DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,451 of 10,347
For me it sounds just ever so slightly different from the normal dx320. YMMV. Coming from dx228ex/248ex it's quite a nice sounding upgrade since I did not like dx300 with the original stock Amp.

Chassis material seems to play a part for how it sounds. Like all those different materials from AK player, DX max series.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #6,452 of 10,347
The simplest explanation is that different ground references has different resistive properties :wink:. Whether or not it effect the sound is completely upon you, because there is no known technical methods to measure the differences such as noises in mV…etc… or even upto a sweep references frequencies….or any other technical parameters that can showcase the differences.

It still is waiting for some self proclaimed professional to invent a method to measure it so. But most of the so called professionals are all about denying that such a casting materials can change sounds. Please mind you that it is very typical for most of the professionals to stay in the “in denial state” for many things
I guessed it had something to do with the ground, just didn't think it would be something noticeable like cables for example, which are also subjective but I believe in they make a difference. Resistance, conductivity and all other material properties obviously matter.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #6,453 of 10,347
I guessed it had something to do with the ground, just didn't think it would be something noticeable like cables for example, which are also subjective but I believe in they make a difference. Resistance, conductivity and all other material properties obviously matter.
Don’t quote me, but…

A lot of it matter, and not only resistivity. Each different materials also have it own resonances properties, and that is with many different form of energies (electrical waves, or physical vibrations, impacts….etc…) What they are is that different materials will be more effective at a certain frequencies while being less efficient with some others. This is why different materials will sound differently. The easiest way to make an example of this is using Cymbals set, different materials will sound different (Because the resonating points is different). One of the materials that is so well balanced for all audio frequencies and analog conductivity is actually “Pure Gold”. It doesn’t compete against copper or silver on conductivity or resistivity either!

You can see that there is only one IC chips from DAC maker are using Pure Gold wires for terminal connections, and that is ROHM chips. I can only attest to this that I love “pure Gold” sound performances a lot, and I loved ROHM chips from N8ii before I found out that they are using this Gold-Wires as well

Not only that, but Sony also is using Gold plated materials for their Walkman and so on, the engineers mentioned that the density of Gold bring a more stabilized signal integrity ? Who knows….but Gold-plated is fine by me, I am not too crazy about “plated”. I can say for sure is that “Pure Gold” will sound like nothing else out there.

Now, you want to know why this is so special from an IC chip ? Because “Pure Thin Gold” is easily “vaporized” at “temperature”, and in order to fabricate an IC chips this way, is very unique

Pure gold:
IMO/E is that it carries a very Balanced, Neutral and natural sound signature, with amazing layering, textures and most importantly is Dynamic delivery. No!!! It doesn’t sound Warm! People who stated that had never listened to Pure Gold cables! I am 100% sure of it. They simply based it off the conductivity and electrical characteristics to state so. You can also see ROHM claiming it being natural and delicate as well!

While people are being hyped about RS8 and it newest R2R system. I am more crazy and in love with ROHM-IC in Dx320!! Then the modules do bring a huge differences. The fun will be endless!
0DD2139F-A3D5-42B7-A9E4-6F496F4F32A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #6,454 of 10,347
"liquid metal" doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, does it? I mean, I would think that any metal item produced by MIM or casting would count as "liquid metal" since the metal was in a liquid state when it was introduced into a mold. So, has Ibasso been more than cryptic as to what is special about this "liquid metal"? Not meaning to pick, I'm just curious as to what it is about the "liquid metal" that justifies the $500 upcharge? ... or at least part of the upcharge as I'm sure the limited release of the X accounts for some of it.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #6,455 of 10,347
"liquid metal" doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, does it? I mean, I would think that any metal item produced by MIM or casting would count as "liquid metal" since the metal was in a liquid state when it was introduced into a mold. So, has Ibasso been more than cryptic as to what is special about this "liquid metal"? Not meaning to pick, I'm just curious as to what it is about the "liquid metal" that justifies the $500 upcharge? ... or at least part of the upcharge as I'm sure the limited release of the X accounts for some of it.
I looked it up a while back. Yes, it is a type of metal that is very hard, melts at a lower temp and does not rust. It is a term for a certain type of metal used. Of course any metal can melt but that isn't what the name refers to.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #6,456 of 10,347
Agreed with this detailed questions, and also am curious about the same thing @Paul - iBasso , could we please have some more information ?

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #6,457 of 10,347
Sep 29, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #6,458 of 10,347
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #6,461 of 10,347
From technological point of view it seems like a gimmick. Also dap doesnt need to be made out of any steel because its usage scenario doesnt require it. Aluminum is enough and its light. But it looks amazing and if it improves the sound even very slightly, its a great looking limited edition.
That's what I'm getting at now that it seems that the metal itself doesn't justify the price. It's the combination of a cool, unique case, the limited number to be released, 10th anniversary stuff .... basically limited edition / collectors appeal. And that's fair enough. Lot's of companies do stuff like that for many different items.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #6,462 of 10,347
That's what I'm getting at now that it seems that the metal itself doesn't justify the price. It's the combination of a cool, unique case, the limited number to be released, 10th anniversary stuff .... basically limited edition / collectors appeal. And that's fair enough. Lot's of companies do stuff like that for many different items.
Yes, a typical collector's thing. But anyways, Happy 10th anniversary of making great daps to IBasso! Its a very nice way to celebrate.
On the other hand it wouldnt be fair if IBasso made a dap which looks nicer and plays better for only 500 buck more. Lets be honest, we spend thousands for this hobby and 500 bucks isnt something most of us would care, even if we eat rahmen for the rest of the month:)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #6,463 of 10,347
Ibasso products are amazing ! Well priced as well. The RS8 from Hiby is commanding TOTL pricing from what I read, and is using similar amplification topology as Dx300/320 Amp11, which mainly revolves around Opa1652 and class A output…..well, with an additional diodes and firmware controls for AB as an option !!!

Anyways, I have been through different products from China, and I can say that Paul and Ibasso customer supports is Top Of The Lines. I trust and love Ibasso products over any others. Not only they sound good, great pricing, but amazing customer supports !!!

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6,465 of 10,347
RS8 supposed to sell for $3600 from what I read. That's a massive (and insane) jump in price from the current R2R flagship, the RS6, which is $1400 I think.
Less inventory has to be bought to make less units but still make the same net as having made many more due to the high profit. So buy it for 3000 or more and think somehow the world will open up to a sound never before heard. :^).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back