DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,066 of 3,609
Quote:
Everyone is aware that the battery is replaceable?

Samsung i9300 Battery is Compatible, so getting an extended battery will be very useful.

Any S4/S3 user who can confirm if the batteries are interchangable?  I read the i9500 one is 2600mAh vs the i9300 one at 2100mAh only.  Would be neat if DX50 can use the S4 one (or S5 when it's released...) 

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,067 of 3,609
Quote:
The later the release, the more time there is to save up for it.....
biggrin.gif

+1

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,068 of 3,609
Quote:
Overall, iBasso did a worthy job with the DX100. That gives them credibility, in my eyes, and earns them my patience in relation to the development & release of the DX50.

It seems quite a few people in this thread have extremely short memories, blinkered vision, or perhaps both.

Even not taking the venerable DX100 into account, it's still only the beginning of July, so iBasso are hardly taking liberties with the DX50 release date. I'm anticipating it towards end of 2013, and I'm not going to moan during the interim. They know what they're doing; the DX100 showed us that, so if there's a delay in releasing the DX50 I trust iBasso that it is for a legitimate reason.

The irony of this delay, for the moaners out there, is that even if iBasso released the DX50 tomorrow, they'd still moan about the firmware being not sufficiently polished, or the X5 being on the horizon.

If the DX50 doesn't materialize before 2014, then maybe I'll become unsettled, but for the remainder of 2013, I'm willing to sit patiently and wait.

...and a big +1 to you, sir. Although I happen to be wildly impatient on a personal level, I intellectually agree with everything you've said, and would love to be able to internalize this mindset on a day-to-day basis. Maybe there's a reason you've got a Buddha in your avatar :wink:

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #1,069 of 3,609
Quote:
Everyone is aware that the battery is replaceable?

Samsung i9300 Battery is Compatible, so getting an extended battery will be very useful.

Indeed. A very smart move on ibasso's part i would say.

Potentially, the DX50 could be quite the marathon champion in shelf life with changeable battery option.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,070 of 3,609
Quote:

Indeed. A very smart move on ibasso's part i would say.

Potentially, the DX50 could be quite the marathon champion in shelf life with changeable battery option.

It's funny - I debated this issue with James (Fiio CEO) in the X5 thread (

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/240#post_9462772

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/285#post_9469299

), and he is adamant that 'everyone' these days is happy to carry around a USB powerbank, so he is determined to not implement swappable battery on the X5. I will concede that the capacity of the X5's proposed internal battery is substantially more than the DX50's Samsung phone battery, but nevertheless, I really, really like the option to instantly swap a battery and continue listening. This is also lighter than a USB powerbank battery.

But every vendor has a different philosophy and variety is the spice of life, etc. etc.

I think the DX50 and the X5 will probably both be great DAPs, but the DX50 will certainly steal quite a few sales specifically for users who want battery swapping on-the-go.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,071 of 3,609
Quote:

It's funny - I debated this issue with James (Fiio CEO) in the X5 thread (

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/240#post_9462772

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/285#post_9469299

), and he is adamant that 'everyone' these days is happy to carry around a USB powerbank, so he is determined to not implement swappable battery on the X5. I will concede that the capacity of the X5's proposed internal battery is substantially more than the DX50's Samsung phone battery, but nevertheless, I really, really like the option to instantly swap a battery and continue listening. This is also lighter than a USB powerbank battery.

But every vendor has a different philosophy and variety is the spice of life, etc. etc.

I think the DX50 and the X5 will probably both be great DAPs, but the DX50 will certainly steal quite a few sales specifically for users who want battery swapping on-the-go.

Quite interesting debate there.
smile.gif

Personally, it's more to do with how handphone makers are making their phones. It's quite a chore to change batteries for most of today's designs and a USB powerbank makes it convenient to just poke and charge. No damaged manicure for the ladies too.
smile.gif

For portable music wise, i feel if my music gets cut off suddenly without juice, i'd frantically grab the nearest thing to bring it back on.
And since most of us audiophiles probably carry a stack/brick/theBIGmac whatever it is called, won't want another extra weight like a USB powerbank added to the bag. I'd go for swappable batteries any day. Provided the battery cover doesn't require Samson's strength to pry open.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,073 of 3,609
Quote:

For portable music wise, i feel if my music gets cut off suddenly without juice, i'd frantically grab the nearest thing to bring it back on.

Whenever my DX100 is out of battery when I'm on street, I just switch back to my old days iPhone music, but it's like you're having a cup of cappuccino and suddenly you found yourself having the tap water. So recently i do get a brand new Energizer XP8000 at $90 to solve the problem and I believe it could also serve the DX50 as well, if it's also by my side in the future.

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,074 of 3,609
Quote:
Whenever my DX100 is out of battery when I'm on street, I just switch back to my old days iPhone music, but it's like you're having a cup of cappuccino and suddenly you found yourself having the tap water. So recently i do get a brand new Energizer XP8000 at $90 to solve the problem and I believe it could also serve the DX50 as well, if it's also by my side in the future.

Do you find you can charge the DX100 OK whilst using it? I had the DX100 and as I recall, it plays just fine whilst it is being charged.

However, I did not receive a satisfactory answer from James when I asked him about using the X5 whilst charging from a powerbank:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-6-24-13-in-1st-post/660#post_9554782

We will have to wait and see how the DX50 behaves when being charges at the same time as playing. If the DX100 is anything to go by, the DX50 should be OK for that, but it'll be a moot point for me, since I much prefer to just carry a spare DX50 battery rather than charge the DX50 from a powerbank.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #1,077 of 3,609
The way iBasso are not giving any price estimate is worrying. Makes me think DX50 might be expensive and they're deliberately not saying anything to not turn potential buyers away. The price will need to competitive especially with FiiO X3 (which I'm not really interest in) looking over the fence to anyone who finds the DX asking price too much.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #1,078 of 3,609
Quote:
The way iBasso are not giving any price estimate is worrying. Makes me think DX50 might be expensive and they're deliberately not saying anything to not turn potential buyers away. The price will need to competitive especially with FiiO X3 (which I'm not really interest in) looking over the fence to anyone who finds the DX asking price too much.

I don't agree that the DX50 needs to be competitive with the X3. The AK100 isn't and if the DX50 sounds as good or better then you are talking about a DAP that competes with a 6 hundred dollar sac and not one in the mid to lower 2 hundreds. But, time will tell. :^)

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,079 of 3,609
I don't agree that the DX50 needs to be competitive with the X3. The AK100 isn't and if the DX50 sounds as good or better then you are talking about a DAP that competes with a 6 hundred dollar sac and not one in the mid to lower 2 hundreds. But, time will tell. :^)

No, I was going to edit my post you mis read it. It should of come across as FiiO X3 looking over the fence to anyone who finds DX50 too much.

Take away my bracketed section and that's how it should of come across.....

EDIT; In short I don't feel DX50 needs to compete with X3 price, but many who cannot afford the asking price of DX50 will go to X3 rather than keep saving their coins. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back