Jul 5, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,693 of 10,343
Updating to the newest fw i did this:

- factory reset through the bios
- another factory reset after rebooting the system from the Settings level
- firmware update using 660 Tool
- factory reset in bios
- factory reset from system level, without any settings configuration
- then stright after the last factory reset, 5x restarted the system
- then perforemed the whole configuration, downloading apps etc.
sounds excessive ?!? where did you come up with this formula ! lol

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,695 of 10,343
Source matters....even on Bluetooth.

A little comparison listening this morning. Headphones always Sennheiser Momentum 3, latest software.

Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max - FlacBox and/or Apple Music - latest software available

DX320 - PowerAmp (same files as FlacBox) and/or Qobuz - latest software

Biggest difference to these ears.....in comparing from the two sources, is that the Apple setup has a 'blackness' about it, large, tall and wide soundstage, similar to sitting at the back of an acoustic 'tuned' orchestra hall.

However, the DX320....equals the iOS setup in many aspects, but places the listener closer to the stage, gives a slightly wider soundstage, mids/vocals more 'engaging and centered/holographic', if that makes sense. Almost feels like there's a slight sensation of the 'echo/reverb' aspect of some space surrounding the listener.

Music variety doesn't play a large part, again to these ears....several genres compared, Rush, Blue Stone, Pink Floyd, The Martian (soundtrack), J.S. Bach Harpiscords Concertos III, Flim & the BBs, and more.

Fun!

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,697 of 10,343
I just know that after 250+ hours burn-in the stock amp sounds sublime to my ears. At this point I've not even been tempted to change amps.
I enjoy the AMP13 a lot but agree, the stock amp is superb as well and I use it much of the time. Nice to have excellent options.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #3,698 of 10,343
Wait what new fw cameout ! And I missed that wooaaat 🤣

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,699 of 10,343
Wait what new fw cameout ! And I missed that wooaaat 🤣
There is no new firmware, but there is latest firmware.

The latest firmware is great when rooted and it somehow also effect both Android and MangoOS alike.

The latest firmware also doesn’t continuously draining the digital battery away when under operation mode and in idle (a better idling state I guess ?). But it also doesn’t have the same performances as the original…though very close when rooted and assigning cores

I noted that when something changed inside AnfroidOS, it also Carries on for MangoOS, not all the time, but most of it, like Phone out as an option ?

I do like and prefer OG firmware, but this OG drains the digital battery ways fast, especially when constantly on and not being idles.

It changes the behavior a bit when you root it and kernel controls it

So, the best firmware is OG and rooted

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #3,700 of 10,343
I enjoy the AMP13 a lot but agree, the stock amp is superb as well and I use it much of the time. Nice to have excellent options.
bonus that it has both 2.5 and 4.4

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #3,701 of 10,343
When it comes to the iems, i noticed that i have very similar taste to the Crinacle's. So if you want to ask me about iems, just look at the Crinacle's ranking. Im exactly with him. After many, many tests i agree with this guy. Hes genius, he honestly knows what a great tuned iems/headphones should sound like.
I've enjoyed the 7hz Timeless so much with the DX320, especially considering the price that I ordered the 7Hz x Crinacle: Salnotes Dioko's. For 99 bucks, I have a feeling it's going to be a good pair of IEMs as Crinnacle helped on the tuning but obviously need to get them before judging. I just feel like they are going to worth a 100 bucks but I have been wrong before.

Also, I really can't overstate how much I like the ROHM DAC on the DX320. So much so that I ordered the S.M.S.L D300 which will be here today. Luckily I ordered it when it was 50 bucks off. Looks like they removed MQA which doesn't matter to me personally but it sounds like it was to keep costs down as the ROHM DAC is probably more expensive then ESS or Cirrus DACs (speculation).

A great driver without proper tuning will never achieve an enjoyable sound. This is why 7Hz has partnered with the renown audio reviewer, Crinacle. Crinacle is a revolutionary figure in the world of Hi-Fi audio, and is the most experienced individual when it comes to tuning measurements in in-ear monitors. With collaboration with Crinacle, an integrative tuning strategy has been utilized to deliver tonal balance across the whole frequency range.

Attachments

• salnotes-graph.png
    salnotes-graph.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,702 of 10,343

The latest firmware is great when rooted and it somehow also effect both Android and MangoOS alike.

