DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #2,521 of 14,084
They have a history of being ridiculously quick. You might even get your DX90 before you get your shipping notice.

However, I'm guessing they may have a fair few of these beasties to get out the door, so it may take slightly longer than previously.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #2,524 of 14,084

The difference in SQ between an iPod Classic (on it's own) and a DX90 is likely to be substantial, if my experience with the DX100 is anything to go by (I have owned a 5.5 and 6 generation iPod Classic and consider their SQ to be, quite frankly, bl00dy appalling).

hmmm, too many options to choose from has their downsides :D
i wonder now, why is the big almost 2 times price difference between X50 and X90.... is it 2 times better? or they just know that people are willing to pay big money so they exploit it, besides i think (based only on appearance not experience) that Ipod  has still the best user interface comparing to the new IBasso and FiiO devices all thanks to the click wheel.
but i really dont know much because all i ever had was an Ipod. does it worth to even upgrade an Ipod to a FiiO or X50 DAPS considering im using ANV3se BLOX buds? or the SQ wont be affected much? ofcourse considering the human thresh hearing at those frequencies.
Thanks. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,525 of 14,084
Any suggestions on properly burning in a DAP? Does it require headphones plugged in for a load or for any other reason or can I just plug it into power and hit play all by itself? Should the volume be turned up or down or is there any type of signal that assists? Or should I just let it burn in naturally as I listen to it?

Same here. Can anyone please make any suggestions how to do this? I'm not so sure whether this actually works but I think it is at least worth to try:D

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,526 of 14,084
Normally you would plug in a pair of headphones, set the volume a bit higher than normal listening level and then leave the unit on repeat loop on a mixed playlist for a number of hours. Apparently the DX90 comes with a cable for this purpose that you can plug in instead of some headphones.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,527 of 14,084
  This is why it is good to get your own opinion from listening. I agree with a little of the review above and have all the daps, but much I find very off. Also, and this is very important, the DX90 requires no less than a few hundred hours burn in. I don't care if you believe in burn in or not, I have heard the changes and have compared to other daps as it goes along and the burn in is real and significant, to my ears. 

X5 sounded a bit souped up to me. Not especially neutral. While informative enough, I think some are confusing a lower treble prominence with extra detail and it's extra warmth with natural. To me, neutral and natural are synonymous. Extra warmth doesn't happen in nature. Neutral means same balance as occurred at recording. You can be neutral without a full harmonic structure so it's not the end all but neutral with correct harmonics and contrast is what sounds natural to me. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,528 of 14,084
Normally you would plug in a pair of headphones, set the volume a bit higher than normal listening level and then leave the unit on repeat loop on a mixed playlist for a number of hours. Apparently the DX90 comes with a cable for this purpose that you can plug in instead of some headphones.

Load will help the amp stage and PS section breakin faster but other sections wont be affected by load. It's always better for the last stage to see a load when running.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,529 of 14,084
  hmmm, too many options to choose from has their downsides :D
i wonder now, why is the big almost 2 times price difference between X50 and X90.... is it 2 times better? or they just know that people are willing to pay big money so they exploit it, besides i think (based only on appearance not experience) that Ipod  has still the best user interface comparing to the new IBasso and FiiO devices all thanks to the click wheel.
but i really dont know much because all i ever had was an Ipod. does it worth to even upgrade an Ipod to a FiiO or X50 DAPS considering im using ANV3se BLOX buds? or the SQ wont be affected much? ofcourse considering the human thresh hearing at those frequencies.
Thanks. 

No not 2 times better, I expect it to be 2.5784 times better 
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #2,530 of 14,084

+1

It's not rocket science guys. Just leave it playing music for a few days (headphone connected). But don't be surprised if it sounds pretty good out of the box anyway.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #2,532 of 14,084
So if you suggest to plug the headphones then what is the purpose of this burn-in cable?

I assume to be used instead of headphones. It is the first time I have ever heard of a burnin cable but I assume it emulates the load of a headphone. The main advantage I can see using this cable is that the burnin will be silent

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #2,534 of 14,084
As certainly many of you, I'm deciding between the FiiO X5 and the iBasso DX90.
My portable headphone right now is the Shure SE846, a 9ohm impedance phone that needs low output impedance on the dap and a lot of current, not much load needed.
Both the X5 and the DX90 have less then 1ohm impedance, thats good. But how about the output current? Is the output stage comparable to a headphone amp made for iems, like the slim?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #2,535 of 14,084
Interesting news my X5 will arrive on Monday or Tuesday (according to Head-Direct). This is funny because I placed my order like yesterday. Haha. I guess I'll have somthing to occupy my time while waiting for the DX90

Btw, I just went saw some clips on YouTube about how to work the DX50 UI. Looks pretty straight forward the the response is fairly snappy too. I'm thinking with the dual core CPU, the DX90 will be pretty darn nice in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back