DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 20, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #6,782 of 13,478
Density and dynamic is what regular DX220 and Amp8 regular are improved with EX modifications. What I am curious about is Soundstage! As good as the soundstage of EX on DX228 or DX208Ti, the DMP-Z1 is still ways ahead of the game. Density and fluidity, the DMP has* no competitions each individual instruments has it own unique timbres and density. It is not only fluid and thick, and dense, but is also accurate. It get so accurate that you can tell the Tempo, the pitch similar to how a tape deck or LP would represent but without physical noises of analog systems and or wow/fluttering

The only thing I want DMP Z1 to improve is the Warmth signature! I want a more neutral with clarity, transparency, airiness of Ibasso! And now it look like Ibasso is coming to the game! I can not wait!
That combo with my iem, was soooooooo spooky. It sounded like Bob Marley was walking around in my head, gives me chills just thinking about it.
I could make out entire instruments, not just placement, if I could get a used one for around 5K, I would have to seriously consider jumping on it.
I will probably buy a new one next year, may/June.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #6,783 of 13,478
I sold my dx220 in favour of the M11 (with Neutron) and yes I did compare with dx220 with Neutron (Also against R6Pro and N6ii with Neutron, these 2 are very similar daps so may ways) I still have N6ii but only to see what AM02 offers.

Interesting. What was the major factor for you for M11? I have dx220 and M11 now... I’m after the sound quality only and I’m leaning towards dx220.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #6,784 of 13,478
I enjoyed the M11 (since it has been mentioned a few times here) but it isn't at the level of the DX220. They fit into two different areas. The M11 nice a solid in like an upper mid line and worth the monty but the DX220 is totally high end for sound, equalling and bettering my WM1Z (AMP8 and WMP9).

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #6,785 of 13,478
I do notice a big increase in gain when swapping in AMP9 without powering the unit down first. Can this damage the AMP or player? Would be good to know how this could affect things long term.

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #6,787 of 13,478
I do notice a big increase in gain when swapping in AMP9 without powering the unit down first. Can this damage the AMP or player? Would be good to know how this could affect things long term.
I am listening with the hot swamping amp9 more than 50hrs. Until now, I have not any problems, except waterfall noise occur with low empedence iems as my Noble katana.
I suggest that new firmware should recognize the earphones's empedence to switch power automatically as audio smartphones (lg V, Vivo Xplay6,..). If low empedence earphones is plugged, amp9 only need the low output, and increase the feeding output automatically for high empedence earphones.

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #6,788 of 13,478
I am listening with the hot swamping amp9 more than 50hrs. Until now, I have not any problems, except waterfall noise occur with low empedence iems as my Noble katana.
I suggest that new firmware should recognize the earphones's empedence to switch power automatically as audio smartphones (lg V, Vivo Xplay6,..). If low empedence earphones is plugged, amp9 only need the low output, and increase the feeding output automatically for high empedence earphones.

I emailed iBasso about AMP9 low output and suggested separate firmware for headphone users. Got a reply saying they forwarded my request to their engineers.

Or, now that I think about it, perhaps a larger gap between gain settings for the AMP9. However, I suspect adding more power could increase the hiss some iem users are experiencing.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #6,789 of 13,478

Now that would be a great feature. I don’t know technically if this meaningful but Nutubes accept a range of operating voltages from 5 to 80V, your are not the only person using the AMP1mk2 triggered AMP9 so I wonder what’s the margin iBasso has to increase its power?

Saying that, as I mentioned before, I have no complaints, it makes all my headphones sing beautifully

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #6,790 of 13,478
Headphone impedance doesn’t necessarily track with sensitivity though. My Andromeda S have low impedance and high sensitivity (12.8 ohm and 128 dB/mW), but I still sometimes hit 100 on the volume pot on Amp9 (Android, low gain). Not sure Id want to switch down the power for the Amp9...

Jul 21, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #6,791 of 13,478
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #6,792 of 13,478
here is one vote that agrees with you.. of all the recorded media I own SACD provides the best digital platform to work off of. whether you are ripping to ISO or any other format SACD contains more information and therefore offers more in the end. thankfully there are bona fide methods of ripping an SACD that aren't outrageously expensive (I got lucky and a Blu-ray player I purchased a few years back is capable.. who knew?)

I do believe that starting with the most digital information available and converting into a format the DX220 can maximize is the way to go. once I cull my current group of players I will look to audition this one and in the mean time I will punish my CPU converting my SACD collection to DSD512

Totally agree. Btw what blu ray player do you have? :)

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #6,793 of 13,478
@Whitigir need some advice! :)

So been oversampling FLAC to DSD using HQPlayer now and it's much better than XiSRC and clearly the difference can be heard.

Question is, that my office laptop is not the fastest for processing this especially when i need to multi-task programs. Is there any way I can achieve live conversion of PCM to DSD apart from using HQplayer on my work laptop? Any external amps that can do that by using DX220 as the source?

Thanks!!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #6,794 of 13,478
@Whitigir need some advice! :)

So been oversampling FLAC to DSD using HQPlayer now and it's much better than XiSRC and clearly the difference can be heard.

Question is, that my office laptop is not the fastest for processing this especially when i need to multi-task programs. Is there any way I can achieve live conversion of PCM to DSD apart from using HQplayer on my work laptop? Any external amps that can do that by using DX220 as the source?

Thanks!!

Neutron player can live process to DSD I think. Beside that, I am not too sure of any others. I use offline processing by HQplayerPro and there are a lot of different filters that can suit the tastes since I also love HQPlayer :)

Now I am waiting for the DX220 max if it could do dsd1024 ? Lol

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #6,795 of 13,478
I think Roon can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back