DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,851 of 3,609
Quote:
i really hope the real product doesn't look like this.. http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11537567003.html

the buttons and that area part looks very plastic'y' 
blink.gif

it's a plastic dummy - what did you expect anyway?  
rolleyes.gif

eke2k6

at least Button layout on DX50 makes sense
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,852 of 3,609
I'm actually slightly biased...Early on, I bought a cheap Fiio E5 headphone amplifier and was really unimpressed with the quality of it. It just didn't seem to do much of anything and went into the drawer to never really be used again. That kind of soured me on Fiio early on and I can't quite shake the stigma (being turned on to the Zo later on helped me warm up to headphone amplifiers). The X3 sounds good in theory, but the layout is a mess compared to the DX50. Plus hearing it is a "warm" player is offputting.

Ibasso effectively has a clean slate with me. A year ago, I almost pulled the trigger on a DX100, but balked because of the price, the heating issues reported and the sound changing in each firmware (not always for the better). For the price of the DX50, I feel its worth taking a chance on it to have a DAP with proper lineout and decent specs.

So come on, Ibasso...Impress me. I dare you. :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,853 of 3,609
Well the DX100 is audibly transparent...

Interesting concept :p

I'm surprised more people here don't care more about the UI. There is sooo much missing from the UI screens displayed on the site.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #2,855 of 3,609
Quote:
Interesting concept
tongue.gif

I'm surprised more people here don't care more about the UI. There is sooo much missing from the UI screens displayed on the site.

Like what? I was satisfied with what they showed. My main question is whether or not you can change the frequency bands around, like you can on the Cowon players. That and the overall speed. My D2 is instantaneous for the most part.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,856 of 3,609
Sure the DX50 will beat the ak100 easily and be almost on par with ak120 and dx100. This way iBasso are sure they will not sell another dx100.

Just because they are overpriced (relative notion) does not justify the hatred of ak DAPs of certain people. I have owned several top Daps and found ak DAPs to kill all others in design and ergonomics. Besides the Ak100 modded sounded close to dx100 with iems and ak120 better to my ears.

The only comparison I have read between x3 and ak100 still placed the ak100 as more refined.

Please wait to get the dx50 before placing it very close to the TOTL Daps. I am ready to applaud iBasso if it is actually that good. And to congratulate them for killing their TOTL DAP if their entry DAP is almost as good.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,857 of 3,609
I think it's more an issue of everyone's point of diminishing returns is entirely different. There's an exponential increase in price, and it is impossible to expect performance increases to be to scale. Some people scoff at a $1200 DAP, some consider it money well spent. I wouldn't dream of spending $1200 on a dap, mainly because none of my headphones come even close to that. I won't criticize anyone for buying an ak120.

As far as I see it, I'm hoping that the UI is usable; that i can navigate similarly as i do on my ipods (ie: music>artist>album>song). It sounds like it's going to have a good amp circuit, and i'm perfectly happy with a single card slot.

I'm not entirely sure why everyones so worked up about attaching a HDD. I thought the whole point of the DX50 is to minimize the footprint of the portable source equipment, what with it's external amp-like amp circuit. Doesn't it defeat the purpose if you're carrying around a delicate device attached to it?

Is there anyone with the theoretical knowledge that an answer my earlier question regarding whether the DX50/X3 would theoretically play 16/44.1 lossless flac CD rips better or worse than a macbook pro with a hifimediy asynchronous sabre (or comparable) dac playing ALAC lossless off itunes?

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,858 of 3,609
Like what? I was satisfied with what they showed. My main question is whether or not you can change the frequency bands around, like you can on the Cowon players. That and the overall speed. My D2 is instantaneous for the most part.

Yours are good questions too but more about processing and features. Which I also care about. I posted this yesterday:

I'm about a click away from ordering one. What I'd like to see is an alphabetical listing on the right of the screen for quick and somewhat accurate scrolling through files, and a mockup of the "all music" screen. Also, I know that it's just GUI mockups, but the albums aren't in alphabetical order either lol. Or at least I'm hoping it's just mockups...

There's also nothing on how to make playlists and Song/album/artist search.

In terms of features, also I wonder if it can create track separations from a one file FLAC "cd" using a playlist file like jriver media center.

Sure the DX50 will beat the ak100 easily and be almost on par with ak120 and dx100. This way iBasso are sure they will not sell another dx100.

