DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #7,007 of 14,084
Love the sound coming out from my newly-arrived DN-2000. Terrific bass & mids. Soundstage is wide and 3D-like. Slightly recessed treble but I like the sound overall. :D

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #7,008 of 14,084

If the sonic differences I'm hearing are simply the result of buffer settings, then the entire device must have some serious design problems.  Personally, I don't believe that is the case at all.  If you listen to the DX50 running Rockbox, all of that device's irritating colorations immediately dissolve.  I can only hope we'll some day get to hear the DX90 under the same conditions. 

After going through about 5-6 DX50 FW versions (some of which seriously overhyped like 1.2.2) only to find RockBox immediately much more likeable (in the sense of being transparent/neutral) than any of them, I cannot agree more with what you are saying....

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #7,009 of 14,084
  BTW I am using a pair se846 with the DX90, seriously, the DX90 turned the Shure into a pair surround sound earphone, sorry i don't know how to describe, but that was my initial impression. 

I using the SE846 too~~ The DX90 also control the 846 bass very well, so which filters you using for your 846?

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #7,010 of 14,084

Well, then we'll have to agree to disagree.  The sonic differences beteween firmware releases are significant ones to my ears, and they're even more obvious if you listen to the differences in the DX50's firmware versions.  If the sonic differences I'm hearing are simply the result of buffer settings, then the entire device must have some serious design problems.  Personally, I don't believe that is the case at all.  If you listen to the DX50 running Rockbox, all of that device's irritating colorations immediately dissolve.  I can only hope we'll some day get to hear the DX90 under the same conditions. 

I have also never said the sonic differences would show up in "specs" or "testing."  In fact, it doesn't suprise me in the least that they don't - but that certainly doesn't mean those sonic differeces don't exist. 

You're kind of missing the point. I never said the FWs didn't sound different. I have acknowledged or reported it on numerous occasions. It's just than 'DSP processing tricks' or anything outside of normal decoding would show up in tests or curves/pulses. So no trickery is involved here though they may be massaging the existing codecs or tweaking them with resource changes but doing so without affecting their inherent correctness. I think the issue is that some feel there needs to be trickery involved for a sonic change to take place in a unit that's revealing and neutral enough not to mask it.

If adding crossfade, it would show up in the crosstalk measurement. If they added reverb or delay, all the waves and pulses would show it. EQ is rather obvious in testing. If tested with a known comparative source for low level distortion, anything not of the original signal would be part of that distortion spec and a BIG number besides. iBasso is not playing tricks or games with the sound. They are optimizing the performance of the codecs in system and/or trying to minimize the effects of display, processors, ports etc have on the sound. It's tricky but not trickery and also why computers are relatively poor music sources unless fully optimized for the task and then most of those still use USB DACs and switching supplies.
triportsad.gif

One of the things I really appreciate about iBasso is that they are not satiated when something specs as planned. They are obviously music lovers and continually trying to get us closer to the message in the art form.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #7,011 of 14,084
  FW is 2.0 right out of the box, I just downloaded the 2.1 but don't know how to upgrade, can someone enlighten me?

Open readme.txt file after unzipiping FW folder and follow the instructions 1 to 7. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #7,012 of 14,084
  You're kind of missing the point. I never said the FWs didn't sound different. I have acknowledged or reported it on numerous occasions. It's just than 'DSP processing tricks' or anything outside of normal decoding would show up in tests or curves/pulses. So no trickery is involved here though they may be massaging the existing codecs or tweaking them with resource changes but doing so without affecting their inherent correctness. I think the issue is that some feel there needs to be trickery involved for a sonic change to take place in a unit that's revealing and neutral enough not to mask it.

One of the things I really appreciate about iBasso is that they are not satiated when something specs as planned. They are obviously music lovers and continually trying to get us closer to the message in the art form.

I do understand your point.  You don't believe deliberate DSP processing changes are the reason for the differences in the sound of the player with each firmware update.  You may or may not be correct about that. 

However, I do not think you understood my point.  In response to my initial post, you stated that I was "totally wrong" and then took me to task for using the phrase "DSP processing tricks."  DSP processing was but one example I threw out there as a possible reason for the sonic changes, but it was certainly not the primary point of my post (although I maintain that it remains a distinct possibility).  My point was that Rockchip (essentially a subcontractor) may be entirely responsible for the changes to the player's sound and not iBasso.  Is it possible Rockchip is making these changes (either deliberately or accidentally) as they develop the player's firmware and iBasso is either oblivious, or powerless to do anything about it? 

