DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #9,631 of 13,478
sorry I was referring to the old type kann, there are sound differences with the dx220?
I had the old Kann, sold it and got DX200. Old Kann uses AKM chips, and this one is ESS. AKM chips I found personally very clinical, ESS is a tad little warm.

But even with the old Kann, I had to put it to 140 for HD650 and AFC to get the dynamics, same in DX220. I use High gain 140 for Arya or HD650. It plays fine for these two, but not as good as my RME ADI-2. Not sure if this helps.

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #9,635 of 13,478
I guess with Amp8w you mean the Whitigir mod with should be actually the same as the Amp8EX modification...so when they are both based on the same components, they should sound the same apart from the burning in procedure that is not completed for the new unit if you believe in that.

Amp8W is modified stock amp8 by replacements of some output caps and few caps nearby the 4.4 balanced output with much better caps whereas amp8EX is Vince ideas of replacements the critical points (for better sounding) with maybe more than 10 different SMD caps on the circuit boards. Therefore, amp8EX is more open sounding, powerful and no distorted sound when cranking up the volume. To my ears it has more lush and details with layering timber...

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #9,636 of 13,478
Amp8W is modified stock amp8 by replacements of some output caps and few caps nearby the 4.4 balanced output with much better caps whereas amp8EX is Vince ideas of replacements the critical points (for better sounding) with maybe more than 10 different SMD caps on the circuit boards. Therefore, amp8EX is more open sounding, powerful and no distorted sound when cranking up the volume. To my ears it has more lush and details with layering timber...
Adding to what you said, this one is also has mods by @edwardsean where he used the Elna capacitors, and i see those from Vince's pics of the internals of FE. Also this one does not have the tantalum caps, they are shorted which i believe was done by a user in the AMP8 Mod thread.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #9,637 of 13,478

Adding to what you said, this one is also has mods by @edwardsean where he used the Elna capacitors, and i see those from Vince's pics of the internals of FE. Also this one does not have the tantalum caps, they are shorted which i was done by a user in the AMP8 Mod thread.

Thank you both for your explanations, interesting - i was not aware of that.

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #9,640 of 13,478
just got amp9 what an amazing amazing sound, it is the most pleasurable sound I heard coming from a dap period

this is cauing me to think seriously about my desktop setup :) as this now will open wide gates for me to start looking into totl desktop tube amps for my planar headphones, I have ifi ican pro but it does not give me this amazing sound signature that I get form amp9.

what an amazing sounding dap dx220 is with this amp9

just wow

DX229 sounds fantastic with Focal Clear, exceeds my desktop amp/dac in every respect except power.
But still, more than enough power to drive Clear, no need to use the new output setting for amp9.

Would love to try amp8ex but a couple of days before ordering I lost a deal on a 4.4mm cable for Clear, I was so disappointed and cooled on AMP8EX deal. But never is too late...

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #9,641 of 13,478
DX229 sounds fantastic with Focal Clear, exceeds my desktop amp/dac in every respect except power.
But still, more than enough power to drive Clear, no need to use the new output setting for amp9.

Would love to try amp8ex but a couple of days before ordering I lost a deal on a 4.4mm cable for Clear, I was so disappointed and cooled on AMP8EX deal. But never is too late...
Lost a deal? auctions?

why not DYI? like my local custom Abnormal cable for focal Elear...
20191204_191531.jpg

AMP9 is so Musical... and I prefer this on Headphone rather then IEM... especially TOP 40 Song...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #9,643 of 13,478
I doubt there is any DAP that has the same output power as the KANN Cube. Kann is more of a transportable than portable, it should be comparable to DX220Max when it comes out.
yeah baby... this dwarft have the same power...
but we talk about power only... not sound sig, UI, compability, Battery life etc...
20191108_142441.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #9,645 of 13,478
It seems that the volume know on my dx220 is broken. Any direction would just increase the volume.
It started after I changed my amp8 to amp8ex. So I've tried:
- change the amp back to amp8
- factory reset
- upgrading the firmware from 1.13.202 to 1.15.233
and my volume know is still broken. Is there anything else I can try? I'll try to swap the amp to amp9 later on today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back