DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 22, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #5,507 of 14,084
In the end that's all that matters. Enjoy your 50, it's a great player

May 22, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #5,510 of 14,084
Hi guys. I read from some other forum that for iems, high gain should not be used as it'll burn out the drivers.. Is that true? :O

Not sure for other iem but I am always in high gain with my jh13, tg334, er4s, 1plus2, and asg2 and none of them have any issue. There were even once where I forgot to turn down the volume from max after using lineout, I got a nasty shock by my tg334 didn't "burn".... I think the only chance a DAP/AMP can "burn" anything is when there is some kind of shorts outside of normal (even max volume) operations.

May 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #5,514 of 14,084
Just got a listen to the DX90 a few hours ago. Quite impressed. I ware comparing it with the X5 - I'll say DX90 has a cleaner, darker background, where X5 has a tighter overall presentation. I thought both compared to each other very well. DX90 is definitely better than DX50, especially on the headphone-out.

May 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #5,515 of 14,084
  Just got a listen to the DX90 a few hours ago. Quite impressed. I ware comparing it with the X5 - I'll say DX90 has a cleaner, darker background, where X5 has a tighter overall presentation. I thought both compared to each other very well. DX90 is definitely better than DX50, especially on the headphone-out.

Was it on original firmware? The latest firmware tightens the sound all round, balances the frequency response, enlarges the sound stage, fills the sound stage with a more edge to edge "liquid" presentation , rather than the intense spatial layering 3D imaging on the original firmware. I would say the latest firmware has less initial "wow" factor, but a lot more of everything else being far more natural 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #5,517 of 14,084
May 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #5,518 of 14,084
Till now I still find it hard to get the difference between high and low gain Lol... Been switching around dozens of times while I was commuting just now but heard little difference..

It's like the famous idiom "More power to ya'".

It's supposed to deliver more power for the harder to drive phones but if you use it with the same iems, you'll have to tone it down else you'll go deaf. I think your ears might have peaked resolution wise. jk :D

May 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5,519 of 14,084
It's like the famous idiom "More power to ya'".

It's supposed to deliver more power for the harder to drive phones but if you use it with the same iems, you'll have to tone it down else you'll go deaf. I think your ears might have peaked resolution wise. jk
biggrin.gif

LOL if that's true it would be the end of the road for this hobby of mine. I'd be sad but i bet my wallet would be elated 
dt880smile.png
  Went to listen again in a quiet environment and found that on a higher level of gain, various notes became more pronounced and obvious... lol having trouble finding appropriate words to describe my experience... But i definitely felt that the bass got tighter and more defined.

May 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5,520 of 14,084
I have the DX90 now for about 1 week (± 100 hours of burn-in time) and imo it's a big step up in SQ compared to the DX50 wich I have for almost a year. But.....

Since I installed fw 2.0.5 a few days ago (prefer the soundsignature & better UI) sometimes the music fades out / disappears for about 2 seconds. It happened ± 5 times now (out of the blue...) & I didn't notice this on the original fw. For now I think it's not a major issue, but I'm a little worried it will happen more frequently in the future... I read about the same issue in the (not very possitive) review of Hello1:

Also another interesting fact: you may have problems when listening music outdoors with DX90 in pocket. When I tried to do so, sound in both ears (sometimes one) was getting disappeared rather often (1 time per 15-30 seconds) and returned back. My first thought was I broke my IEM’s cord, but no, this is DAP issue. Also sound wasn’t disappearing/appearing-back instantly, it was smooth. However I never get this problem at home even when I’m shaking player in my hand. Also I never get this problem using another IEMs.
My assumption of a problem: I have 12 Ohms IEMs, player while being carried in pocket under some stress on audio jack «feels» too few resistance and «thinks» there is no headphone plugged in. So it cuts off audio jack electrical current supply for 1-2 seconds. But its only assumption, I may be wrong. However I never experienced this issue with 16 Ohms IEMs, maybe because of higher impedance, maybe because those IEMs have L-shaped jack that makes less physical stress on DAP’s audio output.

Well, I use it mostly (on HO) with Grado PS500, so low ohmage should not be the problem and it also happened when it was not in my pocket. It's not in the file itself and when I restart the player it plays flawless again.

Are there more headfiers out there who experienced this? What could cause this and would this be a software (then more people should have noticed it) or a hardware (yoho, then I'm screwed
confused_face.gif
) issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back