DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #6,467 of 10,347
That's what I'm getting at now that it seems that the metal itself doesn't justify the price. It's the combination of a cool, unique case, the limited number to be released, 10th anniversary stuff .... basically limited edition / collectors appeal. And that's fair enough. Lot's of companies do stuff like that for many different items.
I am leaning towards this as being the correct answer here... Collector's item = more cash. Which there is nothing wrong with, of course, I just don't think there is a tangible reason for the hike in price IMO. :)

Having said that it DOES look damned sharp, and I wouldn't be ashamed to own one at all.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #6,468 of 10,347
Ibasso DX320 Edition X has landed! 🥳20220929_132828.jpg20220929_133459.jpg20220929_134052.jpg20220929_134022.jpg20220929_133931.jpg20220929_134153.jpg20220929_134536.jpg

And the matching spare liquid metal faceplates for AMP12 and AMP13 included, now that is truly sweet!!!

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,469 of 10,347
I wasn't going to get one but had to see the case. I got it in direct and the case is like some futuristic thing you would see in a sci-fi movie but this is real. It is the best case I have ever seen. It is nicer than my good Swiss stainless steel watch cases. Tried to scratch in inner surface of an end plate, and with a good knife tip, could barely leave a mark. Crazy hard. And to me, but it is early, it does sound a little different. Even more space and individual sounds but time will tell. The case, back to that, is like having something that would cost a huge amount. My wife could care less about this stuff and she looking at it and kept picking it up saying how nice it feels and how different it looks. That it comes with the end plates for the AMP12 and AMP13 is a big plus. I don't use a case but the black leather case for this is a softer plush feeling case. Simply excellent as well. A fine leather texture to it.

Listening with the ES R10 phones and they throw a wonderful soundstage.

Sep 29, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #6,470 of 10,347
Deleted

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #6,471 of 10,347
I wasn't going to get one but had to see the case. I got it in direct and the case is like some futuristic thing you would see in a sci-fi movie but this is real. It is the best case I have ever seen. It is nicer than my good Swiss stainless steel watch cases. Tried to scratch in inner surface of an end plate, and with a good knife tip, could barely leave a mark. Crazy hard.
Being a knife collector, as another (too) expensive hobby, I like to research and purchase knives with specific steels with specific harndess ratings. The harder the steel (Rockwell Hardness Value) the harder to scratch but the more brittle it is. The softer blah, blah, blah... .... Here is a chart for common (knife) steels just to get an idea:
knife-steel-chart-1-2.jpg
My point is that if you can barely make a scratch in it, I wonder where it might sit on this chart. If it won't scratch at all, is it brittle enough to crack with impact? Dunno', I was just curious?! Most of my knives don't crack with impact and they are also hard to scratch (some need diamond sharpeners to sharpen). Not a big deal either way, I just found your test interesting. :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #6,472 of 10,347
Being a knife collector, as another (too) expensive hobby, I like to research and purchase knives with specific steels with specific harndess ratings. The harder the steel (Rockwell Hardness Value) the harder to scratch but the more brittle it is. The softer blah, blah, blah... .... Here is a chart for common (knife) steels just to get an idea:
knife-steel-chart-1-2.jpg
My point is that if you can barely make a scratch in it, I wonder where it might sit on this chart. If it won't scratch at all, is it brittle enough to crack with impact? Dunno', I was just curious?! Most of my knives don't crack with impact and they are also hard to scratch (some need diamond sharpeners to sharpen). Not a big deal either way, I just found your test interesting. :)
I read that the liquidmetal is also resistant to cracking. I have mostly custom knives that hold an excellent edge and I also use diamond stones often to sharpen them. I haven't bought any for a while, it gets too expensive when you are talking about really good custom knives. :^) But they are nice to have.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #6,473 of 10,347
I read that the liquidmetal is also resistant to cracking. I have mostly custom knives that hold an excellent edge and I also use diamond stones often to sharpen them. I haven't bought any for a while, it gets too expensive when you are talking about really good custom knives. :^) But they are nice to have.
Oh nice! sounds like a good combo then... Are you going to put it into a clear case, or keep it as is (since it seems to be scratch resistant)?

