DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Aug 8, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #12,286 of 13,478
Hi everyone

just got this DAP and it's really great except one thing, it runs really, really hot. I kind of knew it was going to get warm but after 10-20 mins of audio playback it gets almost too hot to touch. I tried using lower bitrate mp3s, different music players, different AMP modules (AMP1 MkII, AMP8, AMP9) and tried both Android and Mango OS. In all cases it gets hot.

Yesterday I even loaded up Lurker's latest ROM thinking it would fix this issue but it hasn't.

So I'm wondering if:
- I have a defective unit or if this happens to all owners here
- if there are any tips/tricks that you have found to solve this

Thanks!
Do you have a way to measure the temperature (like one of those infrared thermometers or even a touch probe type) and report what you are seeing? If you search back in this thread you will see a number of owners have reported warm (some may even consider hot) temperatures - including me. I have checked mine and see around 105°F max on the top panel near the power button after 20 - 30 minutes of use. With one of the earlier FW releases the temperature did drop down to around 85°F but went back up in subsequent FW (or maybe it was a fluke having the lower readings...) to around 105°F which I still experience today. So definitely warm to the touch.

Following some of the other brands and their latest and greatest devices being released the warm/hot temperatures are not unique to the DX220. I look at it like this - high performance components, high power output/capability, etc will generate more heat. As others have said - better this heat be transferred to the case and out to the surroundings then be trapped inside to cook the internals...

Let us know if you get some measurements.

Oh - and welcome to DX220 ownership - enjoy!

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #12,287 of 13,478
Thanks for your kind words of welcome, and for the detailed explanation. I will try to take some heat readings but from what you describe it sounds like this is just how the device was designed, which I get but unfortunately gadgets that run hot is one of the things I'm very sensitive to. So I'll see if I get used to ti but more probably will have to sell if there is no solution...

Speaking of which, is there any equivalent DAP that doesn't run as hot? Or are all the TOTL DAPs out there as hot as the DX220?

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #12,288 of 13,478
Thanks for your kind words of welcome, and for the detailed explanation. I will try to take some heat readings but from what you describe it sounds like this is just how the device was designed, which I get but unfortunately gadgets that run hot is one of the things I'm very sensitive to. So I'll see if I get used to ti but more probably will have to sell if there is no solution...

Speaking of which, is there any equivalent DAP that doesn't run as hot? Or are all the TOTL DAPs out there as hot as the DX220?
I don't have any of the competing TOTL DAPs to have first hand knowledge about - stuck with the DX220 since it was released last year. I know several other members are excellent reviewers and have had their hands on the competition - hopefully they will see this and provide some meaningful inputs.

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #12,289 of 13,478
It does get hot but doesn't seem to affect it. I wouldn't worry, but if it does go wrong then you'll be able to get it fixed under warranty.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #12,290 of 13,478
Hi everyone

just got this DAP and it's really great except one thing, it runs really, really hot. I kind of knew it was going to get warm but after 10-20 mins of audio playback it gets almost too hot to touch. I tried using lower bitrate mp3s, different music players, different AMP modules (AMP1 MkII, AMP8, AMP9) and tried both Android and Mango OS. In all cases it gets hot.

Yesterday I even loaded up Lurker's latest ROM thinking it would fix this issue but it hasn't.

So I'm wondering if:
- I have a defective unit or if this happens to all owners here
- if there are any tips/tricks that you have found to solve this

Thanks!
The player get fairly warm, but not going to be too hot to touch. I had tried running DSD512 and push it into the range of too hot to cover up (like having it on a mattress, or blanket cover...etc..) and the player shut down. This warmth is normal for many delta sigma players, or players that are using heavy processing chips such as ES9028Pro....etc..

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #12,291 of 13,478
The player get fairly warm, but not going to be too hot to touch. I had tried running DSD512 and push it into the range of too hot to cover up (like having it on a mattress, or blanket cover...etc..) and the player shut down. This warmth is normal for many delta sigma players, or players that are using heavy processing chips such as ES9028Pro....etc..

Thanks. It sounds like I should have done my research better then because when I take it out and about it becomes a real issue, esp. these days with the hot weather. If someone has any other recommendations for DAPs that don't have this issue I'd love to hear them.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #12,292 of 13,478
Has anyone been able to connect their DX220 via USB into a USB 3.0 or 3.1 socket on their PC?

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #12,294 of 13,478
Thanks. It sounds like I should have done my research better then because when I take it out and about it becomes a real issue, esp. these days with the hot weather. If someone has any other recommendations for DAPs that don't have this issue I'd love to hear them.
The only players that don’t really get warmth would have to be Sony, but they are not as powerful as Ibasso

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #12,295 of 13,478
Any player can get warm and one with power will get warmer to hot especially if you don't have it ventilated like in a pocket. I have even small players that get hot in a pocket. I can use my phone but then you sacrifice sound and it doesn't have much power but it gets by.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #12,296 of 13,478
Any player can get warm and one with power will get warmer to hot especially if you don't have it ventilated like in a pocket. I have even small players that get hot in a pocket. I can use my phone but then you sacrifice sound and it doesn't have much power but it gets by.
Totally agreed!!!
Even my IPhone 11 Pro gets hot just streaming Netflix and LTE....I can’t imagine anything with a lot of prowess that can do without being heated up.
About 20 years ago, all of these Chips and processing CPU were impossible lol...I remember back the. I was building Intel Celeron PC desktop and many stuff back then are just “dream”

The Dx220 is a power house as far as Portable digital player goes

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #12,297 of 13,478
Totally agreed!!!
Even my IPhone 11 Pro gets hot just streaming Netflix and LTE....I can’t imagine anything with a lot of prowess that can do without being heated up.
About 20 years ago, all of these Chips and processing CPU were impossible lol...I remember back the. I was building Intel Celeron PC desktop and many stuff back then are just “dream”

The Dx220 is a power house as far as Portable digital player goes

I understand. Again I just didnt expect it to get so hot, it's def a great DAP it's just not usable for me when I take it outside...

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #12,298 of 13,478
Guys hi, can I control this player via my phone? How I can do that, please advise
I have tried to use Hiby app (installed on phone) but upon connecting with BT it gives an error (does not accept DX220 as connect device).
So I wonder which app can let me control the player. I am surprised why iBasso does not make its own app to control the player, that is Must Be!
Thanks in advance

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #12,299 of 13,478
Hi All

I've been enjoying the DX220 with AMP8 and Fostex TH610's as both desktop DAC with Roon and as standalone player in a desktop cradle with Tidal/Neutron.
I thought I'd share some software apps/mods I've done. I've created a video too.

I've added:
Nova Launcher Prime as default launcher.
Golden Glass Icons.
Full Screen Immersive to allow full screen of apps and also of the home screen widgets.
Control Screen Orientation to allow the DX220 to rotate the screen when in the dock.
Volume Styles for a vertical popup volume (swipe from left to show) I created a custom colour and volume template and positioned where I want it to pop up.
Gravity Screen to allow the DX220 to automatically turn the screen on and off when picked up or layed flat.
KWGT for a custom home screen widget with a custom music player widget I made. It works with all audio players to give a consistent display for playback and full size album art. All transport controls work and there's a shortcut to the music player thats currently playing. (Tidal, Neutron, Spotify, Youtube Music etc. doesnt work with mango player though)
I demo all this in the video below. (click the pic to go to the video)
iBasso DX220 mods by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back