DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #211 of 14,084
  But no expansion for memory and nowhere to go when it's full. I'm afraid that makes it a bit of a dead end for me...

Nonetheless, in the current market the Sony is actually a market leader in memory amount, the max any DAP can currently have is 128gb whether it has Micro SD or not, as even devices with a Micro SD card are limited seeing as the largest Micro SD is currently 64gb, and most slim DAPs usually only come with 8-32gb of memory in built. Also 128gb Micro SD cards are not exactly right around the corner, only a few months ago Sandisk spokesperson said “for microSD, from a technology perspective, the maximum that can be done at this point is 64GB, purely because of the form factor. 128GB is certainly something we’re working on, and that the technology needed to produce 128GB phones will “absolutely” be readily available within the next two years."

So its going to be at least another year before we get 128gb Micro SD, and who knows what monstrous DAPs will be out by then!

Allow me to introduce you to my motto:

Buy the best and only cry once.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my CIEMs.

I LOLed hard at the last line ha :p We are never really satisfied eh, even if we have the best, we still dream of better!

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #212 of 14,084
  I doubt you will see or feel any difference as a DAP only application. In a smartphone/multi-function device more memory makes sense. But that would unnecessarily increase BOM without tangible benefit in a DAP.
I'm also convinced that a dual-core processor is not necessary. In a very specific application like a DAP only device, I'd rather have them use a low power, good enough processor/SOC and strip the firmware/OS of unnecessary code and make it lean and light so it runs fast.
Throwing in multi-core processor is just overkill and encouraging their programmers to be lazy with their code

Now only if ZX1 has SD card support, removable battery. Not to mention the price. I have not seen nor hear ZX1 yet but it's not actually small (Ok I'm nitpicking
tongue_smile.gif
)

I will defintely visit a Sony store when it becomes available here.

ur points are pretty valid but u are missing a very very important point here

it runs on android 4.1

and try running android on a single core device having such screen with ram of 1 gb,,,u will get ur answer.
the dual core with a decent ram is only for android,had they used an interface like older walkman models i agree this ws an overkill.

but they went with android

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #213 of 14,084

Nonetheless, in the current market the Sony is actually a market leader in memory amount, the max any DAP can currently have is 128gb whether it has Micro SD or not, as even devices with a Micro SD card are limited seeing as the largest Micro SD is currently 64gb, and most slim DAPs usually only come with 8-32gb of memory in built. Also 128gb Micro SD cards are not exactly right around the corner, only a few months ago Sandisk spokesperson said “for microSD, from a technology perspective, the maximum that can be done at this point is 64GB, purely because of the form factor. 128GB is certainly something we’re working on, and that the technology needed to produce 128GB phones will “absolutely” be readily available within the next two years."

So its going to be at least another year before we get 128gb Micro SD, and who knows what monstrous DAPs will be out by then!

Whilst I agree that it's the maximum amount at any instant in time, I have 128GB on my DX-100 and another 128GB in my case. I don't like having to swap cards, the micro SD cards are fiddly to handle on trains (UK trains are not very smooth...) and the DX-100 is far from instant when it comes to scanning a new card, but at least I can carry more of my music without having to reconnect to a computer.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #214 of 14,084
   but at least I can carry more of my music without having to reconnect to a computer.

ah fair point, I had completely forgot about memory card switching ability, probably because I would never do it, I would be far to prone to losing the damn tiny things :p But then again, after owning a DX50 Which had annoying wait times for memory card reading, and also horrendously slow inbuilt memory interface, I personally welcome and love the Sony's 128gb even if that's its limit, I'm one of those strange people who actually doesn't like carrying their whole music collection around all the time, but simply tailoring the selection of music on my dap from time to time to suit my mood etc, so I never have to search through half my music collection all the time to get to what I want! (I often forget song names so I can't just insta search, so I manually look through my songs usually)

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #215 of 14,084
Allow me to introduce you to my motto:

Buy the best and only cry once.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my CIEMs.

You have no idea how many times I cried buying the best, it's a repeat.

I think the best is to wait, compare and take some decisions;

Buy or wait some more, the big advantage with this method is your wallet might have a chance to recover. :D

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #216 of 14,084
You have no idea how many times I cried buying the best, it's a repeat.

I think the best is to wait, compare and take some decisions;

Buy or wait some more, the big advantage with this method is your wallet might have a chance to recover.
biggrin.gif

That is the eternal dilemma with any sort of tech purchase as the Next Big Thing is always right around the corner 
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #218 of 14,084
  That is the eternal dilemma with any sort of tech purchase as the Next Big Thing is always right around the corner 
wink.gif

I'm thankful the next big thing in PC is somewhat over. I remember back in the day when every 3 months or so I am upgrading something inside my PC.