The latest firmware also doesn’t continuously draining the digital battery away when under operation mode and in idle (a better idling state I guess ?). But it also doesn’t have the same performances as the original…though very close when rooted and assigning cores

I noted that when something changed inside AnfroidOS, it also Carries on for MangoOS, not all the time, but most of it, like Phone out as an option ?

I do like and prefer OG firmware, but this OG drains the digital battery ways fast, especially when constantly on and not being idles.

I do agree the og fw is very special and specially if paired with stock amp. It gives all the magic!

I can’t wait enough to try the amp 12 !

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #3,703 of 10,343
It gets even better when you have it rooted and assigning cores.

Also, somehow, when you do all the above with restarting 4-5 times, the sound gets better in both AndroidOS and MangoOS

You've teased us a few times with the rooting bait....I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

I've mentioned rooting older HTC and One+ devices....but it's been since Android 8 & 9. Don't need complete hand holding, but I'm wondering the 'tools' and such required? Browsed a bit over where y'all have talked about this...still not quite what I'm used to (being MacOS based). Any hints or links, even if it's PC based?

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #3,704 of 10,343
Had 2 days of a break from the dx320 slowly preparing it for sale, listening my old Pioneer 300r meanwhile and waiting for the Kann Max to come.
Today upgraded to the newest fw and fired it up with stock amp to check if everything is ok before i send it to the new owner and...
I'm not sure if i want to sell it anymore.
When pushed play on the first song, it striked me how bland and uninspiring my Pioneer and ifi zen dac v2 sound in comparison.
The dx320 is so holographic, dynamic, separated and insanely detailed.
I understood that these intense mids arent an issue, they are just immensely separated and detailed. It's really something special and i even find the new firmware slightly better that the OG. It's just more focused, cleaner, with bigger and more fun bass.
It really sounds like Stax in character.
Need to rethink a couple things.
Kind of surprised that you are selling your unit. I have the Zen Dac Signature V2 paired with the Zen Can Signature HFM as my desktop stack, not sure how that sounds in comparison to your setup but for music alone, I prefer the DX313, by quite a bit. The sound feels more lively, been stuck to the monarchs for hours. Plus you have the upside of full portability, take your library wherever you go. Features like Xpace doesn't feel natural to my ears so I barely use that setting on the amp, the HFM setting does add a nice extra touch as a quick EQ for bass tho. I may consider upgrading to the DX320 sometime soon lol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,705 of 10,343
I think the new sound is dedicated to the amp 13, when the stock amp still sounds the best with OG firmware. And here is the main problem. Hope IBasso will solve this is issue.
Amp13 is great but can also be made better. Stock caps can be upgraded.

I for one am perfectly happy with the newest FW and stock amp…can’t be bothered to switch back and forth between firmwares.
I have a custom 12EXN coming Tues from Steve, and am eager to hear how it pairs with the 320 (I had 12EX with the 300 and absolutely adored it).

This unit has FILM CAPS, on PSU and on output stage, as well as all the stock brown SMD parts upgraded.
This amp12 specifically is using sliver and copper type films.

Also,
Whitigir amp11 mod is also using ALOT of FILM caps. Again, FILM caps are on another level to any other caps.

As I mentioned :
  • AK Kann Alpha 12 Vrms
  • AK Kann MAX 15 Vrms
This is meaningless when its just one battery with a step-up PSU. Think much less amps.

But the problem is that the Max isnt capable of driving the most power hungry planars to their full potential. So its "power" thats mentioned on any data sheet is completely pointless.

Not only is the power measurements a bit meaningless, but NO OTHEr Dap on the market has the internal space for amp boards with large parts.
Specifically, film caps. Film caps is on another level, as you have experienced with the new stock amp.
The latest moded amp boards are implementing WAY better parts than ANY dap could dream of using, inside their units. All other daps confined to miniature SMD parts. Size limitations. Size matters. 😅

You've teased us a few times with the rooting bait....I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

I've mentioned rooting older HTC and One+ devices....but it's been since Android 8 & 9. Don't need complete hand holding, but I'm wondering the 'tools' and such required? Browsed a bit over where y'all have talked about this...still not quite what I'm used to (being MacOS based). Any hints or links, even if it's PC based?
It's over at NP Audio site but you can wait for the whitigir tips in his thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back