DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #1,486 of 3,609
Is that so? Well, I don't think so.

My Rockboxed iPod 5.5G Video (from 2006) will play for about 20 hours, if I am not lighting up the screen and messing about with it.

Yes I do think so. That's rated with screen off without touching the controls ever. For the average user who plays with the controls and has normal LCD brightness... 8-12 hours is normal.

It's all depends on how often you play with the device.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,487 of 3,609
Quote:
Yes I do think so. That's rated with screen off without touching the controls ever. For the average user who plays with the controls and has normal LCD brightness... 8-12 hours is normal.

It's all depends on how often you play with the device.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous — from 36-40 hrs down to 8-12 hrs... yeah, right. I've been using iPods (Classic, Nano & Touch) for over 10 years and your "all depends on how often you play with the device" claim is waaaay off the mark.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,488 of 3,609
Quote:
Ipods last from 8-12. So 10 is right. What were you expecting a full day of playback?

Teke, that's strange...maybe the iPod Touches, but I currently got an iPod Nano 3rd gen from 6 years ago, and this thing still pumps out around 15+ hours of battery life.

I also have brightness on 40%, and turn the screen on fairly often to select a new song ever so often.

I use it for about 3-4 hours a night, 5 nights a week before it receives its charge.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,489 of 3,609
Waiting to see news on a Hibino R5 release :xf_eek:

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,490 of 3,609
Quote:
Teke, that's strange...maybe the iPod Touches, but I currently got an iPod Nano 3rd gen from 6 years ago, and this thing still pumps out around 15+ hours of battery life.

I also have brightness on 40%, and turn the screen on fairly often to select a new song ever so often.

I use it for about 3-4 hours a night, 5 nights a week before it receives its charge.

Although I haven't been using DAPs as much as I used to since January (now mostly using a desktop setup), I used to easily get 30+ hrs out of my 2-year-old iPod Touch (4G), with auto-brightness on and using the touch screen fairly regularly.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,491 of 3,609
Quote:

Although I haven't been using DAPs as much as I used to since January (now mostly using a desktop setup), I used to easily get 30+ hrs out of my 2-year-old iPod Touch (4G), with auto-brightness on and using the touch screen fairly regularly.

Looks like it's only Teke then! haha

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,492 of 3,609
Sorry, but that's ridiculous — from 36-40 hrs down to 8-12 hrs... yeah, right. I've been using iPods (Classic, Nano & Touch) for over 10 years and your "all depends on how often you play with the device" claim is waaaay off the mark.

Straight from apple.

And I've been using iPods for just as long. Ever use it outside? Ever try to see the screen when it's at a min brightness and when the sun is out? Dawn near impossible. Have to crank that brightness all the way up. Since it is a portable source, I assume people use it outside... where there is the sun.

So no its way off the mark. And I'm going to assume people on head-fi will use higher resolution music, which will consume more battery life.

Of course you would quote the ipod with the longest battery life.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,494 of 3,609
Quote:
Considering how people say that the ak100 is only 20% away from being as good as the dx100, I doubt that I basso will shoot them selves in the foot by making something that is better than the ak100... If they make it better than it will be 10% closer to the dx100 and if it is priced lower than the ak100 then people will just ignore the dx100 and go for the 50 instead basically destroying any form of appeal that might be associated with the dx100

Whilst you make a good point about the DX100, there is an alternative way one could look at this - profit is profit is profitTheoretically, if iBasso made the DX50 for $270 retail and outperformed the AK100, then yes, it might undermine sales of the DX100, but the DX50 would then FLY off the shelves and make a massive profit for iBasso, so they wouldn't be complaining about no DX100 sales if the DX50 was making them armfuls of cash and destroying the competition! LOL

Please note - I did say theoretically
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,495 of 3,609
Great price, nice looking device, fully competent feature set... Only thing left is the listenin'! iBasso has managed to impress a number of times in the past, and I'm hoping they can do it again here. Highly interested!

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #1,496 of 3,609
Quote:
Straight from apple.

And I've been using iPods for just as long. Ever use it outside? Ever try to see the screen when it's at a min brightness and when the sun is out? Dawn near impossible. Have to crank that brightness all the way up. Since it is a portable source, I assume people use it outside... where there is the sun.

So no its way off the mark. And I'm going to assume people on head-fi will use higher resolution music, which will consume more battery life.

I've never owned an Apple solid state device, but, as I recall, both of my iPod Classics (5.5 and 6) had terrible battery life when playing WAVs or ALACs.   Aside from poor SQ (I mean used solo, not amped or DAC'd), I've never liked Apple devices because they're invariably designed so as to sacrifice battery life at the altar of curve appeal. The only thing I do really like about Apple DAPs (especially the Classic) is the UI.

But we're all going off-topic here.

As those of you who watch the Fiio X5 thread know, I'm fine with the DX50 having only 10hr battery life, because that battery is easily available and is swappable within just a matter of seconds; I'm very happy iBasso made that design decision.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,497 of 3,609
Quote:
Straight from apple.

Right, so people always use their iPods in bright sunlight, have the screen on ALL the time with the brightness aaaall the way up. I never realised people never used their iPod in the evening, at night, on cloudy days, in a library, on a bus, train plane, etc., and that they didn't have the screen on ALL the time. Silly, silly me.

And I didn't know ALL people on HF used "higher resolution music" — of course we all know one can very easily tell the difference between 192, 256, 320kbps, WAV & Hi Res, specially when on a bus, train, plane, walking, jogging, etc.

Those evil Apple people sure know how to mislead people.

I've just realised that, after all these years, all my iPods have been fakes!! Who would have thought fake iPods would have a much, MUCH longer battery life than 8-12 hrs?

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,498 of 3,609
The earpods are the next best thing after FitEar

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,499 of 3,609
Quote:

Whilst you make a good point about the DX100, there is an alternative way one could look at this - profit is profit is profitTheoretically, if iBasso made the DX50 for $270 retail and outperformed the AK100, then yes, it might undermine sales of the DX100, but the DX50 would then FLY off the shelves and make a massive profit for iBasso, so they wouldn't be complaining about no DX100 sales if the DX50 was making them armfuls of cash and destroying the competition! LOL

Please note - I did say theoretically
wink_face.gif

I do a agree with you but don't forget the Fiio x3 and the is also giving it fierce competition plus it's touting playing any file??? 

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #1,500 of 3,609
Quote:
The earpods are the next best thing after FitEar

Not really, but the new stock Apple earbuds, the Earpods, are indeed excellent phones AND with excellent build quality, and can be had for £25 / €25 in Europe — and though still quite underrated on Head-Fi, several people on these boards—some with quite a bit of experience—actually have noted the Earpods are indeed pretty good-sounding.

Oh, but it's soooo much fun owning extremely obscure and (often) expensive gear, isn't it? That's when people really believe one is a true audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back