DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #11,356 of 13,478
Hey all
Bought a DX220 and have been burning in for a week. I'm an old fart and not very adept at the technical aspects of this stuff. So---I successfully downloaded Lurker and then Uapp. I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway--"I've created fire!!!" So--fired it up for the first time. I'm using Tansio Mirai Zodaics which are very efficient. Played some music. I had to turn up all the way. Checked in Uapp which stated that there were no volume controls available .(bitrate mode). So--being the technical genius that I am I thought I should check the DX220's audio settings. Max rate was at max I think (150) but I noticed I was at low gain. Now---with my One Plus 7 pro into the Xduoo 05 Plus I was on low gain and couldn't go anywhere near full up in low gain. On the 220 my max at low gain was just about enough. So I finally switched to high gain. I'm running at at about 75% which seems way too high. With my Xduoo there was plenty of gain for my Audeze LCD i3's. Haven't tried them yet on the 220 but I fear it will be too little gain. I am using 3.5mm--I know there is more gain balanced---but I just bought two 3.5mm cables (didn't know I was going to be an idiot and purchase the 220) and that's all of my dough for now. The next thing I'm saving for is an Amp 8ex and two balanced cables. What am I doing wrong? BTW---I mainly listen to Tidal HQ streaming
Hi Mike, I have the dx220 and I use mostly unbalanced cables to drive iems in mobility and with all my 10 iems it drive correctly each one with gain in low or medium mode except for tiehifi p1 that prefer high mode. Volume never pass 100/150. But I am using the amp7 that is a lot more powerful than amp1mk2. I also have the amp9 that sound great also with a little bit of hiss on the most sensibles iem and is prone to interference to radio signals (5ghz is terrific as noise but you could switch to 2.4 or use mango OS and so fix it) and moviment and vibrations. Using amp9 while walking is quite a pain. I think amp9 is the best sounding but better not move the player. I used also r70x (450ohm) on amp7 and it runs ok as volume. Consider I listen music never over 80db. Amp9 if I remember is the less powerfull of all but it can drive everything and it is only Single ended. With amp7 or amp8 I am sure you can drive about everything....

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #11,357 of 13,478
FYI please don't ask me to do any more amp mods etc, I've had a warning from Head-Fi, apparently I should do everyones mods for free. I already only charge cost for parts and shipping. My time was pretty much peanuts for the time it takes. They have also been looking at my personal ebay. So from now on no more mods, except my own and I may just delete my account :D
Damn I was wanting my amp7 doing not for free I might add

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #11,358 of 13,478
Ok---I'm a dummy. Let's get that out of the way. I installed Lurker and then Uapp. I have Tidal and Qobuz. When I'm streaming on Tidal (which is most of my listening) it works for about 5 minutes and then stops. Like if a song is 4 minutes long it will go into the next song for a bit and stop. I installed a wifi extender to try to get the best signal. Signal shows strong. I'm streaming at the highest possible quality. So I thought "maybe streaming at this quality is too demanding" So I tried streaming at a lower setting. Same thing. So I tried streaming with Qobuz. Same thing. I'm using Uapp. Which I hope to continue using. I'll try streaming from Tidal without Uapp--which is something I don't want to have to do.
One thing---when I tried to install Lurker I screwed up initially. I held down the play button too long I think. After it downloaded I trtied to start my 220. Dead. Won't start. I'm freaking out thinking that I bricked the thing. So I tried again to install Lurker. This time I released the play button at the correct time, I guess. Started up fine. I was able to download Uapp from the Google store.
I'm wondering if I should wipe the 220 clean (reset to original). And try again. Any thoughts?

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #11,360 of 13,478
Ok---tried running Qobuz and Tidal by themselves. Same thing. About 5 minutes and it drops the Wifi connection. And then the connection comes back on immediately. So---did a reset to factory. Odd thing---supposed to be a full reset--lose all apps.But---Lurker doesn't show up. But Google Play does. The Apk's now aren't on the desktop. Installed Tidal, Qobuz and Uapp. Tried all three. Same thing. After 5 minutes (approx.) it drops the connection. And then the connection immediately comes back. Also---I've tried it with two routers. Tried it in the same room as the routers. Same thing. Any ideas?

