DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,411 of 3,609
Great price! :D

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,413 of 3,609
Hahaha... I emailed them earlier today as I really couldn't stand the suspense anymore...

Finally everyone here has something concrete to discuss further...

Very happy with the price!
All that's left for us to know is the sound quality for the price. Hopefully they'll send a demo unit to someone who can give us an impression of how it compared to other DAPs.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,414 of 3,609
Quote:
yeah, but usually the cameras with best specs do take best pics :D (and no, more pixels doesn't mean more quality, I know that)

thanks for the clarification about the voltage sing thing. so do you know how it would translate in to output in milliwatt? 

That would depends on their setting on low/mid/high gain as even at high gain it would use the full max swing.  Actual output also depends on the load.  Different vendors may quote output with different load so it's rather meaningless to compare specs straight-up.  And no, scenes with better light makes better picture, and better photographer would manage either the artificial or natural light better, camera specs are so overrated.  LOL it's like saying the best spec'ed recorder will produce the best music. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,416 of 3,609
Quote:
Wonderful price. If it sounds good (mini dx100 for c/iems) I am in. I hope Eu region can get some nice prices too.

Now we need someone to get both this and the X3 and have a proper shootout....

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,417 of 3,609
Good news on the price & release date.  Buying both the X3 & DX50 will be cheaper than the AK100.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,418 of 3,609
Time to cancel the x3

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,419 of 3,609
Wonderful price indeed, but does this bode well for its sound?  Do we think iBasso price it lower than it could to get market share?  Or are they thinking its overall performance is significantly below that of AK100?  
confused.gif

Can't wait for some reports/impressions.....

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,421 of 3,609
Now we need someone to get both this and the X3 and have a proper shootout....

Now we need someone to get both this and the X5 and have a proper shootout.... 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Wonderful price indeed, but does this bode well for its sound?  Do we think iBasso price it lower than it could to get market share?  Or are they thinking its overall performance is significantly below that of AK100?  
confused.gif

Can't wait for some reports/impressions.....

Price of the AK100 is irrelevant, since the AK100 price is so artificially contrived.

iBasso and Fiio pricing is (relatively) 'real'.

I'm pleased the DX50 price is so reasonable for potential buyers, but I'm also a bit disappointed that it is so cheap. NOT because I want them to articificially charge more for it, but because I was hoping it would be a higher-end product that would GENUINELY command something higher than $270.

What I mean is that I trust iBasso to charge 'real' / fair prices, but I was hoping for a circa $450 DAP that would provide 90% of uber-DAP performance for half the money. And that's not as absurd as it seems - why? Because some of the uber-DAPs are shamefully overpriced, that's why.

I was anticipating that the DX50 might compete with the forthcoming Fiio X5, but it seems it may be pitched slightly higher than the X3, but lower than the X5 (in terms of performance, I mean, not price).

Still, I remain interested in seeing how the DX50 performs. I still really respect the DX100 so iBasso deserve my attention. iBasso have shown that they can design some great amp stages so, overall, the DX50 might punch somewhat above its price-point.

....and.... on the plus-side, the pricing of the DX50 does rather leave the door wide-open for a serious DX100 replacement to eventually join the iBasso stable. I don't foresee a DX150 / DX200 happening until after the X5 is on the market, though, and I suspect the X5 won't hit the market until early(-ish) 2014.

Also, although the DAC chip isn't everything, and although the ES9018-2m is not as well-spec'ed as the desktop ES9018 chip, I do anticipate the ES9018-2m nonetheless being a hot commodity in the mid-high and high-end DAP arena, and it remains to be seen how long it takes for the ES9018-2m chip to penetrate the market in its own right, as a component, let alone how long it takes vendors to actually implement the chip into their DAP designs (though much design work is of course possible prior to actual release of the chip).

Interesting times in the world of decent DAPs!

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,423 of 3,609
Price of the AK100 is irrelevant, since the AK100 price is so artificially contrived.
I'm pleased the DX50 price is so reasonable for potential buyers, but I'm also a bit disappointed that it is so cheap. NOT because I want them to articificially charge more for it, but because I was hoping it would be a higher-end product that would GENUINELY command something higher than $270.

I am thinking the same here.  Was looking forward for a mid price top performer.  

Price of AK100, as contrived as it would be, is a good market indicator of product positioning.  I also agree iBasso/Fiio prices are more "real" but to price it at this level doesn't bode well for iBasso's own assessment of how it would stack up against the AK100's overall performance including sound, UI, form factor, finishing etc.  I still would expect it to sound better than AK100, but may not be significantly better such that iBasso is pricing it at this level.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,424 of 3,609
As long as it sounds better than the x3 and hopefully better than x5.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,425 of 3,609
extremely happy to see that iBasso is offering at this affordable price. hope it sounds better than the X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back