DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,492 of 14,084
Bad news about the firmware, now I figured out where the pops come from. It's the firmware that sets it up. My player was not popping up before now it does. What are those iBasso firmware programmers doing to the player???

I thought the relay operation was out of programming control and just a boot up or shutdown process from a programmed chip in the player? :confused:

May 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #5,494 of 14,084
Bad news about the firmware, now I figured out where the pops come from. It's the firmware that sets it up. My player was not popping up before now it does. What are those iBasso firmware programmers doing to the player???

I thought the relay operation was out of programming control and just a boot up or shutdown process from a programmed chip in the player?
confused.gif

Sometimes, one could almost be forgiven for wondering whether some 3rd-party firmware programmers might be being tempted to deliberately 'break' some parts of the code, whilst performing contracted improvements elsewhere in the code, so as to ensure ongoing contracts for future firmware revisions.

I'm not implying that that actually happens, but strewth... it does make you wonder.    If firmware/software programming was truly that hit-&-miss, in the 21st century, there would never be any development, as companies would be too scared to advance their software past a basic functional point. Something just doesn't add-up, to me, when I see functionality being broken or altered in firmware, when a company is swearing they have made no deliberate changes, or have no control over changes to things like SQ, whilst other parts of the firmware are being 'fixed'.

Please note that this isn't aimed directly or specifically at iBasso.

@musicheaven: have you tried downgrading the firmware again, to check if the issue disappears?

May 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5,495 of 14,084
I am using the player at work like I do every single day. I use a pair of Momentum and I flip the player in shutdown or startup mode constantly because of meetings. I upgraded the firmware yesterday evening before going to sleep and today I have this clicking through my headphone issues which I never did before.

May 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #5,496 of 14,084
I have a feeling some people aren't concentrating hard enough on their listening, or are expecting a drastic sound change from the filters. Make sure your changing filters while a song is playing and your listening intently. Let me put it like this, when I change the filters, Its not like I can instantly hear a difference in the sound, its so subtle that only after listening for several seconds I can tell there has been a slight change in the note decay.

May 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #5,497 of 14,084
Sometimes, one could almost be forgiven for wondering whether some 3rd-party firmware programmers might be being tempted to deliberately 'break' some parts of the code, whilst performing improvements elsewhere in the code, so as to ensure ongoing contracts for future firmware revisions.

I'm not implying that that actually happens, but strewth... it does make you wonder.    If firmware/software programming was really that hit-&-miss, there would never be any development, as companies would be too scared to advance their software past a basic functional point.

They never heard of regression testing? Tbh if we were doing what they just did I don't think we'd have a job. The users would be all over us and the pink slip would follow.

I suggested to the head-fi reps that they conduct proper regression testings few weeks before release, even proposed we get involved but no, they prefer their own little lab team which somehow always seem to fail to fully test the updated player and then we are here discussing firmware issues . :frowning2:

May 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,498 of 14,084
Well it is not easy as none of the errors people encounter are encountered by every owner. I personally have none of them.

May 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #5,499 of 14,084

I thought the relay operation was out of programming control and just a boot up or shutdown process from a programmed chip in the player? :confused:

I am using the player at work like I do every single day. I use a pair of Momentum and I flip the player in shutdown or startup mode constantly because of meetings. I upgraded the firmware yesterday evening before going to sleep and today I have this clicking through my headphone issues which I never did before.

Are you talking popping or clicking?

Mine has always made a barely audible click on power up - absolutely nothing I'd ever give a second thought.

The DX100 made a loud pop on startup which was loud enough to cause concern.

May 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5,504 of 14,084
So... I tried my K812 with the new DX90 2.05 yesterday... and the result was kind of unexpected. A big WOW moment for me. The transparency has improved, like another layer has been removed. I'm hearing micro-details I did not hear with 2.0 on a lot of songs I'm familiar with.

I honestly didn't expect this because with the Sig Pro, the increased resolution was kind of subtle and somewhat debatable, although I did give a slight preference for 2.05. There was some trade off between the 2.0 and 2.05 with the Sig Pro, but with the K812 the difference is much more obvious.

The K812 sounds breathtaking with 2.05. I was mesmerized last night and I confirmed it tonight. I can't seem to stop listening as I've reached a new level of transparency, digging deeper into my music than I've ever heard before.

May 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,505 of 14,084
Depends on your age and how good you can differentiate a narrow band and be sensitive to harmonics. It's not a crazy wide band the roll off deals with, it's rather narrow at both ends but way worse at the highs. Looking at the curves you linked, it's wider than the WS8740 though. Go figure but if they can keep the updated functionality and improve to me it's all good. Now we need the 64-bit USB DAC driver and we are all set! :)

Maybe,I am at the mentioned age :rolleyes:
Closing to 60...:p

I find the soundstage too wide, leaving the centre ..kind of empty...
Would be nice is stage is closer abit, just abit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back