DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #13,456 of 13,478
I had a similar issue with this unit - the on/off button can be a bit "dodgy" and if it's not being pressed down in the right place, it doesn't activate the on switch underneath the physical button. Try and find the sweet spot and see how that goes.
It finally started working again, I think it's the battery that's too old, I have to replace it, it turned on again after charging for a long time, if it freezes again I'll try the power button at different angles, thanks.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #13,457 of 13,478
OK, got my new DX220, connected to my local wifi, went to update and got "network error!". There's no troubleshooting section in the user manual and I couldn't find anything via google.

Also, the unit shows firmware as being 1.17.256 but that firmware is not listed on iBasso's website under their downloads section for the DX220 unit. Is there website up to date? Can anyone confirm that this firmware is the latest version etc?
OK, trying to update from 1.17.256 to the next latest version, but keep getting network error! Last time it was that this was the latest firmware update version. https://ibasso.com/dx220-firmware/ suggests 2 later firmware versions:

V1.18.284
V1.19.324

browsing whilst connected to my wifi network isn't working via Chrome on the DX220. iPhone 12 mini, right next to the DX220, connected to the same network, is working without any issues.

So, either there's an issue with the network adaptor in the unit, or the Android OS. Or I guess, both.

To test this theory, I could connect the DX220 to my iPhone's 5G network via personal hotspot, but I'll have to do that later on when everyone is asleep, as turning off our network router will disrupt everyone else in the household.

Either way, my iPhone, from the same location, connecting to the very same SSID is working without ANY issue.

I rarely use the DAP these days, using my iPhone for most audio needs on the run. I've recently bought some Soundpeats Engine4 wireless BT earbuds and can't get them to work at all with the DX220. The DX220 supports SBC, which means it should work with these earbuds. The DX220 also supports LDAC, but it seems from my research that this is from the DAP to another device, and not from wireless earbuds that support LDAC to the DAP (rendering LDAC support useless).

I am becoming rather frustrated with all of this. It's another reason, voicing my earlier concerns a few years ago, to avoid Android devices at all costs. The OS is complete and utter garbage and a UI mess.

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #13,458 of 13,478
Right, so decided to not wait and just walk up the road far enough from my home until the wifi SSID disappeared and I was using my 5G connection on the iPhone. Connected the DX220 to the iPhone via personal hotspot. I'd say the Internet speed is better than when connecting to my home network, but crikey, it's akin to a 56k connection LOL. I've seen dead snails nailed to the floor move faster than this. As expected, update failed (yep, you guessed it, "network error!").

My conclusion is that the wifi NIC is screwed in the unit. I've seen this with my current laptop and had HP change the wifi NIC to an Intel unit and voila. Only took 5 months of arguing with HP over this before they gave in. HP a big fat ZERO and Dave 1 (the winner, yay). I hate dealing with customer service idiots with no IT background who think they know more than someone with 15+ years IT background who's been building their own computers for 25 years.

Anyway, I have given up on updating the DX220. I may go down the microSD card avenue down the track, but this is really bad. iBasso touts update over the Internet as a feature. It doesn't work. My recollection is that it has NEVER worked with my unit and I have had to always update via microSD card in the past. Maybe I got a dud unit, I don't know. I have a sample size of 1 so cannot be sure.

AK may be overpriced but their products work. It has not been a joyous marriage with iBasso with more problems than it's worth.

I will email iBasso to see what they say, but i don't expect any real help. I'm not sending the unit back to China for months on end and a large costly repair bill. It still plays music (*touches wood*) so I will leave things as is and use my wired headphones with the unit.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #13,459 of 13,478
OK, final update for now...

Have went into developer mode on the DX220. It has auto selected "use system selection (default)". There are other options here - I've tried SBC, AAC LDAC and Qualcomm aptx audio (not the HD audio option). None of them produce audio.

For poops 'n' giggles, I charged my AK120II, figured out how to use BT with it again (hasn't been used since I got the DX220) and et voila - connected and paired to the Soundpeats and audio too.

I am not sure what is going on here, but if my much older AK120II can play music, then I'd expect the DX220 as well and I don't think I'm being unreasonable. The soundpeats are not the issue, and they are obviously compatible with AndroidOS, an even OLDER version of AndroidOS too to rub salt into the wound.

