DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jun 5, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,593 of 13,478
The only thing I found matter is the “noises” that a MicroSD May make. It is solved by SamSung first though
I got the 512gb Samsung recently and really like it.

How did the solve a noise issue? Do you know what they have done differently compared to the Sandisk?

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4,594 of 13,478
I got the 512gb Samsung recently and really like it.

How did the solve a noise issue? Do you know what they have done differently compared to the Sandisk?

I am not sure what Sandisk did, but Samsung solved the cell interferences by their newest proprietary 3D-NAND, or the V-NAND (vertical-nand). Though, Sony was the first one to acknowledge the “cell-interferences”. Sony released “Audiophile MicroSD” claiming that MicroSD can generate noises, and it can contaminate the sound.

However, Samsung also states that “cell-interferences” can create errors, and these errors will in-turn may lose it values or create errors and that reduce the reading and writing speed of the memory performances. From what Samsung claims, I would just say that judging a memory stick by it read/write speed may be a good references ?

I do love new Samsung Evo-512 Gb too....can’t hardly wait for 1Tb

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #4,595 of 13,478
I am not sure what Sandisk did, but Samsung solved the cell interferences by their newest proprietary 3D-NAND, or the V-NAND (vertical-nand). Though, Sony was the first one to acknowledge the “cell-interferences”. Sony released “Audiophile MicroSD” claiming that MicroSD can generate noises, and it can contaminate the sound.

However, Samsung also states that “cell-interferences” can create errors, and these errors will in-turn may lose it values or create errors and that reduce the reading and writing speed of the memory performances. From what Samsung claims, I would just say that judging a memory stick by it read/write speed may be a good references ?

I do love new Samsung Evo-512 Gb too....can’t hardly wait for 1Tb
So, it seems that what Sony is charging for, in extreme pricing, Samsung is doing at a bargain, by comparison.

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #4,596 of 13,478
So, it seems that what Sony is charging for, in extreme pricing, Samsung is doing at a bargain, by comparison.
It seems so. It could be different technology though as Sony never mass produce their own memory card and or developing it any further ? It only has 64Gb value. Samsung is benefiting from their manufacturing and massive productions though, so there is a huge different. Wait a few more months and SamSung could only get it cheaper and improve the technology :D

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #4,597 of 13,478
It seems so. It could be different technology though as Sony never mass produce their own memory card and or developing it any further ? It only has 64Gb value. Samsung is benefiting from their manufacturing and massive productions though, so there is a huge different. Wait a few more months and SamSung could only get it cheaper and improve the technology :D
I am glad you used the word "May" in describing the possible noise from memory cards. Certainly there is some science behind the phenomena but has anyone here actually heard such noise on any consistent basis? I certainly have not (don't claim to have superhuman/bat like hearing either though :L3000:) and have been using SanDisk memory cards for 6+ years (well - did have a bad one way back when that resulted in all kinds of skips and pops on my DX90 and was replaced under warranty). Guess these manufacturers have to come up with some kind of edge/new technology to convince people like us to spend, spend, spend...

Anyways, would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced these noise issues.

Now back to the beautiful noise we call music :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:!

Cheers,
Tim

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,598 of 13,478
I am glad you used the word "May" in describing the possible noise from memory cards. Certainly there is some science behind the phenomena but has anyone here actually heard such noise on any consistent basis? I certainly have not (don't claim to have superhuman/bat like hearing either though :L3000:) and have been using SanDisk memory cards for 6+ years (well - did have a bad one way back when that resulted in all kinds of skips and pops on my DX90 and was replaced under warranty). Guess these manufacturers have to come up with some kind of edge/new technology to convince people like us to spend, spend, spend...

Anyways, would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced these noise issues.

Now back to the beautiful noise we call music :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:!

Cheers,
Tim

You got that right. After all, music is just noises, and with algorithms to compose a rhythmic flow :D. The reason why we don’t hear those noises, probably have to do with the fact that it isn’t bothersome enough. See ? There would be people who love the “beautiful noises” or “pop/crackles” from vinyl....but some people can not stand it at all...LOL! The same as Analog tape “hisses”....

