DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 29, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #1,381 of 3,609
Then how do I know if the Colorfly C3 or the DX50 will sound better...?

Jul 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #1,382 of 3,609
lol is that real? Guess this song was made for the C3 :p

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #1,384 of 3,609
Quote:

One from your personal tape collection, there, Lee? 
tongue.gif

I actually have their album. But that song made me laugh. You know when you hear songs when you're young and get them stuck in your head? That's one of my favorite aspects of this hobby. Rediscovering music from yesteryear :p.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,385 of 3,609
Quote:

I emailed them about that.

They said they're working on it.

I said What it says June 2012 and I've been anticipating it?

They apologized.

There's a LOT of new ES9018's now in 2013 so no one cares, for example there's a dual-mono ES9018 on ebay by "LKS Audio" which looks really nice.

Fiio said they'll no longer be using Wolfson WM8740, they're moving on to PCM1794 or CS4398.  Every single iBasso product already uses the WM8740 - why the %%%% do we need yet another.

The huge success of the DX100 was due in part to the ESS ES9018, Hifiman got really crazy at them on the Chinese internet and started developing their own ES9018.

Now iBasso is making a thirtieth installment of the WM8740 chip, since if they released a $400 ES9018 DAP in a slimmer package, the DX100 would likely become discontinued.  Politics.

Sincerely,

Not Interested

That's why it needs to be cheap. because let's b real - everyone here, deep inside their hearts would rather have the top specs on his/her audio gear, than top sound from a mediocre one...

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,386 of 3,609
That's why it needs to be cheap. because let's b real - everyone here, deep inside their hearts would rather have the top specs on his/her audio gear, than top sound from a mediocre one...

You rather have top specs than top sound? Hmm

I could care less what dac they used as long as it sounds great.

The Tera player has a philips dac (I think) and it sounds great

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,387 of 3,609
Quote:

Rather have top specs than top sound from mediocre? That makes no sense. If the "mediocre specs" unit sounded better, than I think most of us here would prefer that.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,388 of 3,609
You all know what I meant :) sound is very subjective, whereas the hardware used in the gear is as apparent as it can get. anyways, before someone accuses me of trolling, let's change the subject - the specs on the DX50 pic says it uses 9V volatage swing amp. what is that? and how will it compare to the one that fiio usesin the x3 specs wise? 

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,389 of 3,609
As an average consumer, I would buy this if the line output is better than X3's since the market is not short of quality portable amp. I can only tell after having demo this with my own setup.

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,390 of 3,609
Quote:
You rather have top specs than top sound? Hmm

I could care less what dac they used as long as it sounds great.

The Tera player has a philips dac (I think) and it sounds great

Technically you can argue the philips DAC has better specs than others... in specific areas such as impulse response... same story with the Hifiman HM-801 and Monster Audio MA9, they all adhere to the non-oversampling family of chips, which modern chips like AK4399 attempt to completely supersede, yet can't fully.

Specs usually equal great sound... now if the great sound is being measured - or can be measured - is another story.  The specs you get from Rightmark Audio Analyzer are totally useless, but the part numbers, capacitors and resistors inside the DAP count.  They also show if the manufacturer is cutting corners with 10 cent pieces or not, why have 10 cent pieces inside a $250 DAP?  I think each piece should at least be high quality and cost $5 hehe. =)

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,391 of 3,609
Quote:

Technically you can argue the philips DAC has better specs than others... in specific areas such as impulse response... same story with the Hifiman HM-801 and Monster Audio MA9, they all adhere to the non-oversampling family of chips, which modern chips like AK4399 attempt to completely supersede, yet can't fully.

Specs usually equal great sound... now if the great sound is being measured - or can be measured - is another story.  The specs you get from Rightmark Audio Analyzer are totally useless, but the part numbers, capacitors and resistors inside the DAP count.  They also show if the manufacturer is cutting corners with 10 cent pieces or not, why have 10 cent pieces inside a $250 DAP?  I think each piece should at least be high quality and cost $5 hehe. =)

By your logic, a tin bucket of ES9018 chips would outperform the DX50.

Implementation is key, but the only way to judge them is by the sound they produce 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #1,392 of 3,609
I was in this thread with a dead horse :xf_eek:

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,393 of 3,609
Yes I agree you have to listen to them since the soul of this hobby is listening.  Unless you are a collector and only put them on the shelf.

iBasso seem quite good at measuring and listening, so I respect them for that.

I don't respect them for using WM8740 for 50th time, that's all.  A lot of us already have products with that chip, if you don't think that chip has a sound, you're wrong! =)

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,394 of 3,609
You all know what I meant :) sound is very subjective, whereas the hardware used in the gear is as apparent as it can get. anyways, before someone accuses me of trolling, let's change the subject - the specs on the DX50 pic says it uses 9V volatage swing amp. what is that? and how will it compare to the one that fiio usesin the x3 specs wise? 

Thought you weren't serious re specs vs sound lol... makes me think of those who think picture quality from a 16megapixel point and shoot is better than a 12.8mp full frame dslr!

Power supply is actually a very key aspect for audio.... in simplistic terms, the voltage swing determined the max output power of the amp section. 99 times out 100, more power power provide better sound. For reference, hm901 has a 14.8V swing and Fang mentioned it was a bigger challenge to implement than the dual 9018.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,395 of 3,609
I don't understand all those people who just counts on dac chips and all. Dudes, the implementation is the only thing matters, how difficult to understand.

I honestly, don't give a s**t what chip they use, as long as it sounds good, I am in. It's simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back