DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #7,022 of 14,084
Thanks for all the battery updates. I just bought a DX90 and wanted to have more than one battery to play around with and keep as a spare for continuous use. I bought a wall charger + extra battery (non genuine), one genuine (I hope) Samsung 2100 battery, and one non-genuine 4800 battery. Also have 2 128gb cards on the way. The DX90 and all the rest of it should get here next week!

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #7,023 of 14,084
On sharp roll off vs slow, I hear more ambience and a slightly improved bass. The sound is more open on the slow roll-off, IMO. It is not much but it is there from what I hear. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #7,025 of 14,084
Anyone planning on getting the DX90j coming out this Friday?
It's a huge waste of money, I just spent the 30 mins reading translated google pages. The only difference is that it has 9 hours of battery life (as opposed to 8.5), lead free silver solder and the facility where they manufactured it is supposedly a high end radio parts plant. Yeah so get ready for this they want 58860 yen for it, I did the currency exchange to US dollars and it's $579!!!

I read these Japanese forums and they seem outraged because it's $179 more than the international version and I guess it sounds like 1% better LOL

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #7,026 of 14,084
That`s just the list price; actual street prices here will be considerably less.  

Also, that the unit is made in a different assembly plant could very well be significant.  Those Hibino guys are a passionate crew; their main business is high-end/pro audio solutions so I doubt they`re releasing this dx90 just as a gimmick.  

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #7,027 of 14,084
That`s just the list price; actual street prices here will be considerably less.  

Also, that the unit is made in a different assembly plant could very well be significant.  Those Hibino guys are a passionate crew; their main business is high-end/pro audio solutions so I doubt they`re releasing this dx90 just as a gimmick.  

At least the R10 use a different opamp than DX100 that makes up for a noticeable difference/improvement of sound. I believe it also uses a separate software branch compared to DX100 which makes it more or less stable and consistent.

But for the DX90J, I'm not convinced there will be enough change/difference than the vanilla DX90 to justify the price uptick. Why would a different assembly matter in the case of DX90's assembly if there won't be any changes in the circuit or materials (I don't consider solder to be one). Is the new assembly plant standing on a holy ground? :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #7,028 of 14,084
It's a huge waste of money, I just spent the 30 mins reading translated google pages. The only difference is that it has 9 hours of battery life (as opposed to 8.5), lead free silver solder and the facility where they manufactured it is supposedly a high end radio parts plant. Yeah so get ready for this they want 58860 yen for it, I did the currency exchange to US dollars and it's $579!!!

I read these Japanese forums and they seem outraged because it's $179 more than the international version and I guess it sounds like 1% better LOL

I guess the 0.5hr additional battery life is because of a better battery. On a surface mount circuit board like the DX90's, high silver content solder won't make much difference. So it will be the battery and the possible different firmware which would contribute to any sonic difference.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #7,031 of 14,084
well if my memory serves me right im pretty sure the dx90j uses the same spec battery and it gets 0.5 hour more life from the solder (this doesnt make too much sense but oh well) and i read that it uses the exact same firmware (slight chance im wrong)

also i remember some angry japanese guy saying that the original chinese dx90 assembly plant was a sloppy mess and they had tons of problems. i guess the employees at the new plant have much higher qualifications and theyre trained to be audio genie's pretty much

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #7,032 of 14,084
On sharp roll off vs slow, I hear more ambience and a slightly improved bass. The sound is more open on the slow roll-off, IMO. It is not much but it is there from what I hear. 
set mine also on slow-roll off and agree that the sound is more open :wink:

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #7,033 of 14,084
set mine also on slow-roll off and agree that the sound is more open
wink.gif

this thing is already more ambiance and more open, I can't imagine how the sound would like if more than the way it is now

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #7,034 of 14,084
well if my memory serves me right im pretty sure the dx90j uses the same spec battery and it gets 0.5 hour more life from the solder (this doesnt make too much sense but oh well) and i read that it uses the exact same firmware (slight chance im wrong)

Well, may be the battery has the same cspacity spec but with Korea/Japan cell? If they use silver on the circuit board trace then I will believe it will save power. No way just a couple % increase of silver content in solder will make much difference. Unlike through hole circuit board, solder used on surface mount circuit are for fixation purpose rather than conducting purpose. The component on surface mount circuit board can make direct metal to metal contact to the board trace. Actually the less solder used the better.

I am 100% sure it will have its own firmware, for just to have "DX90j" shown on the startup screen. This alone may as well affect the device's memory allocation for loading a different size start up image file. Given how sensitive the DX90 firmware codes are, a different sound signature may as well be introduced. Then there will be another round of arguement here. LOL

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #7,035 of 14,084
Well, may be the battery has the same cspacity spec but with Korea/Japan cell? If they use silver on the circuit board trace then I will believe it will save power. No way just a couple % increase of silver content in solder will make much difference. Unlike through hole circuit board, solder used on surface mount circuit are for fixation purpose rather than conducting purpose. The component on surface mount circuit board can make direct metal to metal contact to the board trace. Actually the less solder used the better.

I am 100% sure it will have its own firmware, for just to have "DX90j" shown on the startup screen. This alone may as well affect the device's memory allocation for loading a different size start up image file. Given how sensitive the DX90 firmware codes are, a different sound signature may as well be introduced. Then there will be another round of arguement here. LOL

The firmware may have made enough difference to distinguish it from the vanilla DX90. But I won't go far as saying that changing the logo on the startup screen could make a difference in sound :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back