DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 13, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #10,953 of 13,478
doing the calculations between advanced rom and $ 499 mod amp, isn't it worth taking a desktop amp?
For me nope, its more than worth, furthermore, if you buy the advanced rom (100$), you will have the shipping free (its 50$) so you can play with more options because he's offering you to buy a new one amp8 and then he modifies and send it

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #10,956 of 13,478
The sound quality shouldn't differ. So using it with the smartphone's better UI and screen is the idea.
S10+Mojo sounds better than DX220 with Focal Elegia. The difference isn't extreme but it is immediately noticeable when doing A/B
lg v20-mojo for me no better than dx220, the same r3-mojo does not exceed the dx220, the dx is simply cleaner separated and more spacious.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #10,957 of 13,478
does rom + amp8ex sound better than a desktop amp at the same price?
I don't have an amp8ex nor a proper desktop amp, just a normal setup so I can't tell you anything about your question. But they are different things at all, portable setup and desktop setups, they can't sound similar in any way

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #10,959 of 13,478
I never received an answer to my question a few pages back. In a nutshell , is there any improvement to stock rom Android-UAPP use ONLY with advanced ROM? UAPP bypasses Android OS.

Probably not. IMO a ROM can't make a sound improvement at all.

But regardless of what other people say, you can only know that if you buy and try it by yourself

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #10,960 of 13,478

But regardless of what other people say, you can only know that if you buy and try it by yourself
Then, iBasso can't make any sound change on their own product as there is no possibility to improve the sound via rom, right? Then, iBasso should stop to invest more effort on their software and stop pushing updates as the sound can't be improved :S No sense

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #10,961 of 13,478
doing the calculations between advanced rom and $ 499 mod amp, isn't it worth taking a desktop amp?
Dx220 main plus side is its portability. So after modding and custom rom, if it can compare compete or come close to Flagship dabs that are non/barely portable, i prefer ibasso any time.
Desktop amp is desktop gear, its got nothing to do with portable audio.

For example, with a total price of dx220, custom rom, and amp mod i can get chord hugo2 too but this is different category.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #10,962 of 13,478

I understand where you're coming from, and as a general skeptic myself, I would be tempted to say the same thing except there are clear sound differences in various Ibasso stock version rom releases. I'm not sure if these are due to deliberate changes to DAC or audio parameters, or a side effect of components of Android build details. The latter seems to have been the case when I had the DX90 and presumably had to do with the efficiency of the OS (since the CPU availability played a [small?] part in the digital to analog conversion?).

To pontificate a bit more on my beliefs, for example, I'm a cable skeptic on paper. I don't see any way the difference between cable components (say copper vs silver) could make a difference in sound over short lengths (yes, I know they have slightly different conductivities). Yet I believe I have consistently heard them. But I can't swear to the absence of expectation or confirmation bias.

Sorry for blathering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back