DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #2,612 of 3,609
Tell me about it.....
As long as this thread does not derail to lossless vs lossy, 24 vs 16 bit, idevice vs audiophile debates, it may actually be barely bearable.. Or i may end up pull out the little hair left on my head LoL

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,613 of 3,609
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #2,614 of 3,609
Plus they have them available for a good price in the 128gb variety.

I can see having a case of sticks with music collection on the go :)

I wonder if a USB sdxc/sdhc card reader would work on that for those having those cards availablle hmmm...

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #2,615 of 3,609
It always bugs me when that comes up in a HiDef player thread.

It will be the normal course of events where a few of the early recipients will claim it as good as anything when Ibasso themselves says that it isn't. In a month or so, there will be mods that will have others claiming it's now a silk purse and the best thing ever made etc, etc. 

I suspect it will be preferred to the x3 as Ibasso have had that target in hand. Might be part of the delay. It's just nice to have things like this coming out.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #2,617 of 3,609
Well the obvious advantages of the DX50 over the X3 are:

1 - touchscreen interface, which makes it easier for the user to scroll through lots of music. doing that with physical buttons can be a bit tedious.
2 - better screen quality - it having ips technology is a big plus in sunlight...
3 - better layout of physical buttons - much more intuitive compared to the "slanted" style on the x3, not to mention dedicated volume buttons (even this one is a deciding factor for me personally)
4 - usb OTG function which should at least be able to connect to NAND Flash drives (be it usb thumb drives or external ssd) or if the power supplied is good enough - to the external HDD, which to be honest, is a really big plus for some. 
5 - replaceable batteries - this in my opinion, is a pretty good move. I've read James fiios opinion on replacable batteries in the X5 thread and he said that power banks are way to go. for me personally, I'd rather carry an external storage and tiny pre-charged batteries, rather than a power bank AND external storage... YMMV...
6 - I'm not entirely sure about this one and I apologize in advance if this turns out to not be true, but the AMP section should be more powerful on DX50 compared to the X3.

we can only speculate on the rest until someone has both and does an exhaustive comparison...

I don't have any of them and I like both, but as of right now, I would choose DX50 over the X3.

Thanks for this comparison!

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,618 of 3,609
Quote:
I predict it will work!

+1! As far as the device is concerned, it makes no difference if you plug in a card reader and a SD card or if you plug in a USB key. Storage is storage.

I'm sorta considering a "desktop dock" where you would plug the DX50 into a micro-usb Y-split cable. This would then be connected to a 2A charger AND a high-capacity, externally powered USB hardddrive. Then by connecting one cable, you would have your entire music collection available and be charging your DX50 so it's ready to go when you leave your desk, carrying your favorite 64+8gb of music with you. For work desk listeners like me, that could be the ultimate setup 
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #2,619 of 3,609
I'm sorry I haven't kept up very much with this thread. Guess that I've missed the first batch. 
size]

With regards to the use of a flash drive with the dx50, are you talking about using a cable like this...

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,621 of 3,609
+1! As far as the device is concerned, it makes no difference if you plug in a card reader and a SD card or if you plug in a USB key. Storage is storage.

I'm sorta considering a "desktop dock" where you would plug the DX50 into a micro-usb Y-split cable. This would then be connected to a 2A charger AND a high-capacity, externally powered USB hardddrive. Then by connecting one cable, you would have your entire music collection available and be charging your DX50 so it's ready to go when you leave your desk, carrying your favorite 64+8gb of music with you. For work desk listeners like me, that could be the ultimate setup 
smile.gif

Would this idea work with the DX100 too?

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #2,625 of 3,609
Quote:
Would this idea work with the DX100 too?

No, the DX100 does not charge via USB and I'm not sure about USB OTG support either. But I do have a rooted DX100 on my desk, an OTG cable in my bag and some spare usb keys lying around. If only wifi worked, I would be able to install the USB OTG control apps needed to test this 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back