DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #8,641 of 13,478
Btw, since a few people asked me about this before, after the last DX220 fw update, iBasso added a new setting for AMP9 in System Settings under Audio Setting where you can select Low or High output option, sort of like an extra output boost setting for AMP9. This Audio Setting will only show up when you have AMP9 plugged in. I think some people got confused looking for it while they had other amp modules connected. Once AMP9 is connected, you can go in and change this setting.

What gain setting for AMP9? Not the low or high output but actual gain. Curious because I don't hear much of any hiss on the low gain setting.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #8,642 of 13,478
Going SE to Balanced can damage the headphones. You can go Balanced to SE but not the other way around.

I think you’re more likely to damage the amp than the headphones - which are passive devices that don’t really care if they’re sharing a ground or not. But you are shorting two negative poles on the amp.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #8,643 of 13,478
Btw, since a few people asked me about this before, after the last DX220 fw update, iBasso added a new setting for AMP9 in System Settings under Audio Setting where you can select Low or High output option, sort of like an extra output boost setting for AMP9. This Audio Setting will only show up when you have AMP9 plugged in. I think some people got confused looking for it while they had other amp modules connected. Once AMP9 is connected, you can go in and change this setting.

That’s only in Android mode correct? I am fairly happy with Mango mode with the latest FW upgrade, sound quality is top notch (and that’s the reason I use Mango), but I wish iBasso could invest a bit more time on the music app and make it as refined as the Android Mango Player. One other option that wouldn’t shock me is if they turned it completely different in the interface, more like a retro portable music player/walkman (you know, with cleaner design, big buttons, like a dedicated player), at least I wouldn’t be tempted to compare.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #8,644 of 13,478
What gain setting for AMP9? Not the low or high output but actual gain. Curious because I don't hear much of any hiss on the low gain setting.

Sensitive IEMs only, John. Even with low gain setting and low output setting of AMP9, Solaris and Andromeda hissing is very noticeable. And there is also waterfall hissing with IT04. But that's expected behavior with high sensitivity lower impedance IEMs. Also, our own ear sensitivity will be a contributing factor. With iEMatch and Solaris/Andro - hissing completely gone!

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #8,645 of 13,478
OK, here we go. Had some fun testing this pair up now :wink:

DX220 with the latest fw update, stock amp1mk2 (2.5mm output), amp8 (4.4mm output), amp9 (3.5mm output). Tested DX220 in low/mid/high gain with Westone ES60 CIEMs (46 ohm impedance, 118dB sensitivity). Also, was using DDhifi 2.5mm to 3.5mm and 4.4mm adapters.

ES60 is a rather sensitive CIEM, and with amp1mk2 and amp8 I hear a very faint background waterfall hiss, only noticeable when idling or playing with volume set at 0. It's almost on the same level between these two, maybe a touch more with amp8, but i'm really splitting hairs here.

But, once you switch to amp9 and plug in ES60, the hissing is quite noticeable even at a regular listening volume level. That is expected with sensitive IEMs, even at low output audio setting of amp9.

So, I think you will be good with a stock amp1mk2 and amp8 with your ES60, great pair up actually! But, I don't suggest ES60 with amp9.

The amp 8 sounds like the best setup. I may also buy HD800 again and drive it with the Dx220. I got out of the full size game after selling Susvara and went to speakers. When I'm on the run use my ES60, but something about not having any fullsized cans just makes you like something is missing. Now with HD800, the vocals do sound quite better with a tube amp. Not sure if that's the case with amp9.

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #8,646 of 13,478
anyone done a comparrison between amp1mkii and amp7?

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #8,647 of 13,478
Finally got a chance to listen to the Rumors album on Mango.
Oh my god

Dx220 + amp8 + tia trio :astonished:

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #8,649 of 13,478
How does amp 8 Sound compared to amp 1 mkii? Can the DX220 be ordered with just amp 8?

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #8,651 of 13,478
OK, here we go. Had some fun testing this pair up now :wink:

DX220 with the latest fw update, stock amp1mk2 (2.5mm output), amp8 (4.4mm output), amp9 (3.5mm output). Tested DX220 in low/mid/high gain with Westone ES60 CIEMs (46 ohm impedance, 118dB sensitivity). Also, was using DDhifi 2.5mm to 3.5mm and 4.4mm adapters.

ES60 is a rather sensitive CIEM, and with amp1mk2 and amp8 I hear a very faint background waterfall hiss, only noticeable when idling or playing with volume set at 0. It's almost on the same level between these two, maybe a touch more with amp8, but i'm really splitting hairs here.

But, once you switch to amp9 and plug in ES60, the hissing is quite noticeable even at a regular listening volume level. That is expected with sensitive IEMs, even at low output audio setting of amp9.

So, I think you will be good with a stock amp1mk2 and amp8 with your ES60, great pair up actually! But, I don't suggest ES60 with amp9.

Just got to listen to the amp8. It's as you described with the ES60 using Dita Oslo. Waterfall hiss similar to AK380. Nice full sound with ES60. It give ES60 a nice boost. I'm not sure if amp8 needs burn in or not but I'm going to let it run for a little bid.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #8,652 of 13,478
I would still like to know the sound difference between Amp1mkii and Amp8.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #8,653 of 13,478
I would still like to know the sound difference between Amp1mkii and Amp8.

Covered it in sound analysis, somewhere in the middle when you scroll my review.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #8,654 of 13,478
Just got to listen to the amp8. It's as you described with the ES60 using Dita Oslo. Waterfall hiss similar to AK380. Nice full sound with ES60. It give ES60 a nice boost. I'm not sure if amp8 needs burn in or not but I'm going to let it run for a little bid.

Definitely benefits from a burn in, give it at least 100hrs before you start with a more critical analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back