I have some moderately expensive knives e.g. Benchmade, Spyderco, WE, Microtech, etc... ($200 - $400+), but I have never dipped into the upper echelon of knives. None of mine are custom though, other than I chose (by paying more) for better steel... Most of the common (budget) knives come with stuff like D2, which isn't bad per se', but you have to sharpen them very often just from cutting a small amount of cardboard. Good news is they are very easy to sharpen though.. I haven't bought any for a couple of years. I have too many to keep track of as it is... LOL I DO carry a different one every day though.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #6,474 of 10,347
As far as I understand it, it seems like another form of a monocrystalline metal except with a random arrangement of atoms. Sounds contradictory, I know. Metals, like wood, have grains. Depending on the cooling process, they can be forged into a single grain. The grain size in a metal can determine how brittle a material can be as well as their tensile strength, hardness, elasticity, etc. The gap between these grains is basically known as the grain boundary, think of them as cracks, and the more cracks you have, the more points of failure you have. Apply enough force and said grains will split at the cracks. From what I've read, liquid metal does not have any grain boundaries so I must assume this means the whole cast is a single giant grain of metal, although with amorphous structure in whatever alloy it's made of. This is super expensive and difficult to manufacture due to the controlled conditions in which it can be made and the end results basically yields the best state of said metal being used because, as mentioned, you'd have less points of failure in the material should you ever apply any stress or load.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #6,475 of 10,347
As far as I understand it, it seems like another form of a monocrystalline metal except with a random arrangement of atoms. Sounds contradictory, I know. Metals, like wood, have grains. Depending on the cooling process, they can be forged into a single grain. The grain size in a metal can determine how brittle a material can be as well as their tensile strength, hardness, elasticity, etc. The gap between these grains is basically known as the grain boundary, think of them as cracks, and the more cracks you have, the more points of failure you have. Apply enough force and said grains will split at the cracks. From what I've read, liquid metal does not have any grain boundaries so I must assume this means the whole cast is a single giant grain of metal, although with amorphous structure in whatever alloy it's made of. This is super expensive and difficult to manufacture due to the controlled conditions in which it can be made and the end results basically yields the best state of said metal being used because, as mentioned, you'd have less points of failure in the material should you ever apply any stress or load.
WOW! Great explanation. Thanks for that.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #6,476 of 10,347
I wasn't going to get one but had to see the case. I got it in direct and the case is like some futuristic thing you would see in a sci-fi movie but this is real. It is the best case I have ever seen. It is nicer than my good Swiss stainless steel watch cases. Tried to scratch in inner surface of an end plate, and with a good knife tip, could barely leave a mark. Crazy hard. And to me, but it is early, it does sound a little different. Even more space and individual sounds but time will tell. The case, back to that, is like having something that would cost a huge amount. My wife could care less about this stuff and she looking at it and kept picking it up saying how nice it feels and how different it looks. That it comes with the end plates for the AMP12 and AMP13 is a big plus. I don't use a case but the black leather case for this is a softer plush feeling case. Simply excellent as well. A fine leather texture to it.

Nice! You got one in already ? pictures please

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #6,477 of 10,347
And what Sansa player used this case ? and is it verified ?
So according to that article, Sansa made MP3 player cases out of it. If it's been done already, by Sansa no less, then it can't justify the $500 upcharge on it's own.

Wonder if this is better than Rolex steel…you know ? The SP3K :wink:

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #6,478 of 10,347
The material used in DX320 Edition X is titanium-based liquid metal alloy.

The info comes from zeppelinandco where I got mine.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #6,480 of 10,347
And what Sansa player used this case ? and is it verified ?
Sansa player? The old sandisk mp3 players? Did they use liquid metal as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back