DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #8,941 of 13,478
@chaiyuta thanks for your insights! It doesn't surprise me that Sony might be the only one doing something special. Sharing common ground doesn't seem like an approach anyone would take based on normal audio device design principles. I thought that there might be an advantage for some of the full sized headphone cables with shielding to use the 5th pole as the RF/EMI shield. Anyways, it's a non-issue for me and we can put this to rest that Amp8 doesn't have the 5th pole connected.

My (normal) Amp8 arrived today so it's time for me to burn this is, enjoy it for a while, compare with Amp1Mk2 and Amp9, then doing the EX mod myself :)

I went in and manually connected the 5th pole to the ground plane using pure silver wire scavenged from an old Whiplash TWAg cable. The sound actually became ever so slightly noisier.

Using the 5th pole ground may be best for desktop AC amps with a true earth ground rather than DC applications. I've heard that the guys at Music Sanctuary had similar findings in testing modifications on DAPs.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #8,943 of 13,478
My (normal) Amp8 arrived today so it's time for me to burn this is, enjoy it for a while, compare with Amp1Mk2 and Amp9, then doing the EX mod myself :)[/USER]

Nice~ The charm of mod-by-self that is you can use your own specific parts picking. At the end, you will get an uniqueness AMP module. Among "Ojisan", you will be "Ojisan-est". :military_medal:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #8,944 of 13,478
Anyone using amp8 with HD800? I got the 4.4 stock Sennheiser cable today. It sounds ok driving the HD800. It's loud enough, but certain not even close to what a desktop amp can do for the HD800.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #8,945 of 13,478
Anyone using amp8 with HD800? I got the 4.4 stock Sennheiser cable today. It sounds ok driving the HD800. It's loud enough, but certain not even close to what a desktop amp can do for the HD800.

When I had dx208 at the time with hdv820+hd800s.
It was a no brainer hdv820 just ate dx200 as an entree for super lol.

To be honest hd800s is very hard to drive headphone you need a load amount of proper power and good synergy. They sounded best from hdv820 sorry .

Oct 22, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #8,946 of 13,478
When I had dx208 at the time with hdv820+hd800s.
It was a no brainer hdv820 just ate dx200 as an entree for super lol.

To be honest hd800s is very hard to drive headphone you need a load amount of proper power and good synergy. They sounded best from hdv820 sorry .

Yeah. I wasn't surprised. I just felt it would sound a little better than what I heard.

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #8,948 of 13,478
Folks with amp8+it04:

Whats your vol. level+gain setting?

I'm @ 50 with med gains?

From what I understand, dx220 uses a digital gain system. It's not analogue, so doesn't really matter. I tried it with my IEM and headphone, other than loudness level, everything sounds the same.

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #8,949 of 13,478
From what I understand, dx220 uses a digital gain system. It's not analogue, so doesn't really matter. I tried it with my IEM and headphone, other than loudness level, everything sounds the same.
Actually analog attenuation is preferred rather than digital attenuations. With the new production IC, every brand name companies have already solved some of the digital attenuations problems. Still, no digital attenuations, and analog attenuations is a preferred implementations. You can look into Sony DMP-Z1 to understand more of why they keep on talking about the RK501 volume attenuators on it

the trade off is that analog attenuations would increase the footprint of the device to be as large as the DMP, while digital attenuations can minimize the foot-print very well.

theoretically speaking. It depends on your gears that you are pairing with, but most of the time, it is better to use low gain at higher volume for any digital attenuated system such as Ibasso dx220

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #8,950 of 13,478
Actually analog attenuation is preferred rather than digital attenuations. With the new production IC, every brand name companies have already solved some of the digital attenuations problems. Still, no digital attenuations, and analog attenuations is a preferred implementations. You can look into Sony DMP-Z1 to understand more of why they keep on talking about the RK501 volume attenuators on it

the trade off is that analog attenuations would increase the footprint of the device to be as large as the DMP, while digital attenuations can minimize the foot-print very well.

theoretically speaking. It depends on your gears that you are pairing with, but most of the time, it is better to use low gain at higher volume for any digital attenuated system such as Ibasso dx220

That's what I'm implying. Analogue gain is better.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #8,951 of 13,478
That's what I'm implying. Analogue gain is better.
Well - there are pros and cons of each approach as most everyone is probably aware. A few of the key dislikes I have of analog volume control are 1) deterioration over time as the components wear or form oxidation layers or accumulation of dirt/dust/etc, 2) possible entry points for noise and interference into the circuitry, and 3) take up more physical space. For me the key advantage or benefit is the extra fine resolution of changes in volume you get with analog vs the typical digital control.

Anyone else have pros and cons to share?

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #8,952 of 13,478
Well - there are pros and cons of each approach as most everyone is probably aware. A few of the key dislikes I have of analog volume control are 1) deterioration over time as the components wear or form oxidation layers or accumulation of dirt/dust/etc, 2) possible entry points for noise and interference into the circuitry, and 3) take up more physical space. For me the key advantage or benefit is the extra fine resolution of changes in volume you get with analog vs the typical digital control.

Anyone else have pros and cons to share?

Cheers,
Tim

you are correct on those counts, and hence RK501 is pretty expensive for what it is....not only performances, quality, but also the longevity. The Volume knob on the DMP-Z1 is quiet unique as that Sony found out, the chassis that contains and shield the attenuators as ground points will also affect the so quality. They had gone through multiple set up with different aluminum and Brass enclosure.....finally to set-on the Copper Goldplated knobs, and the Stock Goldplated Brass from RK50

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #8,953 of 13,478
you are correct on those counts, and hence RK501 is pretty expensive for what it is....not only performances, quality, but also the longevity. The Volume knob on the DMP-Z1 is quiet unique as that Sony found out, the chassis that contains and shield the attenuators as ground points will also affect the so quality. They had gone through multiple set up with different aluminum and Brass enclosure.....finally to set-on the Copper Goldplated knobs, and the Stock Goldplated Brass from RK50
It does look pretty crazy. Nice. Who makes it? How is it better than a relay that puts just one resistor (high quality) in the signal path? That would be my question but it does look pretty fine.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #8,954 of 13,478
It does look pretty crazy. Nice. Who makes it? How is it better than a relay that puts just one resistor (high quality) in the signal path? That would be my question but it does look pretty fine.

Alps made it, and I guess you need to look around for more info on it. The RK50 is very well regarded for analog attenuators. It is $1000 per unit if you buy it for DIY purposes, and the wait time could be 1-3 months

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #8,955 of 13,478
I wonder if the new Max will drive HD800 to a satisfying level. Probably will introduce more hiss for sensitive IEMs. It's hard to do well at everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back