best.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #11,024 of 14,084
Has anyone had issues installing this? It shows on my computer that 2.1.8 is the only thing on there but the DAP shows 2.1.5 still. I have tried to install it 5 times already, mind you I have done this countless times I'm not sure what the issue is.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #11,025 of 14,084
Has anyone had issues installing this? It shows on my computer that 2.1.8 is the only thing on there but the DAP shows 2.1.5 still. I have tried to install it 5 times already, mind you I have done this countless times I'm not sure what the issue is.

Do you see the update.img file in the DX90's root folder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back