DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,553 of 14,084
  I think Chinese guy is measuring the maximum voltage and power output that hits the THD 1% mark, not what maximum it's capable of.

Academic.  They are all solid state.  When you hit that 1% mark distortion tends to already be vertical and clipping hard.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,556 of 14,084

Academic.  They are all solid state.  When you hit that 1% mark distortion tends to already be vertical and clipping hard.

Gotcha, so for SS, distortion just hits off at a certain voltage.  Sounds like distortion is at the mark of maximum swing at the output for given load value.

This is good stuff, which means if distortion goes up significantly at certain point, it's audible without a doubt and it is the maximum voltage output.

Can you link me where you got this?

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #2,557 of 14,084
OK, thanks guys. Let's see if we will get a tracking number tomorrow.
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,559 of 14,084
So this means, that the Chinese guys measurements were basically max output voltages at 32 ohms.  X3 and X5 is outputs more, we know that for sure.

So for SS, 1% THD is where it would clip and therefore maximum.

Also, this means maximum varies per load value.  Edit: But not the output voltage for DX90 since it has such a low output impedance.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,563 of 14,084
Just to add, maximum voltage varying per load should not be much since DX90 has such a low output impedance.  For example, if you have a high output impedance and you use a low impedance headphones, you will get much less voltage than much greater impedance headphones.

Also the high output impedance lower the power output to the load.

Also for those folks with BA iems or customs with multiple BA drivers.  Keep in mind of the crossovers, which the high output impedance would affect since crossovers have resistors in them.  this will change the filter, and mess up what frequency range each driver would output.  Moral of the story is, DX90 has very small output impedance, so it's good for multiple BA iems.
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2,564 of 14,084
High gain is always useless for modern pop recordings.  Where it is useful is for music/media with a low average level and momentary spikes like classical.  That and for people who like to have the impression that because the volume is set a small number that there is huge headroom remaining /facepalm

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #2,565 of 14,084
  I've used the LCD-3 and DX50 atleast to 2.5V and I don't hear clipping (supposely the DX50 reaches THD+N at 1.6V ) I feel that I'm listening to noise more than music.

That's 110dB by the way :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back