So far, electrical noises are posed in 2 ways that I observed, and it isn’t exactly noises, but a form of “distortions”. When trebles distorts, it is caused by errors from digital info, whether it is from the algorithm or the hardware, or both....it distorts, and it gives off “harshness, grainy, or even sibilant, uncomfortable details textures”. The same thing as the bass distortions itself....it doesn’t necessarily have to be real distortions that you hear, but being muddy and veiled up is also a form of bass “distortions”....

I am not talking about your typical standard of “distortions” though....but those are the best of how I could describe it.

I realized that much because of my tinkering with DX platforms, and those noise absorbing TK sheeting does wonderfully well. However, if you absorbed too much noises, you could lose information....those that are likely lost during the process, but without added noises from other part of the systems, the music could become hollow and boring or appear to have lost it details. This is another reason why DSD512 sound wonderful on DX2002/220 with EX modifications...the algorithms (offline processing) itself doesn’t encounter as much errors in the processing system as the DAP itself and live processing

But, remember, no one have to agree with me. These are my own findings and experiences, and since you asked for it, I am happy to share. Yes, it is a can of worms, and I shared what you asked for....won’t touch it again...LoL

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #4,599 of 13,478
You got that right. After all, music is just noises, and with algorithms to compose a rhythmic flow :D. The reason why we don’t hear those noises, probably have to do with the fact that it isn’t bothersome enough. See ? There would be people who love the “beautiful noises” or “pop/crackles” from vinyl....but some people can not stand it at all...LOL! The same as Analog tape “hisses”....

So far, electrical noises are posed in 2 ways that I observed, and it isn’t exactly noises, but a form of “distortions”. When trebles distorts, it is caused by errors from digital info, whether it is from the algorithm or the hardware, or both....it distorts, and it gives off “harshness, grainy, or even sibilant, uncomfortable details textures”. The same thing as the bass distortions itself....it doesn’t necessarily have to be real distortions that you hear, but being muddy and veiled up is also a form of bass “distortions”....

I am not talking about your typical standard of “distortions” though....but those are the best of how I could describe it.

I realized that much because of my tinkering with DX platforms, and those noise absorbing TK sheeting does wonderfully well. However, if you absorbed too much noises, you could lose information....those that are likely lost during the process, but without added noises from other part of the systems, the music could become hollow and boring or appear to have lost it details. This is another reason why DSD512 sound wonderful on DX2002/220 with EX modifications...the algorithms (offline processing) itself doesn’t encounter as much errors in the processing system as the DAP itself and live processing

But, remember, no one have to agree with me. These are my own findings and experiences, and since you asked for it, I am happy to share. Yes, it is a can of worms, and I shared what you asked for....won’t touch it again...LoL
Thanks Vince - time to go fishing with the nice can of worms :beerchug:!

Cheers,
Tim

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,600 of 13,478
Ready for it ? Give it some twists and remixes :D

000D6F9E-674D-474E-93BA-F5A070DF9CC1.jpeg

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #4,601 of 13,478
Ready for it ? Give it some twists and remixes :D

Nice songs preference...
20190606_075926.jpg
Quite cheesy... but I like... the dynamic flow in DX228 is amazed me...
o yeah.. I dont like AMP8... I LOVED it...

BTW, there's a quite senior reviewer in my country, who can identify the sound characteristics based on the SD card Brand... it was tested to him on 3 years ago. He was give a try to listen from 4 different brand of SDcard, and blindfold, the SD card was shuffle and listened to him, amazingly he could point which SDCard by listening to it..
made him a legend because of that...
sorry OOT

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,602 of 13,478
Okay, does anyone else have to wait an hour-and-a-half for the DX220 (in Android mode) to scan the music on a micro SD card fully? Admittedly, I’m using a 512GB card, but still, it’s nuts how the player runs like molasses at times!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,604 of 13,478
Samsung, same as you. And which music player do you use? I find that they all seem to do scanning indepedent of each other.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,605 of 13,478
My Dx220 is completely stock. I first scanned it in Android mango initial scan of about 6000 flac files took less than 15 minutes, then went to Mango OS and it re-scanned in a matter of minutes. I use 512gb card. When I add files to it then re-scan takes, again, a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back