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #11,361 of 13,478
Ok---tried running Qobuz and Tidal by themselves. Same thing. About 5 minutes and it drops the Wifi connection. And then the connection comes back on immediately. So---did a reset to factory. Odd thing---supposed to be a full reset--lose all apps.But---Lurker doesn't show up. But Google Play does. The Apk's now aren't on the desktop. Installed Tidal, Qobuz and Uapp. Tried all three. Same thing. After 5 minutes (approx.) it drops the connection. And then the connection immediately comes back. Also---I've tried it with two routers. Tried it in the same room as the routers. Same thing. Any ideas?
Hey there @mikejazz - welcome to the DX220 owners community! I only use the wifi capabilities for OTA FW updates and also only use the stock, iBasso provided, software - so I am certainly no expert regarding your specific issues. However, I have been on the DX220 ride since the beginning discussions that started long ago in other threads and have read every page/post in this thread. I know that others have encountered similar/same issues and you may find solutions by searching this thread or the other DX220 thread dedicated to software update requests. No guarantee but worth a shot. Or maybe someone will help out that has directly applicable knowledge.

You may want to consider going back to 100% stock iBasso configuration and seeing if that works without issues for you. Maybe even consider downloading/copying all of your music to a memory card so you can enjoy the incredible sound quality of the DX220 without the frustrations, etc. I realize this is most likely a major inconvenience to how you want to use it but it is a viable alternate...

Anyone else have some sage advice to help out here?

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #11,362 of 13,478
Like @mikejazz I am a newbie to the DX220 (and in fact a newbie to android OS and to DAPs!).
Sorry to ask a couple of very basic questions as I play around with it.
1) I've heard reference to lurker and uapp; what are these?
2) I assume the two EQs only work if you listen through the Mango app directly?
3) If I download music from Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz etc, should I be able to play that music through Mango? Is there any difference in sound quality if I play through Mango vs. the native app (again, referring to downloaded content)?

Thanks and apologies again for the basic questions!

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #11,363 of 13,478
Like @mikejazz I am a newbie to the DX220 (and in fact a newbie to android OS and to DAPs!).
Sorry to ask a couple of very basic questions as I play around with it.
1) I've heard reference to lurker and uapp; what are these?
2) I assume the two EQs only work if you listen through the Mango app directly?
3) If I download music from Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz etc, should I be able to play that music through Mango? Is there any difference in sound quality if I play through Mango vs. the native app (again, referring to downloaded content)?

Thanks and apologies again for the basic questions!
Welcome to the community!

Info about Lurker modified FW - search the head-fi forums or go here: https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-Firmware-Add-on/releases - @Lurker0 is a member here on head-fi and goes out of his way to help folks out.

UAPP - USB Audio Player Pro is an app - read more here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_US

Regarding eq usage the conventional 10 band eq is available in both Mango and Android Modes. The PEQ is only available under Android Mode.

On your third question - hopefully some of the other experts will share their thoughts and wisdom!

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #11,364 of 13,478
Welcome to the community!

Info about Lurker modified FW - search the head-fi forums or go here: https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-Firmware-Add-on/releases - @Lurker0 is a member here on head-fi and goes out of his way to help folks out.

UAPP - USB Audio Player Pro is an app - read more here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_US

Regarding eq usage the conventional 10 band eq is available in both Mango and Android Modes. The PEQ is only available under Android Mode.

On your third question - hopefully some of the other experts will share their thoughts and wisdom!

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks a bunch, very helpful

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #11,367 of 13,478
Try 5ghz. :)

D292929E-81B0-410A-8A5B-D4C1CF87F684.jpeg

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #11,368 of 13,478
I normally use pure Mango to play DSF (DSD256) files without issue through wired IEMs but am having to switch to Mango app in Android so I can use a pair of Bluetooth cans (HifiMAN Ananda BT). I have searched this thread but the search terms are not specific enough. @Paul - iBasso : Will the Mango app play DSF at all? It says that it is not supported!

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #11,369 of 13,478
I normally use pure Mango to play DSF (DSD256) files without issue through wired IEMs but am having to switch to Mango app in Android so I can use a pair of Bluetooth cans (HifiMAN Ananda BT). I have searched this thread but the search terms are not specific enough. @Paul - iBasso : Will the Mango app play DSF at all? It says that it is not supported!
That topic was discussed here few times. Mango Player apk doesn’t make any downsampling to match BT codec.
You have to use alternative players.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #11,370 of 13,478
I'm having problems with my dx220, after installing the amp9 I'm getting a constant hiss from both my Anole VX and EE Phantom. There was no hissing on the amp1 mkII. I tried factory reset and adjusting gain however neither helped :frowning2:

Not sure if its a defective Amp9 or if I'm doing something wrong.

If anyone knows a solution or any tips I would greatly appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back