DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 13, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,966 of 13,478
I actually have never heard tube amp. Hopefully it is different enough to make a side grade to my amp8
Hmm.. its different, and even IMO, is not a side grade... AMP9 fluidity is consider the main difference from other AMP...
again, better try it first... And AMP9 is not consider Tube Amp sounding...

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #10,967 of 13,478
Then, iBasso can't make any sound change on their own product as there is no possibility to improve the sound via rom, right? Then, iBasso should stop to invest more effort on their software and stop pushing updates as the sound can't be improved :S No sense

Software updates are for improving functioanlity, not the sound. Astell Kern said they don't change the sound via firmware updates. I'm sure it is the same for other DAP manufacturers.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #10,971 of 13,478
Wm1A and Wm1Z has it own DSP cores, which isn’t built in like Delta Sigma Chips such as ES9028Pros or other DAPs.

This DSP cores is programmable similar to Chord FPGA technology. That is why Firmware can change the algorithms and the way it directly applying the DSP in processing. That resulted in changes

Now, Delta-Sigma and SOC systems on DAP are all relying on a Single Battery Power supply. The way the SOC utilize itself and consuming power will Affect how it process the whole system.

These below lines are simplified example

Imagine a big subway system, passengers are Data bits, and the SOC is the main Directors. Now, if it had plenty of Empty subway, each passenger will have plenty of seats....if it does Not, then passengers will be cramped together.

So, when cramped together, some Husband and Wife or Child and parents may be slowed down and lacked behind where as the rest of other passengers went on ahead. Given a buffer and the error compensation a station with timed basis. Whoever arrived after 5 minutes are cut off and or filtered out....so some husband and wife or kids may arrive late even on the same subway, and will be filtered to put away.

Back to when the subways are empty, passengers has plenty of seats, no passengers will be lagged behind in the 5 minutes window, then all informations are preserved

That is where things can change. Those subway are like your power supply, which is also the main different between a Full-size Desktop systems VS a carriable such as DMP-Z1 which has independent Battery.....and or a DAP which has everything tapped into the PSU. It is also the main differences from when you are using an External Portable Dedicated DAC or Amp

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #10,972 of 13,478
Additionally, the Director can be instructed by firmware in how it behave and utilize itself....So, can we say that Firmware do effect sound ?

Anyways, it is facts that firmware do affect sound quality. You don’t have to believe it, the matters is “could you tell the differences ?”

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #10,973 of 13,478
Additionally, the Director can be instructed by firmware in how it behave and utilize itself....So, can we say that Firmware do effect sound ?

Anyways, it is facts that firmware do affect sound quality. You don’t have to believe it, the matters is “could you tell the differences ?”
Yes agreed. Some people here ignore the fact that they might see better than hear. We are all biologicaly different.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #10,974 of 13,478
Yes agreed. Some people here ignore the fact that they might see better than hear. We are all biologicaly different.
And to take the facts further, human is only 1.2% different in DNA than Monkey

To take it even further, a few of us is uniquely genius.....

Now, why do we crave for those last drop of % in Audio enthusiasms ? I have friend and even wife who are very happy with just earpods X_X....they are so lucky, and I am jealous

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #10,976 of 13,478
Some people don't believe in burn in, some don't believe ROM's can improve the sound. To each their own.

All I know is what I can hear and that's all that matters to me.
Agreed, I keep saying this “if we all have the same taste and preferences, we all is going to have the same wife or husband”

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #10,977 of 13,478
Some people don't believe in burn in, some don't believe ROM's can improve the sound. To each their own.

All I know is what I can hear and that's all that matters to me.

But what I cannot understand is, whatever burn-in exists or not is a pretty objective scientific question. Someone should conduct an experiment and prove/disprove this and end this debate.

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #10,978 of 13,478
Scientists has already proven that capacitors and resistors will slowly “drift into the engineered specification parameters” once is being applied on the specific design.

In fact, on the data sheets, you will see it disclosed everywhere

that means, during operational in a given design, the parameters will slowly drift into specs. It happens more for “super high precision tolerances” such as 0.1% and or 0.05%.

what else do you want to prove ? Or better yet, you can map out a way to do it, and enlighten us all :wink:

So, if Capacitors and Resistors do that, what makes you think the components it is supporting such as SIC, SOC, FET, IC....etc....don’t change ?

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #10,980 of 13,478
But what I cannot understand is, whatever burn-in exists or not is a pretty objective scientific question. Someone should conduct an experiment and prove/disprove this and end this debate.

There is evidence that suggests transducers in larger headphones can experience burn-in, and that this could, in theory, produce different sound over time. Again, no one has shown this conclusively, largely because a) companies aren't rushing to tell audiophiles they've been wrong all these years and b) there's no single industry standard for testing headphones."

So there's no industry-wide conclusive standard for burning in. There's little real data about the process.

https://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/459117-science-and-myth-burning-headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back