DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #11,736 of 13,478
I'm entering the fourth week of waiting for the cables to start burning the amp 8 ex
I find that upgrading the base unit is a must to get the best of dx 220 sound.Sending my device will wait for better organized international traffic.
I noticed listening to amp 9, that over time, the expansion of the scene (like an inflating balloon), I'm very curious what can be gained by upgrading that amp

May 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #11,743 of 13,478
Has anyone been able to compare the amp8 and the amp3?

I would be very interested :wink:

Ok, firstly, I'm assuming you know they use different plugs, but just in case you (or anyone else) doesn't: AMP8 is 4.4mm balanced, AMP3 is 2.5mm balanced.
Also, note that both AMP3 and AMP8 were designed to be more powerful than the regular AMP1 Mk II, and should be able to drive most/any IEMs without trouble.

I've done a search of my previous posts about these two AMP units.
They were done at different times and with different gear.
Also, some were comparing AMP3 vs AMP5, or AMP1 MkII vs AMP8, so it may not be 100% the direct comparison you're seeking, but I've edited the highlights below to make a more direct comparison and hopefully this will be helpful for you:

"AMP1 Mk II vs AMP8, in simple terms, I would say that AMP1 is fairly neutral, with a tinge of musicality and nice mids.
Then I would say that AMP8 expands the soundstage out, is more dynamic, has considerably more power, a more impactful low end, more extended highs, as well as improved layering and separation"

"The AMP3 I recall is transparent, airy and spacious, combining good levels of detail with a lovely faint shimmering organic musicality that took it away from being too 'reference' and made it quite delightful to listen to".

May 3, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #11,745 of 13,478
@Layman1
thanks, I know my way around technically.

It's purely about the tonal differences.

Sure, I thought you would know the technical side, I just put that in for the benefit of people reading the thread who might not be aware :)
Hope the tonal descriptions were helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back