I've logged a ticket with iBasso (prior to testing with the AK120II unit though), so it will be interesting to see what they say and what excuses they make.

The DX220 does work with a cheap pair of BT headphones, and also my LG BT speakers. It also works via BT with my car audio system, but that is sketchier (that's the car audio system though, a crappy Camry unit).

Am I missing something elementary?

I may fork out on a Shanling UP4, which by all accounts offers good sound quality and just works.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #13,460 of 13,478
I have a dx 220, during playback it turned off and doesn't turn on anymore, I put it on charge and it's hot but it doesn't turn on, apart from the power button 10 seconds to reset there are no other button options to force the reset?
If I am not mixing up anything - there's some kind of recovery boot if you press power button with see PS below skip button closest to volume knob (mine is FF, but you could configured it the other way), OR pressing power button with volume up.

This get's you to recovery screen and there you can choose the option to boot normally with a volume knob and power button as "ok".

I am encountering such thing randomly (maybe 3 or 4 times in 3 years) so I can't remember what triggers this and exact buttons : )

The only thing I've noticed - this happens with mango player and if i am listening to music while it's charging. i think there could be some bug or an issue with battery controller, because my 220 is getting much hotter in mango while charging while only a bit warmer while charging in UAPP, so I've dropped the habit of listening to it while it's chaging.

Never happend with UAPP while not on charge though

P.S, I've replicated entering the recovery screen:

1. The device should be turned off
2. Press and hold central button (play button)
3. While holding play button press and hold power button until you see dx220 logo, then release the power button or the device will turn off, BUT KEEP holding the play button until you see the recovery.

From here you can choose the options with volume knob and confirm with power button, cheers.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-01_13-09-14.jpg
    photo_2024-03-01_13-09-14.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #13,461 of 13,478
Hi guys
Been a while since I've been here.

Need manual for the 220.
Checked ibasso site and it is not available.

Had it in pdf on other computer that crashed last year and
took a lot of info I had downloaded with it.

Anyone have a copy I can get from them?
Need to reset my time but I can't figure it out.

Haven't used it for a while and battery died and clock
is wrong and need reset, among other things I forgot how to do.

Anyone can send me a copy will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #13,462 of 13,478
Hi guys
Been a while since I've been here.

Need manual for the 220.
Checked ibasso site and it is not available.

Had it in pdf on other computer that crashed last year and
took a lot of info I had downloaded with it.

Anyone have a copy I can get from them?
Need to reset my time but I can't figure it out.

Haven't used it for a while and battery died and clock
is wrong and need reset, among other things I forgot how to do.

Anyone can send me a copy will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
I think you can find it on the iBasso site. Look for the DX 220 under Products.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #13,465 of 13,478
Hello everyone,
I have the iBasso DX220 with AMP8-EX module. I am always amazed by the sound quality of this DAP.
The main problem is that the CPU is a bit outdated and I cannot enjoy the full capabilities when I use Neutron Music Player in the Android environment for instant DSD conversion. This is a great feature provided with Neutron but it requires a powerful CPU for doing such a heavy task.

Now the question: is a modern USB dongle capable to reproduce a similar sound quality of DX220?

Thanks!
kalo86

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #13,466 of 13,478
Hello everyone,
I have the iBasso DX220 with AMP8-EX module. I am always amazed by the sound quality of this DAP.
The main problem is that the CPU is a bit outdated and I cannot enjoy the full capabilities when I use Neutron Music Player in the Android environment for instant DSD conversion. This is a great feature provided with Neutron but it requires a powerful CPU for doing such a heavy task.

Now the question: is a modern USB dongle capable to reproduce a similar sound quality of DX220?

Thanks!
kalo86
The only one I know of capable of producing really high quality sound to the level of the better daps is the DC Elite.

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #13,469 of 13,478
USB to computer, I don't see the 220.

I want to copy all music files to a folder for backup.
What am I missing?

Never tried to move files before.
What kind of computer? You are trying to copy from the internal memory? As far as a card reader, I never use a dap for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back