Nah, the DX100 has exotic factor with the ES9018.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,859 of 3,609
Quote:
I've not been able to get my clip zip to work with the 64 gd card from Sandisk. Also don't really care to rockbox on a non stable build of that software. 

Thanks though...

Quote:
That's great. Still not risking bricking my device on unstable firmware. I know it's not expensive but still ...it's all I've got ATM.

Matt,
You can also look into Cowon C2/D20 players.
Plays my MP3s/WAVs/FLACs/etc. and reads microSD 64gb cards as long as you format them to FAT32.
Did I mention that they offer excellent battery life? :wink:

Personally, waiting on reviews and comparisons from some of you that already ordered!
FiiO vs iBasso... should make for an excellent battle methinks!!

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,860 of 3,609
Quote:
Is there anyone with the theoretical knowledge that an answer my earlier question regarding whether the DX50/X3 would theoretically play 16/44.1 lossless flac CD rips better or worse than a macbook pro with a hifimediy asynchronous sabre (or comparable) dac playing ALAC lossless off itunes?

Well, purely as a DAC the hifimediy is great but it is just a DAC and is designed to be used with an amp, so if you're using it on its own then it will be lacking power. Now, if you pair it with a decent amp like an O2 for instance then it will be the superior rig. And the overall price will still be lower than the dx50. You should take into consideration that desktop rigs will always have better price to performance ratio coz it is hard to engineer a portable DAP that has all these features like good DAC, amp, screen, software, memory etc. and to have all good battery life and be as small as possible. Also, audiophile DAPs are niche products, so the price rises thus stuff like the ak120 has such a price tag coz for 1300 bucks I'm pretty sure there are a ton of desktop rig combos that will destroy it. Of course, you can't put a desktop rig in your pocket and walk around with it but if you're not listening that much on the go then you should better invest in a better desktop rig.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,861 of 3,609
Quote:
I've not been able to get my clip zip to work with the 64 gd card from Sandisk. Also don't really care to rockbox on a non stable build of that software. 

Thanks though...

Matt,

Sorry, but you're out-of-date....

The Clip Zip is a supported device with the Stable Release 3.13 as of 3/5/13    Ref: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes313

Personally I have been using SanDisk 64GB MicroSD cards in my Clip for a least a year with no problems.

You really should stay up-to-date with Rockbox otherwise you'll get lost in the past which would be sad ;-(

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,863 of 3,609
Thanks for the response, that's what i was wondering. I have a JDS C421 amp, and i was thinking about just getting the hifimediy asynchronous U2 dac ($54) and re-ripping some of my favorite albums to my macbook in apple lossless - while continuing to use my iphone as my portable source. that or get the DX50/X3, and re-rip my favorite albums into FLAC lossless (which i believe the highest is 16/44.1 off a CD) and filling the DX50 with my favorite music for portable or desk use.

To me on paper, both the sabre and the DX50s WM8740 should do the lossless CD quality somewhat equally but i know that may not be the case. If it is, then it's just the matter of FLAC vs ALAC, and C421 vs the amp on the DX50, and the portable's UI vs the very useable iTunes.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,864 of 3,609
Quote:
Thanks for the response, that's what i was wondering. I have a JDS C421 amp, and i was thinking about just getting the hifimediy asynchronous U2 dac ($54) and re-ripping some of my favorite albums to my macbook in apple lossless - while continuing to use my iphone as my portable source. that or get the DX50/X3, and re-rip my favorite albums into FLAC lossless (which i believe the highest is 16/44.1 off a CD) and filling the DX50 with my favorite music for portable or desk use.

To me on paper, both the sabre and the DX50s WM8740 should do the lossless CD quality somewhat equally but i know that may not be the case. If it is, then it's just the matter of FLAC vs ALAC, and C421 vs the amp on the DX50, and the portable's UI vs the very useable iTunes.

Well, different DACs can sound different - wolfsons are usually a bit on the warm side while the sabre is more neutral. And yeah, I'm willing to bet money that the c421 is superior to the amp sections of both x3 and dx50 coz it is a dedicated amp and not an all-in-one device.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,865 of 3,609
Did anyone notice when comparing the pics of the first page of this thread and the picture on the ibasso preorder page, that there is only one headphone out on the ibasso preorder page and on the concept pics there is headphone out and line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back