Now the same thing is happening in audio.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #219 of 14,084

ah fair point, I had completely forgot about memory card switching ability, probably because I would never do it, I would be far to prone to losing the damn tiny things :p But then again, after owning a DX50 Which had annoying wait times for memory card reading, and also horrendously slow inbuilt memory interface, I personally welcome and love the Sony's 128gb even if that's its limit, I'm one of those strange people who actually doesn't like carrying their whole music collection around all the time, but simply tailoring the selection of music on my dap from time to time to suit my mood etc, so I never have to search through half my music collection all the time to get to what I want! (I often forget song names so I can't just insta search, so I manually look through my songs usually)

Amazingly I've only ever lost one memory card whilst out and about, I completely agree it's a pain to have to change, but before I went hi res I could get my entire collection on 64GB with space to spare...

I did drop an entire DAP (I think it was my Cowon J3) on the line whilst leaving my train once, but the lovely folk at London Underground recovered it for me and it was fine...

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #220 of 14,084

The DX50 scanning speed has become really quite good since FW 1.2.6 (with the 1.2.6 appearing to me to be a bit faster than 1.2.7)… both definitely very usable, IMHO, and it makes card switching a feasible and interesting option… Now, with the DX100 we are not yet there (still IMHO, of course
smile.gif
 )

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #221 of 14,084
wink.gif

Here I am with my J3, which I do still like, and then the X3 is released....seems cool, maybe I'll check it out - it could be the next step up and then BOOM! Hello, DX50. Oh, this is getting interesting...I wonder which is better? Let's see what happens when the firmware bugs get ironed out....POW! X5 to be released and it's within my price range! Now I have to wait to find out if that's the next dap for me or not....BURRRP! DX90.

Aw, heck. I almost want to give up and just live with my J3 until it croaks. I'm guessing somebody else will try to outflank both the DX90 and X5 and release something else that seems like THE ONE. It's tough to have patience, I tell ya. I signed up for the X5 tour, but I have no idea if I'll make the cut....anyways, I wish I could justify the ZX-1 - it ticks all the boxes for me. However, I'm pretty sure that I can at best buy a mid-tier dap and live to tell about it. My wife does love my Mad Dogs, though - she was real impressed by some Eva Cassidy last night (though it's a touch sibilant).

Sorry for this OT babbling, but I am sympatico with what Sorensiim just wrote.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #222 of 14,084

Here I am with my J3, which I do still like, and then the X3 is released....seems cool, maybe I'll check it out - it could be the next step up and then BOOM! Hello, DX50. Oh, this is getting interesting...I wonder which is better? Let's see what happens when the firmware bugs get ironed out....POW! X5 to be released and it's within my price range! Now I have to wait to find out if that's the next dap for me or not....BURRRP! DX90.

Aw, heck. I almost want to give up and just live with my J3 until it croaks. I'm guessing somebody else will try to outflank both the DX90 and X5 and release something else that seems like THE ONE. It's tough to have patience, I tell ya. I signed up for the X5 tour, but I have no idea if I'll make the cut....anyways, I wish I could justify the ZX-1 - it ticks all the boxes for me. However, I'm pretty sure that I can at best buy a mid-tier dap and live to tell about it. My wife does love my Mad Dogs, though - she was real impressed by some Eva Cassidy last night (though it's a touch sibilant).

Sorry for this OT babbling, but I am sympatico with what Sorensiim just wrote.

You reminded me of one of my best pal... he recommended me the J3 at the beginning as I was crying for a DAP that can play flac... he then told me about AK100 since I started to accumulate a a high res collection... at this very moment, he is still deciding between DX50 and X3. I think I will give him my modded X3 soon since there will be better DAP to come. As an owner of both Mad Dog and J3, I think you will immediate find improvement from using a DAP with higher power output...

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #223 of 14,084

I'm thankful the next big thing in PC is somewhat over. I remember back in the day when every 3 months or so I am upgrading something inside my PC.

Now the same thing is happening in audio.

It is still happening but the pace has somewhat slowed down, now you are talking about 6 months to a year before the fastest and best PC comes out, look at SSD drives now, that was/is the rage but larger capacity is still too costly.

It goes without saying that the one who is patient, will be the richest man among others. It is people like us that spends sizable amount of money on gears that will be eventually poor.
biggrin.gif

I think we have our cake and eat it too! I find that by establishing a gear budget that kind put a stop to how far I can go buying new equipment, my rules are simple: fix amount of money which can only be replenished  by either selling some old gears or making money from a hobby. Other than that, that's it. So that makes me become patient and only spend the amount of money where my budget can take it and I feel I still have some cash left for other items, else sell or hobby cause if I reach the bottom, I won't be happy!
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #224 of 14,084
LOL...I do the same thing. Audio gear is only purchased using my PayPal, and that is only funded by selling old gear, records or whatever else I feel can be "thrown overboard". It's kept my marriage happy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back