DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #6,496 of 10,353
How many daps are using the ROHM chip? Not many and I don't think AK is the most forward thinking except to price their products so high that people think they must be the best but that is an illusion based on cost and not total performance.
I didn't say A&K was the most forward thinking. I said that A&K was first DAP to use AKM's new 2 chip solution.
I think Ibasso and Cayin are the only 2 using the ROHM chip.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,497 of 10,353
I believe the Roon streaming technology has to be built into the device. Are Ibasso devices Roon Ready?

View this little primer by a Roon founder on YouTube referencing requirements for Roon Ready devices. Skip to 5:32.

Also visit the Roon site for more information.

It doesn't explain why Fiio M17 can play Roon Arc and Ibasso DX320 not

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #6,498 of 10,353
I believe the Roon streaming technology has to be built into the device. Are Ibasso devices Roon Ready?

View this little primer by a Roon founder on YouTube referencing requirements for Roon Ready devices. Skip to 5:32.

Also visit the Roon site for more information.

AFAIK, the only devices that are "Roon ready" are A&K. But no, the DX320 is NOT Roon ready. Having said that, I have read (either here or on the DX300 thread) of people successfully using Roon Arc. Try doing a search on one of the two threads for it?! :)

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #6,499 of 10,353
Why is Roon Arc not working on Ibasso DX320. Installation was ok, see the library but can’t play files because of “unexpected playback failure”. Fiio M17 does not have this so the problem lies with Ibasso…
I got to work, but it is buggy. I usually have to reinstall it when I get that message.

Roon and Android never work well for me.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #6,500 of 10,353
AFAIK, the only devices that are "Roon ready" are A&K. But no, the DX320 is NOT Roon ready. Having said that, I have read (either here or on the DX300 thread) of people successfully using Roon Arc. Try doing a search on one of the two threads for it?! :)
Roon for Android doesn't require Roon ready support.

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #6,501 of 10,353
I said that A&K was first DAP to use AKM's new 2 chip solution.
I think Ibasso and Cayin are the only 2 using the ROHM chip.
Yes I see that but the new issue with AKM is that:
**it is now a two chip solution = more circuit board space.
** the S/N figures are actually mono measurments to boost figure.
** higher power requirements.
** still based on "velvet sound" topology platform.
So I think I'll pass on any future AKM.

I'll stick to my gold infused ROHM chip...
😅

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #6,503 of 10,353
It doesn't explain why Fiio M17 can play Roon Arc and Ibasso DX320 not
I believe M17 still has older Android version 10.
Dx320 has version 11.
New Android versions always need apps to catch up.
Roon needs to be notified = not here, they won't know, although eventual compatability would be hoped.
Also the newer Android version has some file storage protection issues for apps.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #6,506 of 10,353
Yes I see that but the new issue with AKM is that:
**it is now a two chip solution = more circuit board space.
** the S/N figures are actually mono measurments to boost figure.
** higher power requirements.
** still based on "velvet sound" topology platform.
So I think I'll pass on any future AKM.

I'll stick to my gold infused ROHM chip...
😅
Some of ROHM's marketing is cheesy, at best, but that's beside the point. I think that it's shortsighted to dismiss AKM's newest technology without auditioning. Right now, I'd love to have the opportunity to audition the 320, the N8ii and the new SP3000. I have no dog in the fight. I'm not a fan boy of any specific chip manufacturer. I'd like to see Cirrus Logic step up their game and come out with something new. Competition tends to improve every ones product.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #6,507 of 10,353
Right, not for playback, but doesn't it if you want it to be Roon hub?
Well, yes and no.

Smartphones and computers that run Roon software/app as endpoints aren’t necessarily Roon certified. If they are, it means that it natively supports RAAT. (Not just by running Roon app) In addition, it means Roon tested said device and it passes whatever stability checks and user experience benchmarks. A Roon certified device should offer better stability and fully transparent RAAT. However, you can still achieve this with the device running Roon app. There isn’t loss of functionality.

I lump the dx320 into smartphones because it is essentially an android phone sans cellular connectivity and added well developed audio circuitry.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #6,508 of 10,353
I believe M17 still has older Android version 10.
Dx320 has version 11.
New Android versions always need apps to catch up.
Roon needs to be notified = not here, they won't know, although eventual compatability would be hoped.
Also the newer Android version has some file storage protection issues for apps.
Roon knows.

The android platform is not nor ever been their focus. Ibasso has to implement native RAAT and have device certified. I recently saw currawong posting on Roon forums asking them to “step it up”.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #6,509 of 10,353
IMG_20221002_222918.jpg

I am slowly progressing on the DX320 review.
Today I have been listening with the AMP12 and I have to say -spoiler- that the combo is AMAZING!

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #6,510 of 10,353
I think that it's shortsighted to dismiss AKM's newest technology without auditioning. Right now, I'd love to have the opportunity to audition the 320, the N8ii and the new SP3000.
You have a good point. Although I feel the 320 & N8ii have more similarities than differences (to me), so I definitely would like to hear that new SP3000, as it would display the new AKM dac chip in a portable design.
Too bad the SP3000 doesn't even have the output power of a dx300 w/amp11, on the specs sheet.

I'd like to see Cirrus Logic step up their game and come out with something new. Competition tends to improve every ones product.
Ibasso did an exceptional job to display those Cirrus chips in a topology that produced top level realism. I don't know if any other manufacturer squeezed so much performance out of Cirrus before iBasso shown their mastery. 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back