If you look at my initial post, I even asked rhetorically, "Why would iBasso put so much effort into using the best hardware components in their DAPs, only to intentionally color the sound with DSP processing tricks?"  My point being that perhaps iBasso is NOT intentionally coloring the sound - maybe Rockhip is! 

IBasso's responses to our questions about these sonic changes have not been consistent.  For a long time, they told us they were not aware of any changes to the sound at all.  Now they're apparently saying they are making changes to the decoding library which account for the differences we're hearing.  That inconsistency leads me to believe that iBasso may have no control over these changes.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #7,013 of 14,084
  Having paralleled two of the Samsung Korean made batteries, to my ear, while the Samsung is better than anything else I have tried, two are even better. 

Yes, my curiosity was piqued when I saw your post.  As I have extra Korea/China and Korea/Vietnam batteries, I was planning to try those bridged together, and compare them to the Japan/China battery.  I believe you do not have a Japan battery?  And I don't have a Korea battery.  So we still don't have a comparison between the Japan and Korea battery........

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #7,014 of 14,084

I do understand your point.  You don't believe deliberate DSP processing changes are the reason for the differences in the sound of the player with each firmware update.  You may or may not be correct about that. 

However, I do not think you understood my point.  In response to my initial post, you stated that I was "totally wrong" and then took me to task for using the phrase "DSP processing tricks."  DSP processing was but one example I threw out there as a possible reason for the sonic changes, but it was certainly not the primary point of my post (although I maintain that it remains a distinct possibility).  My point was that Rockchip (essentially a subcontractor) may be entirely responsible for the changes to the player's sound and not iBasso.  Is it possible Rockchip is making these changes (either deliberately or accidentally) as they develop the player's firmware and iBasso is either oblivious, or powerless to do anything about it? 

If you look at my initial post, I even asked rhetorically, "Why would iBasso put so much effort into using the best hardware components in their DAPs, only to intentionally color the sound with DSP processing tricks?"  My point being that perhaps iBasso is NOT intentionally coloring the sound - maybe Rockhip is! 

IBasso's responses to our questions about these sonic changes have not been consistent.  For a long time, they told us they were not aware of any changes to the sound at all.  Now they're apparently saying they are making changes to the decoding library which account for the differences we're hearing.  That inconsistency leads me to believe that iBasso may have no control over these changes.

You are free to believe what you like but the sound improving like it has would have very little to do with the SOC maker. It's very difficult to believe that we have hackers here that can redo the DX50's FW but iBasso isn't capable of the same with their own DX90. Perhaps you've forgotten that the FW is built on a very versatile Android platform. There's a reason beyond iBasso's familiarity of years of working with it in their DX100. Also Rockchip. To me, they appear to be a company of enthusiasts that are more concerned about getting the most music out of their player than they are concerned that some may not like (the) change. We'll just agree to disagree.

At least you're quoting verbatim if not in context. The quote was "My guess is that you would be totally wrong." Which clearly makes it opinion rather than stating it as fact.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,015 of 14,084
Someone asked earlier if photos could be shown of the UK e-bay Japan-made S3 batteries. I bought one and here are the pics:

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #7,017 of 14,084
Someone asked earlier if photos could be shown of the UK e-bay Japan-made S3 batteries. I bought one and here are the pics:

Can u please post the link where u got them from, I recently got one from UK because the one in the picture was just like yours but I received a Korean-Chinese one.
Thanks

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #7,018 of 14,084
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #7,019 of 14,084
i just got my dx90 the other day, so far im loving it. its a notable improvement over my fiio x3. so far my best synergy is dx90 with grado sr325is, i thought the sony xba h3 would have amazing synergy with it because their tones are kind of opposites, dont get me wrong the xba h3 sounds better out of the dx90 than the fiio x3 but its just not the improvement i was counting on. the shure srh840 pairs decently nice though, still have to try my amperiors, ue6000, and xba 3

quick question though, the digital filters (sharp roll off and slow roll off) i know someone already asked this but what exactly do they do? i cant hear a difference even on neil young's harvest album, i figured that would be an easy piece of music to use for that test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back